Had a little break through with the whole "guitar through headphones" thing...

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Tito83, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Briandress

Briandress Member

I grabbed some of the Sennheiser HD58x off massdrop for like 150. Best 150 ive ever spent for my headphone rockin lifestyle. Thy sound so clear and level. Add in Sonarworks 4 and Goodhertz Open Cans plugins and wow what an amazing difference.

PB26 and specialidiot like this.
  2. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides!

An eastbound man, in a westbound lane (ATL)
    Don't laugh, but my favorite cans for practicing guitar (note that I say "my favorite", not necessarily "the best") are a cheap (~$15 on Amazon) set of Koss KSC75 ear clips. I typically am practicing with one of my various tube amps through my OX (which, BTW was THE game changer for me in silent playing), but will also use them with my various modelers while on the road.

I like the open back nature; the sound reproduction is surprisingly good, given the price point; they are super compact and easy to travel with; and, best of all, they are so cheap (although they have proven reasonably durable) that I have zero worries about traveling with them.

I also have a set of the Sennheiser HD58x cans as well, which are, objectively, much better than the Koss clips, but I still reach out for the Koss clips 9 times out of 10 when I'm practicing. I particularly like them if I can run the amp at low volume at the same time, so I can superimpose the amp's output with the headphones'. This makes for an even better, more realistic experience, while still letting me sing along or play along with a recording, while also retaining the spatial cues from being able to hear the room around me.

3. ilyslue2

ilyslue2 Member

They are really great for tracking....they have a detail in the sound that really help you to hear exactly what you are playing....

archtop, ChrisVereb and Elric like this.
  4. Cactusprick

Cactusprick Member

Thanks for this. I am not fond of wearing "over the head" types for practice and this looks very nice. Will def check it out.

LordByron likes this.
  5. dspellman

dspellman Member

I may be seriously out of date, but I've always found the 240D's, the Sennheiser 280's, the BeyerDynamic 770s and the Sony 7506's are studio standards for a reason. They may not be as popular outside the studio, largely because they don't have boomy bottom end, etc., but they're comfortable and have really good response. I've used the 240s and the 7506s forever. You're spending in the $100-200 range.

estrago1 and Elric like this.
  6. ltkojak

ltkojak Member

I guess nobody noticed this is a five-year old thread???

Chocol8, Tobin1634 and PBGas like this.
  7. Brandon7s

Brandon7s Member

That's cause the Koss KSC75 is stupidly good, especially for the price! They have the best bang for your buck in audio quality in the business.

LordByron and Cactusprick like this.
  8. Cactusprick

Cactusprick Member

I have one ordered on the way - to replace my old Sennheiser which just started to break apart. Always excited to have new cheap stuff that works well!

LordByron likes this.
  9. specialidiot

specialidiot most likely to seceede Gold Supporting Member

I have the same set and really like them - better than my Grado SR80's. For late night jamming I run my board and iPad into a Carl Martin Rock Bug and am fairly satisfied. In fact sometimes if I come in to my music room and it's still set up from the night before I might not bother reconnecting to my amp.

[​IMG]

Madmax25 and LordByron like this.
  10. JimSoprano

JimSoprano Member

I only play with headphones at home. I bought AT50X's specially for that, but my Sony bluetooth phones actually sounded better for guitar, more relaxed, not the hyped high freqs.

11. filo01

filo01 Member

Which one? I have AT50X at home for some days and I share your opinion about hi freqs.

12. JimSoprano

JimSoprano Member

Sony WH-CH700N

filo01 likes this.
  13. filo01

filo01 Member

@JimSoprano - I can confirm your thoughts about Sony WH-CH700N. Good but after A/B comparison I still prefer for playing and my ears my cheap T-Bone HD880 with "wattepads" (don't know English term for that) mod. They are a little bit brighter but definitely louder, fuller sounding and preserve character more than mentioned Sony.

14. JimSoprano

JimSoprano Member

I know the Sony 'should' not sound better. Maybe I'll order the T-bone next time at Thomann.

When I finish my home setup, when I find my loop switcher, I'll give the AT50X another round, and try the cotton pads mod with those.

15. filo01

filo01 Member

I have already tried the AT50X and they are definitely brighter than my T-Bone.

16. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

Beyerdynamic headphones good!
    The DT 880 Pro is an excellent headphone - especially considering its price point. The 600ohm variant was my main headphone for mixing and music enjoyment both for several years. I upgraded to the beyer DT 1990 Pro (250ohm only) a couple years back. The DT 1990 Pro sounds like a much improved 600ohm DT 880 to my ears. They cost a good bit more though, retailing at ~$560 (may occasionally be found used for ~$400).

Note: Most of the pre-Tesla driver beyerdynamic Pro series are available in 80ohm, 250ohm, and 600ohm variants. Ideally, headphone impedance should be 8x or more than the output impedance of the headphone amplifier(s) with which one plans to pair the headphone (1:8+ ratio).

There's another beyerdynamic headphone worth a look - the 250ohm DT250. They retail for ~$200 but may be found used for around $100. This is the 'sleeper' of the current production beyer headphones. They have a neutral sound signature and they're equally adept as a studio tool and as a closed headphone for listening to music with reasonable noise Isolation. They also happen to sound great from the AxeFX II headphone out. This is my only closed headphone so I reach for it whenever Isolation is required. They are always connected to my audio onterface headphone out so I often reach for them because they're already connected to an amp that's always on.

Grado headphones sound very good and, agreed, great for rock music!

This said their impedance is 32ohms - too low to expect them to perform as intended through the headphone output of, say, the AxeFX II (output impedance somewhere near 30ohms) or the Kemper Profiling Amp (output impedance of 33ohms). Personally, I don't much care for how Grado headphones sound amplified by the AxeFX II's headphone out. I am able to route the AxeFX II S/PDIF output from my audio interface to a dedicated headphone amp through which they perform as intended.

[​IMG]

I build my own Grado type headphones because there are aftermarket drivers that well outperform stock Grado drivers (I haven't had an opportunity to compare these drivers side-by-side with any of the PS series Grado's but I prefer them to any of the GS, GH, RS, or SR series drivers).

I prefer using RS2 type cups (internal cup dimensions, bore and length) made from Narra wood (aka Angsana wood), for the balanced tonality they impart through diffusion of various frequencies. I prefer their sound using Grado L-Cushions. I find Mahogany yields a midrange-forward tonality - a hair too forward for me.

The stock thick, heavy cable has no strain relief; non user serviceable rod blocks; non user serviceable headband assembly, and non user serviceable driver/cup assembly. The cups rotate freely and completely, and the heavy, hard-wired cable is poorly secured to the cups. Depending on how the headphone has been handled, and how often, the cable can loosen its attachment to the cup and move enough to eventually fatigue and break one of its copper wire leads to the driver.

I use detachable cables. I use well padded headbands. I use aluminum gimbal & rod block sets with nylon-tipped allen set screws for rod rotation tension, Allen screws between the gimbals and cups, allen set screws affixing the steel headband support to the rod blocks. I also use a tight scotch tape wrap around the driver edge to increase the diameter to an ideal size for a press fit to the cups, and use a thin film of wood glue over the tape to seal the driver and cup.

The resulting headphones cost nearly $100 less than a Grado RS2e, is built to a much higher build quality standard, and sounds better as well.

The L-Cushions are still uncomfortable. They are my preferred ear cushion for RS type cups so there's nothing to be done.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Jdstrat, AngeloFusion and Jahn like this.
  17. AngeloFusion

AngeloFusion Member

18. filo01

filo01 Member

I have done quite exhausting personal test of several headphones (TBone HD880, AKG 271, AKG 361, AKG 371, Beyer DT770 Pro 32Ohm, Beyer DT770 Pro 80Ohm, Beyer Custom One Pro Plus, Sennheiser HD 569, AudioTechnica ATH M50X, Krk 8600) and I have chosen the DT770 Pro 80Ohm. They have the most natural (guitar) sound for my ears. "Silver medal" is for DT770 Pro 32Ohm and "bronze" for AudioTechnica ATH M50X ;)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  19. Briandress

Briandress Member

wow those look incredible. How did you get into that? what does one pair cost you to make?

20. PB26

PB26 Member

Love this plugin -- makes a huge difference!