Had my amp on "Zero" and told to turn down

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by xcycle, Dec 26, 2009.

1. xcycle

xcycle Member

Yes its true! But let me say that there was still some sound coming out I guess because of the amount of gain my pedal board was pushing my JTM45 clone with. Not loud at all mind you but I didn't realize my amp would do this. Talk about a thin, buzzy sound, yuk.

I guess the soundguy should have asked me to turn down my pedals.

Thank God I have an Aracom on the way, this is getting ridiculus.

Cheers
    Eric

2. guzman

guzman Member

I guess no soundman has ever play guitar.

3. dets1

dets1 Member

i played a fill in country gig one time, and they had us turn down to the point i could hear my pick going across the strings.

4. JWK

JWK Member

This reminds me of when I asked to join the high school jazz band. They didn't have a guitar. Director wasn't thrilled, but said OK. I studied chord charts so I could function. Went to my first rehearsal. Director says turn down. Turn down again. Turn down. Next rehearsal starts out with turn down. Turn down again. Halfway through rehearsal a little light bulb went off in my head. I reached over and turned the amp down all the way. Posed all the way through the next half hour. At the end I asked the director how my volume was, how I sounded. Big smile. That's good, sounds great. I didn't go back.

The band never did get a guitar until he retired.

5. Full Monty

Full Monty Member

Played a gig in a local social club and before we even started one of the old ladies sitting near the front had her fingers in her ears!! I made a joke out of it (she laughed along with everyone else) but it is quite bizarre how some people think live music should be no louder than a portable transistor radio.

Having worked as a sound engineer I've decided that too many of them are just not interested in music and want to get paid for doing as little as possible. It doesn't take much effort to engage with the band and then enhance their sound enough to make a good band seem very good. Of course there are a$$holes in bands who think their function is to hack off the sound engineer (guitarists and drummers usually, the former for turning up their volume after the soundcheck and the latter for wanting more in their monitors than any sane person can give them) but that's no excuse for the disinterested tone too many 'sound engineers' carry around with them. Okay, rant over.:drink

6. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I have had occasion several times, when "negotiating" with the house sound guy, turned my guitar's vol knob ALL THE WAY OFF, no sound at all coming from the amp even though I was going through the motions of actually playing, and STILL been told I had to turn down, that the guitar's volume was driving the band to "unlistenable" volume levels.

What I've noticed is, it's pretty hard to please everybody all the time, Dana O.

7. Twangmaster

Twangmaster Member

had that problem at a couple of clubs with 'house' sound systems and engineers, in particular one certain club. Last time, with a packed house on a Saturday night, both the myself and the bassist were told after every song for the first 3 songs to 'turn down'.. After the 4th time, we looked at each other, turned around, and just shut 'em down, everything, and started to pack up. Owner immediately comes running up, asking WTF? I tell him it's either us or his 'sound guy'. he asks if we had a sound guy we trusted, and of course, we did. The 'house' sound guy was soon back to his primary job.... pouring beer.

8. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I was hoping you were going to say you had a "1" in front of that "0"...crap. :(

:D

9. Robertito

Robertito Member

Yeah, I had a house gig for a while at a club where the owner kept yelling at me to turn down (I think maybe the bass player was too loud). After turning down more and more during the first set of the first night, I turned my amp off and unplugged, then played the rest of the six-week run on my 335 without an amp. The owner hated me - he kept complaining about the guitar volume through the whole run, and wouldn't hire us back.

10. dantedayjob

dantedayjob Member

I had a sound guy tell me to turn down a couple times, when I could no longer hear the guitar and he said it again, I got PISSED... I went up to the mic and said (this may not be verbatim, it was years ago and memory clouds) "Look Jack, I can't hear myself on stage... either get some guitar in the monitors or I will do it my damn self... DO YOUR JOB! DO YOU PLAY GUITAR? YOU WANT TO BE UP HERE? I'M DOING MY JOB, YOU DO YOURS!"

This was at a working class bar in a Detroit suburb, while sound guy was pretty mad, the bar patrons thought it was funny as hell. Several laughed and/or cheered when I called the guy out. I had no more volume issues for the remainder.

I learned that day NOT to take $#!+ from anyone at a gig. A little over a year later, I had to physically threaten a club manager for non-payment... he threatened to call the police, I told him "You do it, this is Muscle Shoals Alabama, the cops will come down here and say 'Got your ass kicked son? Well.. you shoulda paid 'em'. I was on the phone to the club owner when he was back in town, never had to deal with that $#!+ for brains manager again.

In short, don't take crap from these people, stand up to them, if they DON'T get right, and all else fails, call them out IN FRONT of people. They will either get right, OR look like a$$holes.

11. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

I've been through the "turn down now!" thing too, even with my amp at "1". I was playing a variety show at a hall back home with a band comprised of my drummer and his brothers. His two brothers didn't pick up their instruments regularly and it showed. I get up there, set up my stuff, start playing and one of those throws a fit at me. My amp was barely audible to start. I told him in certain terms that if he did this one more time, I was packing my **** and going home... and this was the day before the show. He shut up quickly after that. I wasn't getting paid for the gig, so it wouldn't have been a big loss. Plus, they sucked anyway....

12. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

Things that are acceptable really loud:
    * Marching bands, monster truck shows, jet engines, etc

Things that are not acceptable loud;
    * rock bands in most bars (exceptions are original music venues where if people are there, they are there to see you)

There's not a lot of clubs/bars that I will play anymore unless the people are there to see a show. The problem is most of these places don't pay very well...ticket sales determine how much you are going to make.

13. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

14. JoeP

JoeP Member

Went into a place, did soundcheck, got the ''turn down'' NOW Gdammit routine. So, we turned down to the point of being off. Sound punk was just being a d**k..

Got to the show that night, the club was packed to the walls.. Played half a song, and they were telling us to turn up. We ended the song, i got on the mike and told everyone we couldn't because of the sound nazi and the club owner. Everyone started nearly a riot. I told them, "How would you like to see us burn rubber out their damn parking lot", and got a ton of reply.

Long story short, Played one song, didnt' get paid, but in 15 minutes, the club owner and sound nazi was the only two left in the club, and ran off a ton of business (about 300 people)..

After that, they called us and called us, and i've never been back, but i've consistantly played the club across the street, filling it up, and never stepping foot back in the one that started it all. Our fans and patrons boycott the place now, and its to the point where they not only have consistantly ran off all the good bands, but all of the good customers..

So, sound guys.. Do your thing.. Just make sure in the long run, you don't quit your day job...

15. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Back when I was relatively well behaved... Playing a show, a club owner told me to turn down- so I did. He came back a little later and told me to turn down- there wasn't much of anything there so I turned the volume all the way down and Milli Vanilli'd it. Club owner came back and told me to turn down- I told him I couldn't, he got mad, and I started swiping at my guitar showing him it was making absolutely no noise through the amp at all...

16. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

I fixed the problem. I am the soundman. I never tell me to turn down. On the other hand, the bass player and drummer ....

17. Julia343

Julia343 Member

Hand them ear plugs.

18. xcycle

xcycle Member

Hahahahah!! I "WILL" say that when the Aracom gets here. :phones Been a long time since I played any amp on 10.

Cheers
    Eric

19. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

That's a shame Joe