Hadaway mod for Peavey?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by doc, Jun 26, 2006.

1. doc

doc Member

I'm curious if anyone has info about this mod for a Peavey Transtube Bandit that apparently changed out the circuit board and turned it into a tone monster. Anybody have a clue as to what type changes were made? I've never heard or seen one, just curious about some hype on the Net. Apparently this guy now is lost in Canada somewhere.

2. Wayne8

Wayne8 Member

Yeah, I've heard of it but don't know any details. I'd also be interested if you find out.

3. doc

doc Member

Failing specific info on the Hadaway mod, does anyone know of any info on the net about tweaking the components in a solid state amp to change the tonal characteristics? There are a number of resources for how to adjust your tube amp to taste, but nothing I've seen specifically for transistor amps.

4. doc

doc Member

Thought I'd bump this one time just for grins. Still curious.

5. socalscott

socalscott Member

I'm really hoping someone responds.

Better still, if a user of this mod would have someone dig into it for us...hehe

I actually sent a message to a Steve Hadaway on Facebook. We'll see.

6. burner

burner Member

I'm really interested in this as well.
    At one time I tried running two first generation Transtube Bandits in stereo for a couple of gigs and I was really blown away at how great they sounded.

7. SarasotaSlim

SarasotaSlim Member

If you get one with a Shefield speaker they sound great right out of the box - no mods needed.

8. doc

doc Member

Never found out any info on the Hadaway, but thought some who responded to this thread might find this interesting. I finally ripped into my old Backstage 50 (pre Transtube) and did several mods. I upgraded most of the op-amps, replaced several electrolytics with tantalum, and modded the diodes in the saturation circuit.

My impressions on playing it are mixed, but generally favorable. In my opinion the clean tone is improved, but not by a huge margin. Its definitely smoother and almost has a tubelike thickness to it. It still has a very recognizable Peavey sonic signature - the basic character hasn't changed much, its just an improved Peavey sound. It now makes a very good jazz amp clean.

I didn't mod the sat circuit very extensively, and I'm less impressed with that mod. It definitely sounds better to my ear, but not as big an improvement as the clean sound. If I get some time and catch up on other projects, I may try more extensive mods - maybe put an LED on the other side of the clipper circuit.

Overall cost was low - about $15 in parts (of course my labor is expensive!).

At this point I'm thinking I might find a small Transtube Peavey sometime to mod in similar fashion - I suspect that Hadaway did some of the same things I did (but have no evidence to back that up, just the fact that great minds think alike!). If he was replacing the whole board, he of course could have redone the whole circuit, but I think it more likely he just got Peavey boards or copied them and then repopulated them with components to tweak the sound. If the Transtubes have a separate preamp board this would have made even more sense.

If anybody comes across one of these Hadaway mods, please send me some gut shots and or clips.

9. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Amazing. I've never heard of this before but it sounds really interesting. I googled up some reviews on Harmony Central, sounds cool!

socalscott, ever get a response from him?

10. doc

doc Member

Can anybody post a gut shot of a stock Peavey Transtube?

11. doc

doc Member

Another update.
    I went back in and changed one more cap to a tantalum. I also replaced one of the silicon diodes with a red LED. At this point I really like the clean sound for jazz. Its really nice and thick. The distortion is more significantly changed, and I think somewhat improved, but still hasn't lost that hard "solid state" thang. The distortion channel still doesn't hold a candle to my tube amps, but the clean channel can give my Ampeg some competition for jazz.
    I'm thinking if I come into some money I may buy a used Transtube to mod in the future. I'm thinking the early USA Transtube models may be a real sleeper amp if tuned up.