1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hamer Newport Pro - Any Feedback Problems?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by hardys, Jan 5, 2008.

1. hardys

hardys Member

I've been considering buying a Newport Pro, but need to do it online, hence I can't try one first. My question is that being hollow bodied, are these prone to feedback? More than an ES-335? I once had a ES-330 that was really bad and almost unusable at my band stage volumes.

2. anibas

anibas Member

I've got a 2000 model 12 string Newport loaded with Phat Cat single coils,and I've had no problems with feedback clean or dirty.One of the best built guitars I own,BTW.

3. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

how much gain do you play with regularly? i have 3 newport pros and don't have any feedback problems at stage volume with classic rock gain levels. i did change the seth lovers out for fralins (potted). the unpotted seths may howl a little at higher gain or volume levels.

4. Samba

Samba Member

I've got a regular Newport, and the only feedback I've experienced is the musical kind. Just note that if you play with a great deal of gain at volume, the unpotted Seth Lovers in the Pro can tend to squeal a bit.

Edit: Oops- teefus beat me to it.

Great guitars!

5. hardys

hardys Member

Thanks a bunch, guys. So, other than the Seth's squealing, is it safe to say the Newport doesn't feed back any more than a 335? Also, I've heard of some Hamer being neck heavy. Is the Newport?

6. Samba

Samba Member

My Newport isn't neck heavy, though that might have something to do with the Bigsby on the non-Pro. I wouldn't worry about feedback unless you're into serious gain and massive volume. It's not going to do the ES-330 kinda feedback.

Best axe I've ever purchased for the money, and criminally cheap for a carved-out solid wood guitar...

[​IMG]

Edit- just thought I'd share a pic of the grained ivoroid binding. Delicious.

[​IMG]

7. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

I've not had any feedback problems with my Newport even while using a fair amount of gain at stage levels. As others have already said, this is one of the best guitar values out there.

8. planetal

planetal Member

I have both a Newport and a 335, they both feedback a bit easier than a solid body does, but it isn't something you cant easily control. If you play at intense stage volume levels and with a lot of gain it might be an issue, but for what I do I've not found the newport (or my 335) to have issues with feedback during gigs. I also don't think the newport is neck heavy, feels balanced to me, but I tend to adapt quickly to whatever it is I'm playing. Mine has phat cats and a bigsy if that makes a difference.

9. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I never had feedback problems with a 335 or a newport. Maybe through a 100 watt marshall cranked through a 4x12 cab but I've played some pretty loud gigs with those guitars and never came close to getting feedback.

10. felken

felken Member

As as been noted the Seth Lovers can squeel with high gain. Other than that it has not been a problem on mine. I am going to try a set of unbuckers mostly because I want more use out of the neck pup.

11. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

I've never had problems, even in higher volume, WHO-style gain/overdrive situations. Depending on your playing environment, you may get different results, but I got a really nice, controllable (intentional!) growly feedback with the stock PhatCat pickups.

12. hardys

hardys Member

How does the sound of a Hamer Artist with humbuckers compare to a Newport with humbuckers?

13. jzucker

Very different. The spruce makes a huge difference. You get that sweet wispy/velvety attack like George Benson but with the note bloom of a 335.

14. hardys

hardys Member

While I have all of you Hamre guys attention, is there much of a tonal difference between the stop tail and Bigsby Newports. How is the tuning satbility with a Bigsby? I don't use a whammy bar that much and wonder if there are any drawbacks with a Bigsby.

15. jzucker

There's always drawbacks with a bigsby. The bigsby is very cool though and the lost of sustain the slightly muffled attack is something you'll have to weigh. As a vibrato bar, it's not very good compared to a strat vibrato but it has it's own vibe that you can't quite get with a strat. Unless you're specifically into that rockabilly or early swing stuff I'd say get a stop tail.

16. cruster

cruster Member

I originally parsed that as "Velveeta," Jack. :messedup

(Still digging SOS1, by the way)