Hamer Artist Semi Hollow - Any 335 Tones?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by hardys, Jan 8, 2008.

1. hardys

hardys Member

I'm interested in buying a used Hamer Artist semi hollow body online, but have never plaed one. Could somebody please describe the sound of these guitars? Can these get a fat, 335 type tone? Id like to be able to get some round jazz tones and also some Carlton sounds. Thanks for any help on this!

2. Raymund

Raymund Member

The tone of a Hamer Artist is somewhere between a LP and a 335 and very versatile.

3. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

the artists are more woody and open than a soldibody, definitely.

4. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

The artist does have more airy tones and the response of a 335.
    You could get some 335ish when using both pickups in a brighter amp.
    The only tones I like out of a 335 type guitar is the front pickup and both, the lead is just not me but on the Artist it is a lot more usable a very nice big sound.

5. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

This is interesting news to me as well. I've been wondering about the hollow Hamers because my Monaco Elite is the best guitar of it's type I've owned. That includes a couple of good Les Pauls and a PRS Singlecut. I've been thinking about the ES339, but if I could get that vibe from a Hamer, I'd definitely go that route. One that interests me a great deal is the Monaco 3. I always wind up with humbucker sized single coils anyway so the P90s would be a great choice.