• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Haggling at GC for a used guitar?

crambone

I also posted this in The Pub but someone there suggested I try this sub-forum, too. I've haggled twice at GC, both times with success on my end but both were with brand-new items (Taylor 314ce and Fender HRD).

That being said, I've never tried to haggle on a used item. Are they keen to move on the price? I am looking at a higher-end guitar (their price is $1899.00 used, I'd like to get it down to $1700.00 [or lower if possible] out of the door).

I am sure the time it has sat in their inventory plays a role, as does who I speak with. But, for those of you with success (or failure) stories, care to share how things panned-out?

Thanks in advance.

EdFarmer

It's going to depend on what they have into the guitar. If it was a trade, they may be willing to take a little less than the trade value they supplied because they already made money on the sale. If they bought it outright it's going to depend on what they paid.

They didn't get to be Guitar Center by losing money . . .

But, one of the questions that I ask all of the time, in all sorts of places: "Is that the best that you can do?"

crambone

Have $1700 cash in hand and tell them that's what you'll pay out the door.

If they turn you down, thank them for time and give them your phone number to call you if they reconsider your offer.
This is pretty much where I am going to end-up with it. I told myself that $1700.00 is my limit and if I don't get it I will walk. I don't "need" the guitar but it's just a solid deal and worth a bit of time on my end. I already had my wife pull out $1700.00 from savings today and as soon as I get off of work I am driving over to Tampa to check it out.

Side note: I've never been to the GC in Tampa. The last time I was there it was a Mars Music, lol. I bought my first 3 guitars from there, as well as a Boss DS-1 which was my first pedal.

Rayzaa

Keep an eye on the guitar you want, if it stays in inventory for 90 days they will negotiate. If it stays for longer you can get a crazy good deal, I picked a used Schecter Custom Shop PT in mint condition at a bargain basement price.
I saw a Musicman Albert Lee guitar at GC for 6 months....or even longer, could of been a year and it still had the same price on it.

river_jetties

Recently tried haggling on a used Les Paul Studio. It had only been there a few weeks and they were pretty firm in pricing so I just bought online. The shipping was very reasonable ($20 cross country).

crambone

Recently tried haggling on a used Les Paul Studio. It had only been there a few weeks and they were pretty firm in pricing so I just bought online. The shipping was very reasonable ($20 cross country).
If you buy online, can't they ship for free to a store nearby to you for free? In other words, you just go & pick it up?

I also posted this in The Pub but someone there suggested I try this sub-forum, too. I've haggled twice at GC, both times with success on my end but both were with brand-new items (Taylor 314ce and Fender HRD).

That being said, I've never tried to haggle on a used item. Are they keen to move on the price? I am looking at a higher-end guitar (their price is $1899.00 used, I'd like to get it down to $1700.00 [or lower if possible] out of the door).

I am sure the time it has sat in their inventory plays a role, as does who I speak with. But, for those of you with success (or failure) stories, care to share how things panned-out?

Thanks in advance.
Generally they claim corporate policy and won't haggle on used gear unless it's been hanging on the wall for some time (typically 2 months+), but there are exceptions depending on the store/individual.

If you buy online, can't they ship for free to a store nearby to you for free? In other words, you just go & pick it up?
Nope, there's no reason why they should eat the cost of shipping when it's you looking at an item that isn't where you're at :). GC/Musiciansfriend will often ship a new item for free if you buy it online (depending on the cost, I think) but you always pay shipping fees for used gear unless you catch a promotion that they sometimes have where shipping is free on everything. Good time to buy an amp or some other heavy ass gear!

If you've got your eye on something, put a link to it in a folder on your computer, perhaps the desktop.
Call & see if they'd drop the price. You can usually get 10% off after it's been there 90 days.

If it's not been there 90 days, ask how long it's been there.
Now edit the link on your desktop to reflect the date that it will have been there 90 days.

Don't forget to ask them to throw in some new strings when you call back to buy it.

I think GC will purchase gear for 50 to 60 percent of what they think they can sell it for.
60% if it's fair to good condition, 65% if it's in excellent condition
If it's in good shape with a case or gig-bag, they'll usually call it Excellent.

or you can sell the case at Sam Ash for $20

Trending Topics