Hamer Artist owners chime in please?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Carl_Tone, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

I'm looking to get one of these as a major tweak project.

What kind of tweaks have you made or desire...

Or are you HAPPY as is ...stock?

I'm thinking especially about coil splittig or hum cancelled P-90...at least for the bridge...and have you seen the new P90/rail pickups?

I'm actually hoping to bond with the Seths...but they did not work out for me in a previous 335.

Does anyone wish the had the full gibson 4 knob control layout?

I'm also thinking abouta middle p/u..(I'm sure that is unthinkable to some):

Here is a 336 (not mine) that roughly describes what I mean:

[​IMG]

2. straightblues

straightblues Member

I have had Artists with P90's and with Humbuckers. They both sound very good. The Artist sounds more like a solid body than a 335 type semi hollow. They are really great guitars. I have Duncan Imperial Humbuckers in my current Artist and they sound great. You could put a single coil in the middle if you really wanted. But it gets plenty of tones without it.

Buy your Artist used. They are great deals used.

3. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

Thanks....used definitely...
    Duncan Imperials? ...... Lollars? if so...which winding selection?
    Did you split coils?.....thx

4. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Everyone knows you build Gibson's to rebuild...after all, "Only Gibson is good enough - to rebuild"

Leave it alone unless there is something glaring

5. Devnor

Devnor Member

Solid Korina body/neck. Upgraded with locking Grover keys and Harmonic Design P90 pups. P90s dont work for me tonally so whenever I get time I plan to switch out for mini buckers.

[​IMG]

6. jtees4

jtees4 Member

I have never owned an Artist, but I own and have owned many Hamers...i've always felt they were like a Gibson AFTER you do all the upgrading. I mean, they have great pickups, great hardware, great necks, top quality workmanship and parts throughout. I have never upgraded a Hamer. And buying them used, you end up with an already upgrade guitar for less than 1/2 the price of an equivalent Gibson. Just one old man's opinion...that's all.

7. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

I have tried a korina one, very impressed...and it was not half as nice as yours...looks all custom?

Some great advice!

I just won an artist custom with seths and splitting installed, I'll post after I get it up and going.

8. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i have a 25th anniversary artist (all mahogany) and they are fantastic guitars. ring like a bell and are perfect for rock, classic rock and the 80's music i play. the only upgrade i made was to wolfetone grey wolf bridge pickup. i had tried a few other custom wound hb's but this one was perfect. the 3 control layout is great and i could have even gone for a 1-2 knob control layout as i rarely tweak both volumes and never tweak the tone. noneed for a gibson style layout, imho. might ant to look into a splittable hb and push/pull pot combo to get the single coil sound, i couldn't fathom routing an artist for a middle single.
    the artist is laying down on the right.
    [​IMG]

9. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

if you want to change the pickups. Personally, I like the Seth's in my Artist. On the other hand I replaced the Duncans in my Monaco Elite with Fralins and I like those a lot better. As far as anything else goes, I can't cite a single thing I'd change on any of my Hamers.

10. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

Here's the hamer artist I got:

[​IMG]

The Seth Lover pickups were an instant hit when I plugged in. They left a real bad taste in my mouth in a prior guitar...but was probably more the guitar tan the P/u's.

My opinion of these changed 180 degrees.
    (My tech had some in an old bluesbird and they were oustanding there as well...deep tone, similar in tone to a Howard Roberts fusion.)

Also the prior owner installed a coil splitter, and it is more enjoyable in split mode, to me...just like my VA tele is too.

These are perfect gutars for guys who like the 24 3/4 VA's and want something that has a little hollow thump to it. Seems like a high end blues, fusion monster....

The action, fit and finish on this 96 hamer artist custom are WAY beyond the korina p90 one I tried in a store a few months ago...I honestly think this the lowest action w/o buzzing that I've seen.

As mentioned it does not beg to be modified beyond what it has been.

The split is essential IMHO and I think 11 guage strings would help.

11. Samba

Samba Member

I agree that they sound more akin to a solid than a semi. Here's a pic of the chamber:

[​IMG]

12. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

Much naysaying about the true versatility of this guitar which is basically a poor man's Baker. Many say it cannot sound hollow....

I don't think I'll be missing the ES 135 I sold to get this...

Don't try this at home w/o a coil splitter though...

This is the neck seth in single mode...no stellar playing here but just a tone sample.

I should probably go to 11 guage...but such as it is...

http://www.atozclean.com/Media/Hame_Tone.mp3

13. arniez

arniez Supporting Member

I have left mine stock. Love the seths in the Artist Custom and the SD Custom wound pups n the Artist Ultimate are incredible.
    [​IMG]
    ArnieZ

14. geetarman

geetarman Member

Wow!!!

15. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Nice playing! I sold my Artist 25th and I'm missing it a bit. There is another one for sale that I am seriously considering. I'm not sure what pups are in and I assume the coil splitting is not installed (does the coil split work by pulling up the volume pots or something?)

16. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

The Artist 25th / Artist Mahogany, Has Duncan 59's I believe. They would be hotter than the seths you hear in this clip, but would still perform well and split well.

As you probably know, Artist guitars are available for very reasonable prices on Ebay where I got mine.

The coil split on mine works by a toggle switch..the prior owner put it in in place of one of the volume pots and the remaining volume and tone are master controls.

Certainly there are other ways to do it...but this is fine for me.

17. hamstrat

hamstrat Member

The 25th came with a SD59 and a JB in the bridge. I love mine! What an easy playing guitar to have if you have a good quality strap(it's a tad neck heavy but I really like the overall weight). Not too crazy about the JB so that may change.