1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Had a good gig with DLSv2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BradB41, May 22, 2011.

1. BradB41

BradB41 Member

I'd gigged with a DLS v2 before, but I had really only used it as my "Marshally" overdrive pedal. It sounds good as a stand alone OD pedal, but it shines when you use it as directed by the good folks at Catalinbred.

I pretty much ran it all night last night on Rock mode with the internal toggle slid to the left. I set the tone at about 11, loudness from noon to 2 and the gain from 10 to 2 depending on the tune. I was able get a nice warm crunchy, chimey tone out of my Tele and MAz 18. I think it's going to be a permanent fixture on the board.

2. Steve73

Steve73 Member

It's my fav OD pedal ever I think. It sounds great in the mix and it just works through whatever rig I am using it through. I really prefer it at 18v versus 9v though.

3. BradB41

BradB41 Member

I need to try that. How is it different at 18v and how do you set it up?

4. Steve73

Steve73 Member

It is less compressed and sounds more like an amp overdriven at 18v, which could be a good or bad thing, depending on how you are using it. For me, it sounds more like my cranked Superbass at 18v. More dynamics for sure, though unity on the volume dial is at like 1 or 2 then. I am using a Pedalpower 2 with a two 9v outputs daisy chained to a single 18v plug.

5. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

I want to goose the front of mine with a Super Chili Picoso to give me a boost for solos (with a little agged gain to boot). Do I need to run the SCP @ 18V too or will it sound ok and give me what I'm looking for if I run it @ 9V?

6. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

I don't think there is a necessity to run the SCP at the same voltage as the DLS. It's more a matter of preference in tone and feel I suspect, unless you have a power supply limited to one voltage or the other.

I really like the DLS at 12V using a PP2+. It sounds too anemic to me at 9V, and while it sounds great at 18V the volume at that voltage can be very difficult to integrate with other pedals and amp settings. The 12V power setting provides a good compromise in terms of tone, feel and output.

In contrast, I prefer the tone of the Catalinbread SFT and FN5 at 9V, maybe 12V max. If I only have access to a 9V supply, then I tend to prefer the FN5 over the DLS. They differ in low end fatness and gain levels, but there are enough similarities in the core distortion tone to make them a little redundant on the same board. The SFT is a whole 'nother beast.

7. Blunder

Blunder Supporting Member

Don't run the SCP at 18v. You might end up with a Chile Relleno. :cool:
    It sounds just fine at 9v anyways. That's plenty of juice to hit the DLS with. I use the SCP/DLS combo and like it quite a bit.

8. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

I tried it last night and wasn't too thrilled, seemed to just compress it more and didn't make it stand out too much (slight volume boost but not enough to cut through the band).

I need something to give me a good boost with a little additional gain for solos, has to work in a full, somewhat loud, band situation on stage.....

9. Blunder

Did you try it after the DLS? You'll get less compression and more of a volume boost that way.

10. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

Yes, that's how I currently use it and it does give a nice volume bump. Still looking for a touch more "hair" to go with it. Love both the pedals btw, great sounding stuff.....

11. duderanimous

duderanimous Monsterpiece Fuzz - Fuzz Master Extraordinaire Silver Supporting Member

I finally just recently got one of these. It's pretty cool, but I am still in the learning stage as far as it's capabilities are... what I really need is for the time in a day to be extended from 24 to 30 hours so I have more time to actually play my guitar other than when I am testing just completed pedals

12. Blunder

I know exactly what you mean:cool: