• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Had it with MESA products.

jens5

Gold Supporting Member
Been through 3 boogies. Cal. Blond, Fillmore 50 and Mark V 25. Had enough. Can't get a good sound out of any of them, esp. the Mark V 25. Either too much weight or endless tweeking. Going to go with something light and use a pedal board. Doesn't have to be tubes. Might go with a Fender Tonemaster deluxe reverb. All I'm looking for is decent live sound amp in a relatively light weight format that's set and play.

John Quinn

Been through 3 boogies. Cal. Blond, Fillmore 50 and Mark V 25. Had enough. Can't get a good sound out of any of them, esp. the Mark V 25. Either too much weight or endless tweeking. Going to go with something light and use a pedal board. Doesn't have to be tubes. Might go with a Fender Tonemaster deluxe reverb. All I'm looking for is decent live sound amp in a relatively light weight format that's set and play.

Maybe it's not the amps you been trying.

zekmoe

Gold Supporting Member
I like the California blond, not crazy about the other two but the Fillmore is probably one of their best sellers in years. Lots of online love for that amp.
Try a real recto for something different than than the three you listed.
Unless you’re looking for a old school classic boring blooze sound. Not really the choice for that.

xjojox

Tardis-dwelling wanker
I've owned a boatload of boogies and always got compliments on my sound. One local guy actually cloned my entire rig once. (And trust me, I'm not a good enough player to have transcended the gear LOL).

I think most mature players sound pretty similar no matter what they play through. They chase the sounds in their heads and end up building much the same house using different bricks. At the same time, they will also adjust their technique and approach to what's coming out of the amp.

Having said all of that, boogies can be quite unforgiving, and can be just plain wrong for certain types of music. I can play damn near anything with a Mk V but sometimes you just need a Fender, a Marshall, or a Vox.

One thing to keep in mind is that just because an amp is a channel switcher, that doesn't mean you can't use pedals.

rickt

Platinum Supporting Member
I never got along with Mesa amps either and I've had several. But, some people like Carlos Santana and Andy Timmons can get great tones out of them. I like simpler amps with a volume and a tone knob.

There are literally hundreds of amps out there nowadays to suit a certain style.. The best time for guitar tones is right now! I hope you find what you're looking for..

Everything is based on Fender, Marshall, Vox.. I'd start there..

ucnick

Silver Supporting Member
I had a Lonestar 2X12, Lonestar Special 1X12, a Heartbreaker 2X12, Royal Atlantic 2X12, all gone, I now have a Fillmore 50 head, about 26 lbs, I pair it with a DV Mark neoclassic 1X12 cab at 18 lbs, a fairly light tube rig. The FM 50 probably has the least number of controls of any Mesa I have had. It was not too bad to tweak in. I tweaked some good gig tones with it. It will be sticking around for a while.

If you want tube amp with simpler controls and lightweight and don't mind head + cab format try a Marshall Origin 50, 26 lbs, great with pedals, cannot wait to gig mine.

A lightweight loud great sounding SS amp combo is a Quilter Micrpro Mach 2 12 HD, 100W (200 with extension cab), fairly small, weighs about 21 lbs, loud as heck, great clean and mildly distorted tones, loves pedals. I love mine, my grab 'n go amp for rehearsals etc.

Good luck!:rockin

Last edited:

Ryno1331

I've owned a boatload of boogies and always got compliments on my sound. One local guy actually cloned my entire rig once. (And trust me, I'm not a good enough player to have transcended the gear LOL).

I think most mature players sound pretty similar no matter what they play through. They chase the sounds in their heads and end up building much the same house using different bricks. At the same time, they will also adjust their technique and approach to what's coming out of the amp.

Having said all of that, boogies can be quite unforgiving, and can be just plain wrong for certain types of music. I can play damn near anything with a Mk V but sometimes you just need a Fender, a Marshall, or a Vox.

One thing to keep in mind is that just because an amp is a channel switcher, that doesn't mean you can't use pedals.
This right here.
And it took me months to really figure out and bond with my Mark V25. It can be overwhelming at first. I'm glad I didn't give up and sell it.

Formerly posted as MkIIC+
Silver Supporting Member
The Fillmore is a piece of cake to dial in and to get great tones from clean to mean.

I don’t know what the OP is looking for sound wise but the Fillmore covers a very broad range of classic sounds.

jlb32

My Mesa Trem-o-verb and Mesa Mark IV sound amazing. They do have a learning curve though to know how the controls react to each other. Once you know that they are very easy to use and get killer tones IMO. Love them.

Have you tried a Electra Dyne? They are pretty simple amps with few controls that sound really great IMO.

Trending Topics