Had a chance to see Mike Landau and Kirk Fletcher last weekend.....

Blueswede

Platinum Supporting Member
At the Baked Potato in Studio City. What a great venue! For an hour and a half, Mike and Kirk lit that place up......two of the best guitar players out there, IMO......Had Gary Novak on drums and Andy Hess on bass. What an outstanding rhythm section! Really, really great show......!

Blueswede

Same as us......early or late show? I'd have loved to be there for the 11:30 show......I can imagine that it was even better!!

DaGlenster

I was there Friday for both shows. Loved it more blues & rock than Landau's usual shows and Kirk Fletcher is a great player. I've seen them there together before but not for the whole show. Landau at the potato is all ways a great show and I've seen many in the last couple years, each different depending on the band. Andy Hess and Novak seem to be his blues rock rhythm section though Gary Novak is his usual drummer; what a powerhouse drummer.
And then there is the Baked Potato which defy's itself in being a great venue. How does it sound so great in that little box of a place?

DaGlenster

Just curious.....how long was the second show?
I think it was the usual 1 1/2 hour show. Did the guy that recorded the Raging Honkeys show up for the early show? I remember they did "In the Sun" but don't remember what show. I left pretty soon after the show's end and was home by 1:30ish; I'm in west covina.

Blueswede

Yeah, there was some guy that was a buddy of Mikes.......didn't really get the connection. But he sure enjoyed standing around on stage......o_O

Mark Robinson

I stayed for both. I wish they would offset the whole night an hour earlier. I can't even consider a show during the week with the stupid ass 9:30 start. I would spend a lot more money there if it was considerate of normal working people. WTF is so important going on earlier keeping the musicians of the stage?

tinkercity

Silver Supporting Member
Was there Friday night as well for both shows. WOW what a show. Kirk is a nice fit with Mike. Definitely more blues than jazz but really good. Such killer tones too. Mike was using his LA Sound Design boards, his dual humbucker strat and a deluxe reverb/HRD for amps. No Dumble for this run it seemed.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
I stayed for both. I wish they would offset the whole night an hour earlier. I can't even consider a show during the week with the stupid ass 9:30 start. I would spend a lot more money there if it was considerate of normal working people. WTF is so important going on earlier keeping the musicians of the stage?
Live music in bars and clubs has traditionally been part of "night life", which is aimed at folks who stay up late and drink on most any night--the "night tribe" or the "party people".
Most people are not part of the "night tribe", particularly as they age out their twenties, settle down, get jobs they have to be up early and bright-eyed for, etc.
There's a lot of people who enjoy live music, that aren't part of the night tribe. They might still want to "go out" for entertainment on a given night, but they want to be in bed, or at least at home and getting ready for bed, by 10pm or so. This is why movie houses and theatre starts between 7 and 8pm.
Live music = late night has been the norm for so long, that most folks don't even consider looking for early evening live music. A club that tries that option--say an early show at 7:30 and the traditional late show of 9:30 will have to do a lot of work to get the word out. It'll take money and time, probably six months or more, before it makes it onto people's radar. In the meantime, the cost for a given evening will go up, as the club has to be open for public business earlier than normal, the sound guy has to show up earlier than normal, and there's a second bill to pay for, probably to smaller audiences than the late night bill. It's a risk, and one that I've seen a few clubs take, but they rarely seemed to go all in--it'd be one night a week that had an early show, there was no additional promotional push to get the word out, after three months or so, they'd give up.

The places I've seen early shows work at have been small theater sized--300+ capacity, reserve seating with tables type places, and predominantly small touring acts and the cream of the local acts.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
Not that easy to get places before nine in LA! Get home after work, get dressed for the evening, and then get to the club. Heck, for some it's tough even if they skip the get home part.

People like to make fun of Dodger fans for getting there late, for a 7 pm game. Good luck with that, for people that can't get off early and work/live somewhere other than nearby.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
Not that easy to get places before nine in LA! Get home after work, get dressed for the evening, and then get to the club. Heck, for some it's tough even if they skip the get home part.

People like to make fun of Dodger fans for getting there late, for a 7 pm game. Good luck with that, for people that can't get off early and work/live somewhere other than nearby.
What time do the evening movies in LA start at?

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
What time do the evening movies in LA start at?
Lots of choices! And lots of movie theaters, probably one near where you live, that also has start times that work for you. Just took a quick google look at theaters near to me, there are five multiplexes that are fairly close, randomly picked Rogue One, I have my choice of start times ranging from 7:15 to 8:30.

tinkercity

Silver Supporting Member
How did Kirks Tyler sound?
Snappy as a MF'er! That thing sounded BIG. I mean like super snap. Nice compliment to Mike's tone for sure. They work really well together actually.

In L.A. between people's work schedules and traffic if you schedule a show at 7pm no one will be there. It's just the way it is. This town tends to operate night life from about 8/8:30pm-2am.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
Lots of choices! And lots of movie theaters, probably one near where you live, that also has start times that work for you. Just took a quick google look at theaters near to me, there are five multiplexes that are fairly close, randomly picked Rogue One, I have my choice of start times ranging from 7:15 to 8:30.
Precisely. So, if people can make it to a movie or a dinner reservation at those early hours, they could do the same for live music. Yet, the market is reluctant to provide those shows.

Trending Topics