Had never heard of Gibson Victory, until now...

dazco

I remember when those first came out. I was lusting after one but never got one. Now i have no desire, as i know what i like in a guitar much better today and thats not it.

John C

Gold Supporting Member
Gibson's first attempt in the early 80s to ride the superstrat wave. I messed around with the MVX model (the HSH version; this one is a modded HH version) a bit in a store back in the day. The neck seemed narrower than the typical 1982-83 Gibson neck. This place was also a Hamer dealer; it reminded me more of playing a Hamer than a Gibson. But I remember liking the Hamers more than the Victory.

John C

Gold Supporting Member
Fender envy. Stetsbar bridge.
Owner mod; Stetsbars weren't around back then. But you could get them with that Gibson-logoed Kahler trem (Gibson also used the original thinner string lock with 5 locking mechanisms instead of the more usual 3 mechanisms).

Torren61

Owner mod; Stetsbars weren't around back then. But you could get them with that Gibson-logoed Kahler trem (Gibson also used the original thinner string lock with 5 locking mechanisms instead of the more usual 3 mechanisms).
Ffs, lol, I know Eric Stets and I know that's a mod.

Millo 3.1

I think the body styling and the added bridge look great. The headstock kills the great look, though. After that I looked at other versions that definitely looked worse.

However, if it doesn't have good playability...I know why I've never heard of them.

IPLAYLOUD

Gold Supporting Member
My brother-in-law bought a Victory Bass in 1982 (or so).
BIG neck. They did Basses in Candy Red and Silver...which was easy as they sprayed them all Silver and then Red over whichever were to be Candy.
The only guy I have seen use a Bass was with Nugent.

A friend now has a Victory guitar. It's very nice. It was in that WRC family of super Strats. Guitars came in many colors. Bahama Blue is very striking.

I LOVE the headstock - almost reminds me of a non-reverse Firebird, or the batwing on my Epiphone Wilshire. Not sure how I feel about the pickups, though, and I can't stand Stetsbar (used to have one, tried it on three guitars, and now it's gone).

Ilduce

And now for something completely different!
If I had money to burn I could see rocking that! I think it's pretty cool and unique.

Heres the kind of Yamaha Link Wray used a lot, definitely some inspiration for design taken from it...maybe? Wiki says it was Gibsons entry for super strats, I think it looks real funky 60s like those wacky Italian guitars of that era and would look out of place on some dude in spandex with teased hair.

Last edited:

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Gibson did a lot of funky stuff in the 70s and 80s trying to regain their mojo from the Japanese. I guess it never occurred to them that the problem was the quality of wood/guitars/finishes... Anyway there was this, there was the MIII and a few other things that died pretty quickly. They can be kinda cool in the same way that a Starcaster might be, but a hard sale none-the-less...

Rumble

Instrumental Rocker
Gold Supporting Member

Heres the kind of Yamaha Link Wray used a lot, definitely some inspiration for design taken from it...maybe? Wiki says it was Gibsons entry for super strats, I think it looks real funky 60s like those wacky Italian guitars of that era and would look out of place on some dude in spandex with teased hair.
This might be a little closer to the Yamaha Link used, my 1966 SG-2 in Coral Red. Possibly built the same day as his (according to the serial numbers).

Trending Topics