Hagstrom Viking baritone

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by celticelk, Jan 23, 2012.

1. celticelk

celticelk Member

2. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan Member

I strummed it a few times. The Vikings have interested me for some time now. Fit and finish was top notch. My only knock was that it was heavy.

3. celticelk

celticelk Member

Thanks! How heavy is "heavy" for you? And was it a well-balanced heavy, or did you get some neck dive?

4. magilla

magilla Chasing those soulful sounds. Silver Supporting Member

That's definitely interesting. Vikings have always been cool axes.

5. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan Member

Not sure how to describe how heavy, but considering it is a semi-hollow it had a bit of weight to it. I picked up a lot of semi-hollows while at NAMM, because I need to add one to my collection, and this one and the Washburn were the heaviest. The Guild Starfire was what a semi-hollow should feel like - light and resonant.

Did not try it with a strap, so I can't comment on neck dive. They're really nice guitars though. I have always considered buying one.

6. Cosmogang

Cosmogang Member

I would love this guitar. My current guitar (ASAT Special) weighs as much as a LP, so I'm not concerned about the weight. I think it looks so sexy.

7. Davo17

Davo17 Member

Bari's are always heavier. I bet it sounds awesome.

8. Halowords

Halowords Member

A bit of a bump. For anybody who's tried one, how does the Viking Baritone handle overdrive/gain? I would not be getting one solely for a heavy metal guitar, however I would like something that can do clean-tone through stuff like The Cure and onto say ISIS or experimental stuff in that vein (at least playing with moderate-to-high gain sometimes).

Also, the Cosmic Black looks cool online. I know looks are superficial, however everything else being equal, which finishes look or seem to be holding up the nicest?

-Cheers

9. John Morciglio

John Morciglio Member

Played a used one at a GC store.
    Was checking out the Mesa TA15/30's and comparing them to the Mini-rectifier.
    Ended up taking home the Tubemeister 18, (for economic reasons :)

Have tried the Fender VI, Schecter Ultra VI along with a Tele baritone and Special baritone.

The Hagstrom was by far my favorite sounding and playing.
    Might have been the amps? The others were played thru a 59' re-issue Bassmen.

Also a big black hollowbody lover.

The only one I might like more, (based on you-tube demo's), is the Gretsch,(Spelling?)

Fit finish and set-up were all excellent. This guitar was used so might have had a better set-up.

If I were buying, it would be between the Hagstrom, and MAYBEE that new Hellraiser C1 VI. Would also want to play the Gretsch.

JM

10. Halowords

Halowords Member

Two semi-related questions:

1) How much gain/overdrive or high-volume can the Hagstrom Viking Baritone handle before it starts to squeal or feedback? I'm not a predominantly high-gain player, and for the foreseeable future I'm playing in my basement, just trying to figure out its limits in that regard.

2) How much gain/overdrive can it take and still be articulate? I'd imagine too much and it would all easily turn to mush. Which is fine, just trying to figure out how most play this since if/when I get one I may have to take a chance and buy one online.

That said, this has really gotten me intrigued.

-Cheers

11. Halowords

Halowords Member

Thanks John. This might be one of this instances where you have to buy both, eh? :beer

I like the idea of the Hagstrom in this case to replace (or complement) my current semi-hollow. I love the idea of a deep/rich semi-hollow and think I'd really appreciate the lower notes I'd gain more than the upper notes I'd lose, if that makes sense.

The Hellraiser C1 VI is appealing to me as well. However, I do not have any guitars with active pickups. That could be a plus or a negative, depending how you look at it. I'm not anti-actives, and I wonder if the more "neutral" and brighter active character might help somehow with this baritone, especially if you add any gain/effects to it. That's entirely a guess though. I could see it being pretty diverse though, going from a hi-fi sort of version of The Cure's sound to down-tuned metal. I've kind of wanted to play with actives for a while just to see what could be done with them.

It's something to think about. I'm planning on moving some guitars that I do not play as much any more (two kids will do that to you) and I need some space, however I should be left with some cash and a spot or two to try one (or maybe both). If anybody happens to see that and owns or has played around with both, realizing the obvious differences I'd be interested in your thoughts comparing the two.

-Cheers

12. John Morciglio

John Morciglio Member

Just found some OEM type pickups for my VI build.
    They are the same ( or slightly HOTTER in the bridge) than the Hagstrom's.

Liked the tones I got from the Hagstrom best. Fender bass VI would be a close second. (to be fair, did not play it through equal amps).

The Gretsch's on You-tube sound good to me. Who knows what effect the lack of decent audio and/or effects have?

TRYING to get TV Jones for OEM use. Want to try them in my VB-650 build.(EB-650 clone).

I use EMG active pups in MOST of my basses. They might not be for everybody? Very "articulate" is how I describe them. Brings out the best in neck-thru and set-neck builds IMO.

The Hellraiser will be avail. May 5th. at GC. $799.00 less 100.00 or so coupon is tempting.
    That would be easier and faster than building another one.

I REALLY like my Starcaster inspired VI, so having matching builds is just cool!
    Have matching sets of guitar/bass with most of my stuff.

In response to speakers; might have been the baritone thread?
    Use high-end bass/PA speakers in all my bass cabs. Guitars sound very GOOD through them.
    [​IMG]

Double image being pasted???
    JM

13. John Morciglio

John Morciglio Member

My next carbon builds/molds are supposed to be a matching bass for guitar above.

The mock-up (with wood body) balances well with a 34" scale. A carbon body will be MUCH lighter and I'm afraid it may have neck-dive? Necks have structure. They are NOT hollow carbon. Hollow necks sound week and thin, IME.

VERY tempting to build a full carbon baritone next! Can run tone-post or blocks under the bridge, in the carbon builds(for more sustain/less feedback) or full hollow.

I have 5 kids so, 'know what you're saying!

Getting ready to ship 1 guitar to my daughter in Germany.
    12 year old son is playing bass, trumpet and drums.
    He likes my 80's guitars best :)

JM

14. Halowords

Halowords Member

That's got me thinking about maybe getting a bass cab and running a dual-cab setup. I've got a Marshall VM and a KBP ODS (basically a two-channel D*mble-clone), with a 4x12 setup and a 15" guitar speaker that has no home yet but that I'm eventually going to play the KBP through. I'm wondering if I could/should try something else in lieu of the 4x12 (which is way too big for my use anyway). Just thinking aloud.

Anyway, you've only got one image is showing up so no doubles.

Sounds like you've got a nice setup. I'm sure your daughter will appreciate the guitar. I like your 12-year-old's style. ;) I like the gambit, and I'm gravitating more toward more classic style guitars, however I've wanted a Hamer 80's style shredder for a while (an old-school Californian or Chaparral would be nice), just for fun.

Anyway, thanks a million for the responses! It's greatly appreciated.

-Cheers

15. John Morciglio

John Morciglio Member

At basement/bedroom levels. Feedback is not an issue.
    Have 180 Cybertwin and I can crank it to 5-6 and play all around the room.
    If I stand directly in front of it. Of course it will scream. Can be controlled with a palm mute.

Playing mostly full hollow archtops and semi-hollows.

NUGENT + BYRDLAND + 3 TWINS = sweet CLASSIC rock TONE!!!

JM

16. Ransome

Ransome Supporting Member

What are those octagon cabs?