Hail the mighty EBow!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by snarkle, Oct 8, 2010.

1. snarkle

snarkle Member

Just played the first two shows with my new project, and have something mildly amusing to report. Our stage set-up is a vintage/boutique gear-fan's delight: I'm playing a 1920s Kona Hawaiian, a 1994 National Tricone, and a Flaxwood CC Custom into a 1962 Fender Deluxe; the other string-player's using a Santa Cruz 12-fret dreadnought, a 1920s Martin 0-17, and an 1890s SS Stewart banjo. Yet after each gig, all anyone wants to ask us about is the EBow that I use on the Tricone. (A wonderfully spooky sound, by the way.)

It seems odd that more people, especially guitarists, haven't heard one in action. Anyone else notice this?

2. Overdriver18

Overdriver18 Member

I don't know. I assumed that everyone who listens to Radiohead knew about them. I don't like the Ebow for my personal use, but other people make 'em sound cool.

3. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

I love my EBow. I've built entire compositions around it.

4. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

They've heard it, they just haven't seen it. Definitely a conversation piece!

5. Dica3

Dica3 Member

I dig the ebow when utilized well, we actually just cut a track using one for a melodic line doubling a backing vocal and it did that job wonderfully

6. Muse FTW

Muse FTW Senior Member

I definitely want to try one out...

7. mlt1214

mlt1214 Member

It definitely is a head-turning accessory. I love mine. I use it with a really long delay + tons of modulated reverb for an awesome droning pad.

8. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

i always get people asking me about the ebow and my lead player. its pretty freakin' hilarious, esp when they've been in the music industry recording/playing big venues for 30 years and they're wondering what that little blue light is.....

9. snarkle

snarkle Member

Nice to see so many EBow fans here. I actually have three...an original chrome model that at this point I've been using for 30 years (yikes!) and two black-with-red-light examples from the 1990s.

Sometimes I'll set all three of them up on a table steel and just mess with drones, filtering, and delay...great fun!

10. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I have one, but I haven't used it for a loooooooong time! I guess I better get it out this weekend.

11. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

mine, too, are still in constant use,
    but primarily for recording.....
    Hail the Mighty Ebow!

i wish i hadn't lost my last (red script) one, though.....
    i have 2 (later) replacements: yellow, and white.

dt / spltrcl

12. snarkle

snarkle Member

I've never tried the "upgraded" EBow...does it offer any significant improvement in sound or functionality?

And until starting this thread, I'd never looked at the EBow website. So I went over there this morning, learned a couple of things, and had a laugh or two:

http://www.ebow.com/home.php

13. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I love my Ebow, but I don't use it much these days. It is so distracting that it takes attention away from the song, and I always get asked about it. I just do without usually and ride the volume pedal.

14. alberob

alberob Member

I once recorded my Taylor acoustic 12 string with my E bow.It sounded pretty cool.I called it "Too Toned to Pluck".I have no idea what happened to that cassete.:bonk

15. DemoColorScheme

DemoColorScheme Member

Same here. I have one but hardly ever use it. It often feels kinda gimmicky to me. :hide2
    Nevertheless, I like to have one so I can pick it up when I feel like it.

16. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I used it for a while playing "Ramble On." I can't remember what else I may have used it on, but it was fun to just noodle with!

17. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

I had one and loved it but some douche canoe stole it of off my mic stand on set break at a bar gig.

18. 94prs22

94prs22 Gold Supporting Member

I love the ebow and have a half a dozen. I keep spares of the older ones in case one breaks. I used them regularly for recording as they are a great way to make backing textures and melody and harmony lines that stand apart a bit. I currently have 2 chromes, 2 red scripts, 1 white script and 1 ebow +. And yes, the models all absolutely sound different especially in their drive strength/harmonic content and the speed with which the string drive happens.

19. Fenderkid67

Fenderkid67 Member

ebows are great, as will any effect when used too much become a gimmick but we all know that lol

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  20. aram

aram Member

I love it on acoustic.