Hamer Artist vs. Hamer Studio

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gw_bluesman, Aug 12, 2006.

1. gw_bluesman

gw_bluesman Member

Hey guys ...

I am new to this forum but realy glad I joined. I'm basicially a blues player(everything from Allman Brothers to Robben Ford) & Southern rock player (Marshall Tucker Band) .

"Tube Amps" range from Blackface Fenders, Traynors, Dr.Z (I do not own a solid state amp).

Current guitars ... 2 vintage 1965 Gibson SG's (Standard & Custom), 2 Reverend's (96 Rocco "Eastpoint Nect) & 2000 Slingshot), few acoustics and misc pieces.

Lately I have my eye on a Hamer, never played one but am going to. They seem like a great value. So, I would like some input from you Hamer players on the Artist vs. Studio? (I tend to lean more toward the studio/solid body, l heard it does the LP thing GREAT and I love a burst finish. I do not like LP's, too heavy, unbalanced and poor high-fret access.)

Specificially, how would you describe the Tone of each?

Since the artist is semi-hollow, any feedback issues on stage?

Thanks Guys

2. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

You might have better results asking this in the "Guitars in General" forum or, better yet, at the Hamer Fanclub Forum (www.hamerfanclub.com/forums). I love Hamers and had a mahogany artist at one point, but I've never played a Studio (yet), so I can't help you much.

-Austin

3. gw_bluesman

gw_bluesman Member

Austin .... yes, good suggestion, I will post it on the fan club !!!

Thanks !!

4. Brian Scherzer

Brian Scherzer Staff Member

For what I like to play, I prefer the Studio. I purchased a Hamer "Triple Threat" a couple of months ago and it is by far my favorite guitar....but keep in mind that I am a bassist! The semihollow guitars just don't have the sound I wanted, but the style of music YOU want to play could make a semihollow a better choice. The best advice anyone can give you is to see if you can find a dealer that has both types so that you can try them out. As far as tone and build quality, I am thrilled with my Hamer.

5. gw_bluesman

gw_bluesman Member

6. Boomdoggy

Boomdoggy Supporting Member

I have owned both,and they both are sweet.For your setup,the Artist is the clear choice.It gets big and round and the "look" is also there.I play a higher gain blues,and the Artist with Seth's had way too much feedback.The Studio's were great,but I never really got a LP vibe from them.Lighter,flatter boards and totally different feel.
    I don't have any LP's anymore,but I have a USA Dean Hardtail that does the LP sound nicely.They don't all do it,so play many.

7. straightblues

straightblues Member

I have had both (at the same time). First of all, you can't go wrong with either. The Artist is only hollow on the bass side. It give the bass strings a little bit of the round semi-hollow tones. The treble strings remain soild and keep the sound of a solid body. In fact, from the G B and E strings, I doubt you would be able to hear the difference in these two models. What I am trying to get at is an Artist is much closer to a Les Paul than a 335. I love my Artist and it got (still gets) played a lot more. I am a traditional blues player. The Studio only came out when I wanted to play hard classic rock. The Artist can do the hard rock thing too, but I had to use the Studio for something. I ended up selling the Studio about 6 months ago because I like the Artist so well.

8. gw_bluesman

gw_bluesman Member

Interesting comments "Straightblues" ... you and Doomdoggy are on the same page it seems. I have an Artist on hold and am completing the deal and a local guy has 2 Artist's for sale, a Mahogany and one w/ P-90's. Suddenly I may find myself w/ three, lol ... I'll post my comments once I form an opinion.

Thanks for the input guys !!!

9. Mrgearguy

Mrgearguy Member

I would have to say that the Artist is a more versatile instrument because the chamber gives it a range not available to the solid version. The Studio, being solid seems to have the edge on the darker mids which are a little more LP sounding.

I've never had an issue with uncontrolable feedback on an Artist, however they do start to sustain with the amp at a lower volume than the Studio. The Artist has a more "stringy" response because the top is suspended and vibrates more easily upon initial attack. I believe that anothe big difference is the pickups. The Artist uses the Seth Lover Duncans which are my favorite humbuckers right up there with Lollar Imperials for open sound.

The Studio has a pickup based on the Duncan 59, which is a little more throaty and mid-heavy. The older Studios were set up with a JB at the bridge which sound like ass to me, but then again some people love them.

Side note: This seems to be about the best place on the web for straight-ahead Hamer info, as I found that the Fanclub is more stuck in what Hamer did in the 1980s than anything else.

10. Boomdoggy

Sounds awesome.Really wanted to try a P-90 Artist,but have never seen one in person.

11. Doctor Shred

Doctor Shred Active Member

Hamer USA are super high quality instruments. I love them. I prefer the Studio, because I'm not into hollowbodies.

12. Boomdoggy

I found this pic of my old Artist.I forgot how sweet it was.
    [​IMG]

13. gw_bluesman

gw_bluesman Member

Thanks Doctor Shred & Boondoggy, comments appreciated !!!

In my post, I made a mistake, I have a Studio on hold and am looking at two Artists. I went with the Studio on an impluse since I play SG's (solid Mahogany body, however mine are vintage so I do not take them out much), I figured the Studio would be fairly familar to me.

I have a Reverend Rocco (HB, chambered body and I find the bottom can get flubby where as a solid body might stay a little tighter. However, at this point I am just experimenting but I am having fun, lol.

As I said, I may very well find myself w/ 3 Hamers very shortly. (Guess I better buy the wife something so she looks the other way, lol)

14. gw_bluesman

gw_bluesman Member

BTW .. Boomdoggy, Pretty Artist !!! that's an Artist Custom I see. I am going basic for now, I need a working tool and also just testing the "Hamer" waters so I didn't want to buy something too pretty yet.

This Studio on hold has 2 Duncan 59's and so does one of the Artist's I am looking at. The P-90 Artist of course has p-90's (duh!!). Actually, I prefer the 59's to the Seth Lover which is un-potted, they can sometimes squeal if you are close to the amp. Tone wise, they are "very" close.

15. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

I have a '95 Studio with Wolfetone Grey Wolf humbuckers.Killer sound.
    Beautiful guitar.

16. Boomdoggy

I prefer the 59's also.I'm sure any Artist you get will be sweet.I will get another Hamer someday.

17. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I have both...from your description I'd say the Studio for you. I was surprised at how different my Artist sounded from my Studio(s...just sold one)...fatter, rounder, less bite. But it's all good. :AOK
    Greg

18. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

That's what happened to me when I first scored Hamer...ended up with three in the course of a couple weeks. You'll likely be quite pleased...just a matter of finding the best fit for you.
    Greg

19. straightblues

straightblues Member

I had bought an SG Standard and had it about 6 months. After I bought my Artist, the SG never made it back out of the case. The Artist sounded, felt and played better.

Let us know how you like the Studio.