Had someone offer a Matchless SC30 for my Z-Wreck.... Input/opinions please?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tele_jas, May 8, 2016.

1. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

So, someone offered me a 1993/94 matchless SC-30 1x12 combo for my Z-Wreck 1x12 combo. one owner, has never been serviced, but has had the tubes changed regularly. Which has me a little concerned with it being 22-23 years old.

I'd like to hear some opinions on if this is a good trade for me to consider? Should I be concerned with the age of the Matchless?

Thanks in advance!

2. Stormin

Stormin Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jason - those are 2 very different amps. I don't think a C30 (at least not the one I owned) will ever give up the goods like the Wreck will. The Matchless is all about "edge of breakup".

pbmw and hacinador like this.
  3. FFTT

FFTT Member

I vote for a wet dry rig with both :)

ce24fan, pbmw and s360guitarist like this.
  4. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I have not played either amp, but based on the builders of the two amps at hand here, I would not fear the service/age of either...

Slevin and Dave Orban like this.
  5. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

What Stormin' said - very different Amps. Your Z-Wreck can
    get to Matchless zones but not the other way around.

And What s360guitarist said: Matchless amps are
    solid builds. Most likely it's never been serviced
    due to the amp not needing service.

Dave Orban likes this.
  6. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

That's where I live... My pedals do the rest.

7. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

Don't worry about the age of the Matchless. Those amps are incredibly well made.

The SC30 will definitely be different than the Z-Wreck. I've owned a C30 and loved it. But I've also spent time with a ZWreck on a few occasions. And that is one fine amp!!! I know this doesn't help you, but both of those amps desert island amps IMO.

8. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

I started a 2nd thread about this... But a few years ago, I traded a Dr. Z Stangray for a Bad Cat Black Cat 30 2x12 combo. I ended up trading the Black Cat off just 3 days later because I didn't like it and regretting letting my Stangray go.

Aren't the Black Cats and SC-30 (DC-30) amps basically the same?

9. ce24fan

ce24fan Member

Yeah, i don't know what to say here. Both those amps are amazing but have their own thing going. At the end of the day, go with whatever sound works for you. This is a cunundrum as it gets IMHO..........................

10. Stormin

Stormin Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

They're pretty darned close. Some "slight" voicing tweaks.

11. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

Matchless (and especially the C-30 series) has a legendary pedigree- you need not be concerned about age or condition.

I admit I'm a bit of a C-30 fanboy; it has pretty much ended my search for amps. IMHO, it's an amp that almost everyone should take a chance with (like a JTM-45, or a tweed, or a BF Fender, or a Marshall) at least once. Never played one until I bought one and I'll probably never get rid of the one I bought.

I think the economics are in the ballpark although its going to be tough to get a lot of data on a used Z-Wreck. The Matchless is probably worth in the low to mid $2's- don't know what a used Z wreck is worth.

If the economics are close, I'd probably make the trade. I think you could always unwind it (although that might take some time).

12. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

I bet the Matchless is a lot heavier to carry around. I have tried both and I find the Z to be more versatile.

13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

It depends on what you're doing:

Z-Wreck-designed to be a "plug guitar in directly and use the volume knob for the amount of distortion". Basically loves to be played loud and proud. "Hard" power supply but that's mitigated a bit by the rest of the circuit being balanced to give up the goods at the same time. Master volumes don't work well with this kind of amp.

C30-works as a plug and go amp as well, but the harder power supply and preamp design doesn't balance as well, so it's not quite as satisfying as a guitar/volume amp. It's probably louder on full chat as well, definitely more than 30w! Takes pedals like a champ, and more flexible due to the two input channels, although the EQ takes some getting used to. The master volume works really well (post-PI) and it takes pedals like a champ.

Given the historical significance of the amp (94 was still Mark building them in his garage IIRC-hand tuning each one), and given the retention of value by Matchless vs Dr. Z, I'd make that trade in a heartbeat!

14. csweldon

csweldon Member

Would the trade be local? I know the consensus is that the Matchless is in a similar sonic territory of the Badcat you regretted trading for earlier. As such, I personally would try to play through one before trading an amp that is "too much of a good thing" for one you may not like.

15. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

There is definitely a feel thing that is different between those amps. This is a tough call. Someone could own both amps and be happy, since they don't exactly cover the same ground. Both are great.

Edit:
    OP, I just read your post about the Black Cat. The SC30 is going to be pretty close to that amp. The SC30/Black Cat have very interactive EQ controls that take some time to really get a handle on. Once I got a handle on how they worked, I really dig those amps.

That said, if you're happy with the Z-Wreck than I say to stick with it. The SC30 will be a different feel and tone. And you'll probably need to invest some time in working with how the controls interact on the SC30. Only you can decide if the change is worth it. The SC30 is very rewarding if that tone is what you're after.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
    Corinthian likes this.
  16. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

It's semi-local..... He lives 150 miles away and would meet me in the middle. So I woulnd't really get to play it first. The more and more I think about it, with them being so similar, I probably better think really hard about it!

17. nater9

nater9 Member

Keep the Wreck!!!! I've played neither, so don't take any of my advice.... ;)

Otter359, Matt117 and Stev0Griffin like this.
  18. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

PERFECT TGP reply! :)

nater9 and Stev0Griffin like this.
  19. Stev0Griffin

Stev0Griffin Trendsetter

I think the answer to this question involves your goals.

What is about the Z Wreck that you don't like / makes you want to trade in the first place?

I know Dr Z stuff isn't cheap, but Matchless retains its value probably better than any other amp I've ever known of.

That being said, if you didn't care for the Black Cat, you probably will not care for the SC30.

Again though, the most important thing to question is why you want to give up on the Z in the first place.

20. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Well........I actually made the decision that, since the shows I've been playing the past 2 years have dropped off and gotten smaller - I didn't need a Z-Wreck for those gigs I'm playing now. Just too much of a too nice of an amp to not be used a lot. So my original idea was to list it as "trade" for a different/less expensive amp, plus $1000-$1500. Something like a Maz Jr, Hayseed 30 or Morgan AC20 (or similar). But my first offer was for a straight across trade for the SC-30.

So it's not that the Z-Wreck is missing anything, it's just got "too much" I'm not using. I really liked my Maz Jr a few years ago and think that would be more than enough for what I do, and not sacrifice too much (if any) on my tone.

Stev0Griffin likes this.