Hamer Jr.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by teletalkin, May 22, 2008.

1. teletalkin

teletalkin Supporting Member

I just picked up a new one.......great guitar with a very unique vibe all its own. I'll post pics soon......any love for this cool guitar?!!

2. SUBmariner

SUBmariner Member

I'd probably love one if I could afford it. Five USA Hamers here, don't have a Hamer over $500 as of yet . . .

Tell us what it is about the Jr. you love.

3. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

4. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I would love to try one - THE Hamer for me. But even used they're not cheap.

5. teletalkin

Aside from the tone and playability it is probably the "vibe" the guitar has. If you haven't played one I'm not sure I can explain what I mean. I think I play it differently than I do other guitars though. The honeymoon has just started so who knows how I'll feel in a few months. Right now I'm surprised how good the guitar sounds unplugged, clean and dirty. Tons of fun!!

6. Dumo

Dumo Supporting Member

It's one of Hamer's best. That says a lot. I have an LP jr. DC VOS that is super sweet too. Great rock guitar. Korina?

7. teletalkin

Yeah its Korina.......as soon as I find my camera I'll post some pics. My 4 and 2 yr old daughters can't remember where they last "played" with it!

8. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I have one as well, Korina. I posted a thread about a month ago with pictures. This is the rock guitar, nails AC/DC to a "T". Lots of cool tones. Mine had action about 1/32nd of inch or lower, I couldn't play it because it was too low, but the guitar still din't buzz...unbelievable.

I have since raised the action and intonated it again because of the change. The only thing I have noticd is the guitar doesn't hold tune if I haven't playe dit for a few days, once I get tuned up again and retune it seems to stay in tune really well.

Tonally, it's all midrange baby, lots of grit and spit, you can tame it some by setting the tone control around 3 or 4 but the entire range of the tone pot is useful. I have used it in a blues and disco/cover band and never felt wanting; actually it's kind of liberating not having to fuss with pu selections and such. This guitar wails for slide, it has that gritty old school tone, try it with a mild overdrive like a KOT or TIM, these guitars are a blast.

9. willhutch

willhutch Supporting Member

Superb guitars. I switched to a fralin overwound pup. I was an improvement. The overwind gives more juice AND controls some of the guitar's shrillness.

Because I'm a tinkerer, I'm also considering swapping the tailpiece for a tonepros unit.

10. cheesey

cheesey Member

I got a korina junior from a member here for $1300. It was only a few months old. Its a great player, lets just say my LP standard is sitting in its case possibly up for grabs soon.
    I have thought of changing the pick up but this thing has so much balls i dont want to change anything.

11. teletalkin

12. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

13. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

Very nice. I have always thought the Korina Jr was a gorgeous guitar, congrats.

14. teletalkin

Thanks teleamp.......I haven't been able to put this guitar down. I play it at every opportunity and the more I do the more I like it.

15. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I'm a Junior fan, so I think these are cool guitars. I have never played one (I've never even seen one in a store), but I hope I get the chance to play one someday. They are pricey.