Hamer MONACO III (custom order) arrival

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by conrad, Jul 13, 2005.

1. conrad

conrad Member

This arrived 14 days ago in Belgium:

Monaco III - custom order
    Tobacco sunburst no black-cognac center
    Ebony fingerboard
    Bound F-holes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

with dirty fingerprint -sorry
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. straightblues

straightblues Member

Very nice. I am sure will enjoy that. I understand they sound strat like. I haven't played one, but man I would love to. I play the Newport, Artist and Studio. That three pickup Monaco is definatley on my list.

Please give us a review of how it sounds. I have played sevaral Monacos and I already know it plays very nicely. Also which pickups did you get in it.

3. conrad

conrad Member

It came with the standard SD P-90's.
    It has some strat flavoured sounds in it, but that wasn't exactly what I was looking for. I just wanted a guitar as versatile as possible. I only have it for a couple of weeks now and I am still in the exploration phase.
    And there's a lot to explore in it !!!!

4. pcutt

pcutt Member

Looks great!

It seems like Hamer Monacos and other Hamer semi-hollowbodies come with two or three knobs, not four like the Gibson ES-335. Having foolishly sold my 335 I'm in the market for something similar and am quite interested in the Hamers, but I really like the 4-knob approach. Are Hamer's available with the 4-knob design as a standard or would this be a custom order?

Thanks,
    Paul

5. conrad

conrad Member

6. straightblues

straightblues Member

I had this same feeling until I got my Hamers. (Aritist, Studio and Newport). I have easily been able to live without the 4 knobs and I am a guy who changes knobs many times during each song.

7. kselbee

kselbee Member

I've been eyeing some of the Monacos at Willcutts, but the little lip at the bottom of the neck in the upper registers looks uncomfortable. What's up with that?

8. george4908

george4908 Member

Surprisingly, your hand doesn't hit that little lip. Looks odd, I grant you, but it's a non-issue ergonomically.

9. gregc

gregc Member

That space is needed for the Dovetail joint they use on the neck. It's a non-issue when you pick it up to play. They can also blend it on a custom order basis, ...I'm pretty sure Jol said that~!
    gregc

10. conrad

conrad Member

Played it for a couple of hours yesterday, and especially in the high registers, and that little lip wasn't an issue, never touched it even.

11. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

Very nice looking guitar! Really love the look of those M3's! I custom ordered a Monaco 3 Goldtop with custom wiring...instead of the chicken head 5 way, I had them replace it with a 3 way toggle for standard neck/bridge operation. The middle p'up was always on but I had a 3rd knob added to bleed in as much or little of it as needed. It was GORGEOUS, bound F holes, locking sperzels, Natural grain back....only thing was the tone I was looking for was NOT there. Dont know if the wiring job was the culprit or the Duncans just weren't up to snuff. I tried for months of p'up height adjustments, tone knob variations, amp settings, etc...I finally gave up and had to sell it. I thought about buying Lollars or other replacement p'ups but couldn't bear the disappointment if they didn't help not to mention dropping another $300 on an already high dollar custom order. I hope your experience is the polar opposite of mine and you fine tonal nirvana!

12. conrad

conrad Member

Wasn't the maple top the initial problem ?

Normally the monaco III is topped with spruce, that gives another tonal range - Kiz (who bought your monaco ) also had trouble with it, and moved it trough also. He also couldn't live with the combination maple top and the (too) hot P-90's.

13. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

Good possibility...however, it seems most P90 hollowbodies are with maple tops or maple laminates...I think the wiring played a big part of the tone issue...does yours feedback excessively?

14. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I like these a lot, largely because of the 25-1/2" scale. :dude

I was seriously considering one, before the 25-1/2" scale Baker came up recently... now I be poor again...! ;)

Keep us posted...!

15. conrad

conrad Member

At home it doesn't has excessive feedback, (less than my Newport) , I haven't tried it on high volume levels yet.

16. BadgerDave

BadgerDave Gold Supporting Member

I love my (slightly different) Monaco. Mine has a maple top, korina body and ebony board. Surprisingly, the tone is not overly bright.

I did replace the pickups with a set of Harmonic Design Classic humbuckers. The stock Duncan Custom and Custom Custom pickups were not well suited to this guitar, IMO.

[​IMG]

17. conrad

conrad Member

I ordered this one with a lot of help from the distinguished members of the Hamer Fanclub board.
    Thanks a lot, I would not dare to do this without their help, tone reports, hints and suggestions. (This is the first guitar I ever bought new)