Half of New Guitar Players Are Women

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Stratburst70, Oct 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. eoengineer

eoengineer Supporting Member

I suppose you have some unique expertise that refutes the overwhelming pile of collected data from numerous studies that have reached the exact opposite conclusion you have?

You might want to limit the scope to guitars...

Hofnarr, xzacx and Radiopools like this.
  2. c_mac

c_mac Member

What overwhelming pile of data from numerous studies are you referring to?

3. eoengineer

Hofnarr and Radiopools like this.
  4. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

From what I've seen the market for Hello Kitty Squiers seems to be mainly heavy set dudes with tats and neck beards!

Boris Bubbanov likes this.
  5. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

Good for them. More players keeps the guitar market viable.

Boris Bubbanov and Radiopools like this.
  6. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

You're the most sane person here. I wish you could go on live tv and read it. Thank you!!!

7. ferrinbonn

ferrinbonn Member

Now I feel like a prophet. :cool:

8. c_mac

c_mac Member

9. eoengineer

I understand it doesn’t conform to your world view. Luckily we have data, which doesn’t really care about that.

You shouldn’t ask for data if you aren’t going to bother investing the effort to parse it.

Hofnarr and Radiopools like this.
  10. c_mac

c_mac Member

Oh, you’re serious? For a guy who seems to be all about data and studies, you’ve actually missed where the “gender pay gap” theory comes from? You think women are working the same jobs for less money instead of, on average, working less hours in fields that don’t pay as well? If so, I think you’re the one who should gig a little deeper and take the blinders off. ;)

cruiserman likes this.
  11. eoengineer

You clearly didn’t read the provided information. In fact, you didn’t even scan it. Your very point is completely refuted on that page.

Go look. Seriously.

Hofnarr likes this.
  12. ejkennedy

ejkennedy Member

People please stop liking and quoting from long winded, 400 word op-eds. From north south east and west. You’re encouraging these essays to continue. Pretty please thanks. :D

13. c_mac

c_mac Member

Uh huh

14. JonSick

JonSick Member

This is sort of the point I was making. Young people - girls and boys - are being exposed to what is on social media; youtube is just one example. I don't disagree with your summary of YouTube at all, my point is that there is a really sad gender war that is currently going on and it's so vastly blown out of proportion on social media platforms. And like it or not, what young people are seeing on these platforms are bleeding into the real world more and more. That's what I was trying to say, I wasn't trying to be a [Insert expletive her].

15. JonSick

JonSick Member

Hahaha, no I genuinely hadn't heard that term before and was attempting humour as a recourse.

16. Blackguard13

Blackguard13 Member

17. honeyiscool

honeyiscool Member

Ultimately, yes, the fact that women are so often underestimated has a very tangible effect on their lives.

I will never know truly what women feel, but there's a part of me that feels that I am often underestimated because of the color of my skin. I'm East Asian, and it's like, everything I'm good at, people just assume that it's some weird Asian talent, not because I've worked to be good at things. It's common for non-Asians to assume that I can't pull off modern music credibly because even if my fingers move fast, I must lack soul, initiative, drive, or some other BS like that. This is probably why when I was merely as good as other players, or maybe just a little bit better, I was getting zero opportunities to play guitar in bands. I had to become way better than other players before other musicians wanted to accept what I had to offer. People have a lot of these prejudices without even realizing, and even if it's a light one, if enough people feel it, it adds up to a pretty tangible effect on the number and quality of opportunities individuals have.

18. Mr. Bertha

Mr. Bertha Member

Same here. In fact, f*ck tgp. Don’t need it. Don’t want it. How do I get banned from tgp? I can’t find a way to delete my account...if I need advice on how to dress up my guitar-doll, I guess I’ll be in a tight spot.

19. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I would do without the makeup box but I would rock an LV covered G&G! It 's also nice to open up a guitar case with any smell more pleasing than mildew and cat piss like so many cases out there...