Hamer guitars. Whats the story?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mike M, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Mike M

Mike M Supporting Member

I have never owned one of these guitars. I have owned mostly vintage gear and Lots of Les Pauls. I was wondering what is the best guitar they make and is the tone very nice. The used Hamers on Ebay seem to lose there value very quickly.

Thanks

2. matte

matte Senior Member

The early Hamers are MURDER. I rocked a Sunburst and a Standard from the "70s to early to mid "80s.

3. Unburst

Unburst Member

Hamers are great, can't say what their best guitar is, depends what you're looking for.
    They are well made and among the best sounding guitars I've ever played.

4. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

WORD. They ALL kick ass. Just as good as anyone else's axes. My Fav is the Studio Custom P90. Goldtop. Wow. what an axe. I've been through several, and used to sell them in a store. Just amazing stuff. Particularly for the price.

They have a VERY flat radius neck though, and that's what forced mine out the door. They use a 14" Radius.

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

The USA made Hamers were - and are - among the best at what they do. Materials, hardware, craftmanship is all frirst rate. They were amazing bargins used; and remain good ones (though it seems lately folks are catching on a bit and used prices are up a touch).

I have owned a whole slew of USA Hamers and they have all been excellent. As good as, or better, than any other USA factory.

6. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

I've only owned one Hamer, a 90s special. The craftsmanship was great. I finally sold it (for exactly what I paid) mainly because it had a really slim neck and I prefer a little more beef. I would certainly consider another. I would love to own a Monaco or Newport but I doubt it'll happen because if the neck carve is anything like the Special, I'd have to have their custom shop make one with a thicker neck carve. I imagine that would add so much to the cost that I'm better off sticking with PRS, whose "wide-fat" neck carve is great.

7. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

How's this for a crazy Hamer? Solid falme maple body!

Hamer

8. mrhappy

mrhappy Member

They make some great stuff. I have @ 18 of em at present.

9. dwoovre

dwoovre Member

The necks on most modern Hamers are likely quite a bit thicker than your '90s Special. My Artist Mahogany and Newport both have necks in medium-thick range. They are considerably larger than an mid-90s Artist I sold primarily for that reason.

10. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

I'm glad to hear that. I may own another one yet.

11. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

12. Dave Paetow

Dave Paetow Guest

I've owned a ton of Hamers over the years, they are high quality guitars that can be had for very reasonable dollars these days. Currently have a Diablo I paid next to nothing for, and it's a great guitar.

The newer Hamers have chunkier necks, the neck on my brother's Korina Artist is a friggin' telephone post.

13. arniez

arniez Supporting Member

I own several and each one is an outstanding guitar. Hamer customer service is also as good as it gets. Currently their entire lineup is available with a choice of vintage or modern neck profiles. The vintage is in the realm of the old Gibson's and the modern is a more medium profile. No more thin necks at all unless custom ordered. Here is a pic of one of mine!
    [​IMG]
    ArnieZ

14. Joe

Joe Senior Member

Hamer? Never heard of them. :p

[​IMG]

15. All the Hamers I've played were sweet guitars.

16. Dave Paetow

Dave Paetow Guest

3 Virtuosos? DAMN! :)

17. jordanL

jordanL Member

I have 20th Anniversary-mahogany semi hollow, thats a beautiful guitar, and the price I paid was ridiculous.

[​IMG]

I've played and heard many others, and while not as flashy as PRS, ithink thier build quality is about equal. When I first saw a friends Newport, I asked if the color was custom, but The very coool (IMHO) Orange with metalflake was the standard color. Great guitars.

18. Mike Dresch

Mike Dresch Silver Supporting Member

I've had three really nice Hamers in my lifetime. All super nice guitars.

I still want my custom shop Californian Custom back! Anyone here buy a midnight blue Californian Custom with gold hardware and a reverse headstock on Ebay a few years ago? Want to sell it? :D

19. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Love them Steve Stevens models Joe!! Those things all rock.

Anyone know if they are doing smaller radius now? IE at least 12" but preferably 10"?

I'd be back in the fold then.

Still have a Daytona (strat) but had to put a Warmoth neck on it to be able to keep it.

20. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

I also have the 25th Anniv Artist Semi Hollow Mahogany. I'm impressed with the workmanship at such a modest price. I picked this up from a fellow GP'er and I'm loving it !