Hahn NGD

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by ib2010, Feb 20, 2012.

1. ib2010

ib2010 Supporting Member

I picked this up a couple of weeks back, got a set up, and thought i'd report in with my "impressions". First off, i'm not a "tele" guy , as i've had trouble in the past bonding with the bridge pickup tones/ mid position tones of "several" teles and tele types. Some very nice ones actually. ( i still have a tom anderson maple cap with 5way "stacked" pups thats very, very nice, in a more modern way) That said, i was immediately STRUCK at the richness of tone in any position. I've never heard such fullness in the bridge position, it's gotta be the wood speaking. And yes, it still has SERIOUS spank at the same time.WONDERFUL dynamics with my "finger" style approach.------ So i get it now, the super simple "great grandfather" of electric guitar has come home to roost. Also , the feel is "highly integrated", not a body and a neck, just one smooth playing field. ( this one is a 1 piece, lollar 52 pups, hahn stainless bridge) Highly recommended !!!!!![​IMG][​IMG]

2. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

Congrats, that's a Beaut!

3. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Beautiful - Chihoe ROCKS!

Congrats, Dana O.

4. rushcentrale

rushcentrale Member

really nice congrats! hahns are awesome guitars

5. simplecomplexity

simplecomplexity Senior Member

6. jabba

jabba Member

Ya that's a beautiful guitar. I'd like to hear more about the Lollar 52's. I have a Ron Kirn tele with a 1-piece ash body that I've been thinking about putting the 52's into.....I'm guessing the 52's are really twangy without being too shrill or ice picky?

7. ib2010

ib2010 Supporting Member

I'm certainly not that knowledgeable about direct comparisons of different types of tele pups. i've never swapped out pups in any of my former teles. Had a standard tele, a mex, a melancon, an anderson and a brent mason valley arts. In most every case , i found the bridge by itself to be "not comfortable",for me, and yes , a bit ice picky. Also , i felt something was missing with both pups running.(maybe missing some "charater", to me)-----------------The lollars are low output (from what i understand) and may be more susseptable to the wood/finish elements entering into the mix. On the Hahn, first impressions are "very throaty, rich,more wide range content". this shows out on the bridge in particular. the twang is THERE, but no coarseness, and a bunch of tite fullness along for the ride. it's like your're hearing the guitar, more than hearing the pickup. --- just my impressions, fwiw.------ lollar is kinda known for letting the wood tone do the speaking, and i think thats whats working out so well here.--- i don't view these pups as "more twangy" ,even with their lower output, oddly, i view them as more "full range"

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  8. Groberts

Groberts Silver Supporting Member

They just don't get better than Hahn 228's! Stunning guitar. Love the grain too. Congrats!

9. telesquire

telesquire Member

A stunner. Congrats.

10. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

11. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

I played a used one at a local shop shop a couple of weeks back - freakin' great guitar! With a huge V shape neck that felt really comfortable (why don't I have a V neck in the collection?) super light and resonant and rang like a bell.

12. simplecomplexity

simplecomplexity Senior Member

congrats! these Hahns are really good.. they don't come by too often.. so treasure it!

13. Butterscotch

Butterscotch Member

Another masterpiece by Chihoe! :)

14. ford

ford Supporting Member

If I could afford any new tele... it would be one of his...

awesome.

15. pcbb

pcbb Member