hamer daytona?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by neastguy, Jun 3, 2005.

1. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

I'm just tired of my strat....I'd like to try someting different, was thinking about trying a Hamer Daytona if I can find one....are those made in US or are they Korean....there is one on the bay thats Korean, just wondering ....thanks.....

2. toasteroven

toasteroven Member

The older ones (made between 94 and 96) were American made, and honestly I don't think you can find a better strat than a USA-made Daytona. A buddy of mine has one and its fit and finish, tone, components and playability are absolutely top notch. Even while their prices have been going up, they're still a fantastic bargain, too. They're also much more consistent than Fenders, so you can buy one used or off ebay and feel comfortable about the purchase.

3. bluestein

bluestein Member

Agreed!

For whatever reason, Hamers are still way underpriced for what they are. USA Daytonas are easy to find, and sell in the $400 range - a GREAT value for a fine guitar.

The quality of Hamer guitars is easily on par with PRS, Gibson, Fender etc - perhaps even better. I have no idea why they are still trading for so little money. Fantastic instruments.

4. neastguy

tell me where to find...lol... so basically stay away from the Korean made...

5. bluestein

bluestein Member

Just watch Ebay. I've seen dozens for sale over the last year or two.

Yes, stay away from the korean line...look for the USA decal in small letters on the headstock at the tail end of the HAMER logo.

I suppose it's possible to "counterfeit" the USA logo - but why go to the effort for a $400 sale?

I'm thinking that the import line is where Hamer shot themselves in the foot - in cashing in on the name, they lost any shot at being percieved as a "high end" instrument. Most folks seem to think of Hamer as an equivalent to Squire instruments.....

At least Fender had the good sense to change the brand name on their budget instruments.

Anyway, the USA instruments are great guitars - by any standards. And affordable.

6. neastguy

ok , I've only been looking for a couple weeks, one is bound to show up soon....thanks...

7. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hello neastguy,

Do not buy any Hamer Slammer series guitars. They're made in Korea, unless you're looking for a cheap budget guitar. You don't have to wait a couple of weeks. You can have one sooner than that, my friend. Some of the guys over at the Hamer Fan Club are selling their Hamer USA Daytonas. One of the best Strat guitars I've played and puts a Fender American Standard Strat to shame. Here are the links:

http://www.hamerfanclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2667&hl=daytona

http://www.hamerfanclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2262&hl=daytona

http://www.hamerfanclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2579&hl=daytona

http://www.hamerfanclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1966&hl=daytona

http://www.hamermuseum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=731&highlight=daytona

Daytona (1993 - 1997) - contoured ash body with offset double cutaways, bolt-on maple neck with skunk stripe, maple board with black dots (optional rosewood fingerboard), 22 frets on a 25.5 inch scale. Three single coil pickups mounted on scratch plate, Wilkinson VSV trem. system. Daytona SV has EMG pickups.

If you're really interested in Hamer USA guitars, join the messageboards: www.hamerfanclub.com www.hamermusuem.com Both of these websites are very cool and are about the Hamer USA guitars, of course. Come over and check us out!! E-mail the seller and let him know you're interested in purchasing his guitar. He'll appreciate it. Tell him Guitar George sent you!!

Guitar George

8. arniez

arniez Supporting Member

Hamer Daytona is a great strat alternative esp if you prefer a flatter fingerboard radius. There are both ash and alder bodied examples as well as maple and rosewood fingerboards. The rosewood fingerboards are less common. I do not think you'll find many in good shape for $400 any longer. Hamer used prices have been moving up with new prices and increased visibility in Tonequest etc.
    ArnieZ

9. schmit

schmit Member

Over the years Ive had 2 USA Daytona's....for the price they are without a doubt *the* best bang for the buck Strat clones out there....period......I had a 94 swamp ash/maple board...which admittedly was kinda heavy, but the tone made up for it. Hamer used that "northern ash"....I also had a 96 alder/rosewood.....That was an awesome guitar that I sold only after I bought a Melancon Pro that has the most lightweight resonant Louisiana swamp ash body Ive ever played.....Good thing though is that I sold it to a friend who still has it, says he'll never sell it and I still get to play it!!

10. neastguy

thanks everyone, I signed up at the hammer club and am going to keep my eyes peeled on the bay and see what happens... I played a brand new cheapo Ibanez E335 at practice yesterday that someone brought and I was diggin the sound better than my strat, and it had old strings on it.....lol.... I may miss my strat, but I'm sure I can always find another fender, there is a zillion of them out there... I'd love to try a Melancon, but my budget right now is bout' $800, If i can fix up my LP soon enough I will sell my strat and have a bit more money to play with, but I also want to get a P90 guitar... one strat, one lp and one p90, that way I'll have everything I need.....lol...sure I will!!!