half power switches?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 6Tones, Jan 29, 2012.

1. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

Noob question but if you use a halfpower switch on a 100watt head all the time and it only 2 power tubes instead of 4...does that still mean when you retube you still have to get 4powertubes cause it wont bias properly or something?
    Does this also apply to say Rebel 30 were you say used only the EL side and not the 6L6 side?

2. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

Since all 4 tubes are heating up the same every day and getting shook by the same amp vibrations etc...they should wear out at the same rate whether they are used or not. Same holds true for the Rebel 20 and 30. The 4 tubes are always on...which was a big beef I had with those designs. they use up 4 power tubes at a time but...(since the sound isn't that much different to my ear between the 6V6 and the EL84 side)
    ...you really are paying in power tubes and electricity for a gimmick that doesn't offer a lot of reward to me.

A Tweaker makes more sense if you are using the EL84 side constantly. The Rebel 30 doesn't put out 30 watts unless you are right in the middle using all 4 tubes.