Hal Leonard Play-Along Series: any good?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by MikeVB, May 23, 2011.

1. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Any experiences with Hal Leonard Play-Along series book/cds?

Wondered if they'd be useful for an advanced-intermediate player to quickly pick up new repertoire for cover bands? Maybe same an hour or two over learning them completely by ear at the pc. Not needed if it's only the basic chords and famous riffs kinda thing.

I'm specifically interested Duane Allman Volume 104.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939291&pf_rd_i=507846

2. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

Excellent tool for practicing: learning the arrangement, rhythm, and most of all TIMING! I have a few from Jeff Beck Sabbath, Rush.

3. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

They are well done. Be aware that they focus on a single guitar part at the time, there's none of that Gtr 1, Gtr 2, stuff you see in transcription books.

I didn't know about that Allman one...cool. I'm sure it's on the money.

Disclaimer: I work freelance with HL sometimes, but I've bought these books on my own dime.

4. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

5. townsend

townsend Member

I agree with the above posters that the HL play-alongs are well done. I have about ten of them.

I find the backing tracks of high quality. As already pointed out, the tab is only for one guitar, but it's not unusual for a second guitar part to be represented on the backing tracking. I like the guitar play-along DVD series even more (because I like to watch the guitar part being played). However, the on-screen tab on the guitar play-along DVDs is difficult to use . . . you can imagine how fast it has to "refresh" on some songs!

6. russ6100

russ6100 Member

I've got the Wayne Shorter one and the rhythm changes one - both are nice.

7. J.T.

J.T. Supporting Member

I think they are useful but unfortunately i have found tons of mistakes and inaccuracies in a lot of Hal Leonard transcriptions

8. d l x r e v e r b

d l x r e v e r b Member

The best feature is being able to play your guitar part along with a good performing band on the well-recorded cd without having to compete with the notes of a lead guitar. In effect you become the main guitar player in the band.

An incredible bargain for the price even if instead only a cd without transcripts.

The "famous riffs kind of thing" is the Hal Leonard Signature Riffs series, not the Play Along series. Signature Riffs is excerpts from songs. Play Along series is entire songs.