hamer monaco love

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mattmccloskey, Jul 28, 2005.

1. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

I couldn't resist, I sprang for a hamer monaco elite in gloss black from willcutts.
    This thing is fantastic. Inlays are clean and classy, finish is smooth and glossy, the binding is flawless (no bleed!). Plus the setup out of the case is dead on- straight neck, low action with no buzz, intonation is right on. The tone with the duncans is rich and smooth. I am totally jazzed with this guitar. It really gets the LP type tones but has better hardware and fit and finish than any LP's I have picked up. More affordable as well.
    I cannot think of a single negative with this thing, it just plays effortlessly, stays in tune, sounds fat and looks fantastic. I was 100% comfy with it as soon as I picked it up.

2. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Hamer guitars amaze me! Sleeper instruments that overachieve in all categories.

Enjoy your new guitar!

3. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

I just got rid of a Monaco Elite, and it was the fattest sounding guitar I've ever had/played. The combination of construction and those pickups produces a dark, fat, sustaining monster.

4. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

My Monaco Elite (and Superpro I sold) are amazing guitars. They are more comfortable than Historic Les Pauls to me (I love the Les Pauls too though). I swapped the pickups because I thought the Duncans were too hot, got some Lollar Imperials.

[​IMG]

5. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I do like their long-scale Monaco with the three P90s... it looks gorgeous, and I'll bet it sounds like a mofo..!

6. HHB

HHB Member

here's my custom sprucetop Monaco Superpro, I call it the Sprucerpro , the very first spruce top superpro made as well!

[​IMG]

7. kselbee

kselbee Member

If that's the one I'm thinking of, I've admired that pic many times and almost called them! Enjoy... and how about some clips?

8. conrad

conrad Member

Still in honeymoon with mine :

[​IMG]

9. Nigel

Nigel Guest

Don't mean to hijack the thread but, what do you think of the Lollars? I have a set of his P90's that are excellent.

10. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

You just cant go wrong with a USA Hamer can you? Congrats!

Gregory

11. ROKY

ROKY Member

That is F*****g schweeeeeeeeet !!!!!

long scale, eh ?

As in 25.5" ??

12. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

Man that guitar looks good.... To answer the above question, the Lollar Imperial humbuckers are killer! I also use his Tele pickups.

13. conrad

conrad Member

14. HHB

HHB Member

just to clarify , the Monaco line is the singlecut looking Huberesqu body, in that line the elite are solidbody and smaller ala the les paul, ( the one pictured w/ tele, this is like Matts new axe ) the Monaco Superpro are the larger shape but w/ chambers, no f holes and usually come in flame maple tops, mines was custom ordered, finally, the plain ole Monaco is the platform we see here w 3 P-90's, large body, hollow, , f holed, sprucetop and bigsby, the 3 pups and chkenhead know make is a Monaco III, the standard " Monaco" is like the 3 w/ dual humbuckers, the cool thing is Hamer will customize just about any feature that you eant, BadgerDaves and mine do not appear in the catalog, total custom orders that we designed, go Hamer

15. conrad

conrad Member

On mine the extra options were the colour (normally the monaco III comes in Trans Red or Natural) - this is tobacco sunburst -no black, cognac center, the bound F-holes and the ebony fretboard - I didn't had the guts to go any further....
    But I am happy with the result.:D
    [​IMG]

16. Reeek

Reeek Member

You should be happy. That's a fine friggin guitar ;)

17. 58gasman

58gasman Member

I've long believed that Hamer guitars are the best production guitars going. They just seem to get it.

18. Slick51

Slick51 Colonel Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Northwest Corner of NC, 5 mi from MerleFest
    Yes, I agree...I've been playing those for a long time. I called Hamer when they were in Arlington Heights and had a Prototype made for me...the "3 coil" pickup one (a single coil and a HB next to each other).

I still have four Hamers, including an Artist Custom, a Sunburst, a Special FM, and this Monaco Elite.

[​IMG]

Beyond sweet, and out 'Les Paul's any Gibson I've owned (and that's a substantial number too).

But my Heritage H150CM does that also...
    :dude

Slick51

19. DaveK

DaveK Member

My Monaco Elite showed up today.:D
    The fit,finish,attention to detail is excellent.Major props to the people at Hamer for caring about what they do.It shows.
    Henry J can stuff it.:p
    [​IMG]

20. morgan

morgan Guest

There was a customer korina hamer for sale in the classifieds forum that was to die for. I'm sorry it was sold before i saw it. Somebody said Hamer is a sleeper brand, I wonder if all the bad press (forum press anyway) on gibson and the potential QC issues are driving traffic to Hamer.