Half Time Show

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Marcfordsfuzz513, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

The highest suicide rate in the country today is among young gays. Nice post. :facepalm

And with that, farewell Super Bowl show thread. This negativity is why I now Ignore the entire Pub, I don't need more of it here.

2. drgonzoguitar

drgonzoguitar Member

These days? This is the past 10 years....

The best-selling album of 2000 was No Strings Attached by *NSYNC.
    The best-selling album of 2001 was Hybrid Theory by Linkin Park.
    The best-selling album of 2002 was The Eminem Show by Eminem.
    The best-selling album of 2003 was Get Rich or Die Tryin' by 50 Cent.
    The best-selling album of 2004 was Confessions by Usher.
    The best-selling album of 2005 was The Emancipation of Mimi by Mariah Carey.
    The best-selling album of 2006 was High School Musical Soundtrack.
    The best-selling album of 2007 was Noel by Josh Groban.
    The best-selling album of 2008 was Tha Carter III by Lil Wayne.
    The best-selling album of 2009 was Fearless by Taylor Swift.

Guitars are the side salad of music today. The half-time show was targeted to bringing more youth to table. It was still underwhelming, even by their standards.

My favorite review......

Greg Kot of The Chicago Tribune has been a longtime detractor of the Peas on the excellent “Sound Opinions” weekly radio program he co-hosts with Jim DeRogatis. He said the show somehow worked, mainly because the format fit the group’s limited skills:

The Black Eyed Peas, the first contemporary pop act to headline the Super Bowl halftime since Janet Jackson was over-exposed by Justin Timberlake in 2004, proved to be an oddly appropriate choice for the National Football League’s big international party Sunday in Dallas.

With lyrics like Madison Avenue slogans plastered over relentless beats, the quartet’s big, proudly superficial music advertised and celebrated itself. It’s not meant to be scrutinized, but blasted over big speakers at Cowboys Stadium or in saloons worldwide hosting Super Bowl parties.

It’s nearly impossible to do anything nuanced or thoughtful on such a stage in 12 minutes. So the Peas went for the gusto and the spectacle, wearing neon spacesuits and surrounded by flourescent dancers.

Coming in short minute-long bursts, the Peas’ songs actually benefited from the nervous, jump-cut energy of the medley.

3. NeuroLogic

NeuroLogic Supporting Member

The block head dances summed it all up very well. This is what the median driven music business is telling future generations to follow.

4. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

Band? That was a Vegas drag show

5. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

I was hoping for two things.

Pitch Correction and a Wardrobe Malfunction.

6. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

How well? She slaughtered that with 2 fists. That was the worst pile of crap ever.

7. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

That was a trainwreck of biblical proportions.

I love watching the tall Eskimo dude in BEP who just basically emphasizes every last word in chorus phrases and makes the stink face.

You know...like
    "we da Black Eyed PEAS
    Come along with ME
    We got some FLAVA
    We ain't no musical SAVIOR

It was GawdAwful start to finish. I bet Slash was throwing up in his mouth a little as FergieFerg Holiday Inn Lounge banded it through a silly quasi-impersonation of Axl. yuk

PS: I'd like to state that I have nothing against BEP and think they write some catchy pop riffs. There was really no real singing or playing. It was like a D-list version of Circe du Soleil with no gay French acrobats. Like the designers knew that the source material was so thin they just threw dozens/hundreds of "dancing" extras in Tron suits to punch it up.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  8. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

Thankfully I didn't pay attention to the halftime show at all. I was too busy bantering on Facebook, specifically in response to a member of the cheesiest cover band in my area bashing the Black Eyed Peas for being "unoriginal" and "dependent on other people's music." Oh the irony.

Still, I can't imagine it being worse than Tom Petty's "fueled by embalming fluid" performance a few years ago.

9. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

I agree. Unfortunately thug culture don't like teh country music.

10. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

My son said: "Black Eyed Ples" shut up and go home.
    ZZ Top lip synced the superbowl........I was crushed.
    They should also ask a person if they know the words to the NATIONAL ANTHEM before they ask them to sing. Deportation is in order along with Rose Ann at least she knew the words.

11. SlaminSam

SlaminSam Supporting Member

My 8 year old son said it was lame (me too), and he likes that type of music. It was more theater than music and unfortunatley that what POP music is. To borrow (and slightly change) a phrase from a song "You Call it POP I call it Bad Rock & Roll" Acoustics in that stadium for music are poor at best. Anyway the game actually may have pulled "DFW" out of the great debacle that surrounded the whole XLV week.

12. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

Yup. Therein lies the problem with todays manufactured entertainment. You have "performers" like the BEP's with marginal musical talent who are digitally tweezed in the studio in order to sound good. In a non studio environment the emperor has no clothes.

If you want spectacle AND a good band I say give George Clinton a call next year. That would shake things up.

13. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

BEP werent bad at all if you like them. Seems everyone here hates them to begin with (no surprise there). The Who were much more of a FAIL. Bruce was good and Tom Petty was decent but lacked energy. Prince had energy, teh Teles, good songs, and just overall rocked it out in the rain.

Slash was there to appease the curmudgeony baby boomers aka TGP.

14. clothwiring

clothwiring Member

I was hoping for a wardrobe malfunction.

15. mr.mattphisto

mr.mattphisto Member

Wow...that was bad..almost as bad as some of the 90s half time show.

and that was a bad karaoke version of sweet child of mine.

16. mannish

mannish Member

on which pea

17. RupertB

RupertB Supporting Member

:banana:banana:banana:banana

18. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

Everybody gets skewered after their Superbowl shows, but none was worse than yesterday's hack performance. Oy.

19. Papajuice

Papajuice Silver Supporting Member

Brad Paisley, Keith Urban, and John Mayer for half time next year.

20. Seegs

Seegs Member

wonder how much they...Slash and Usher got paid and if Christina Aguilara got docked for screwin up the words to the SSB?

Chow,
    Seegs