Hamer Newport Pro & Monaco SuperPro question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mad dog, May 22, 2008.

1. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Hey all. Been gassing lately for these. Never saw or played either ... what started me off was all those clips from Jack Zucker with his Monaco SuperPro. And now there are some sweet looking newports in the emporium. For those of you familiar with these guitars:

-- Any idea of how the maple vs. spruce top affects sound on the Newport Pro?

-- How does the chambered SuperPro compare tonally to the sort of hollowbody Newport Pro?

-- Is the scale length difference signifcant tonally or in playing feel?

Any observations and advice welcome. Thanks.

Michael D.

2. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i have 2 newport pros (spruce) and one newport pro maple top so i can answer your spruce versus maple question. the spruce top is more open and airy. the maple top is tighter and more compressed. more sustain with the maple, more acoustic ring with the spruce. very different animals really, that's why i ended up with both. the maple topped newport pro i have is actually somewhat dark sounding which i really wasn't expecting. the newport pros are fantastic rock and roll machines. they thrive at stage volume with a nice tube amp roaring behind them. sustain and feedback bloom for days.

3. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

I've got a spruce one. Fantastic guitar, unbelievable build quality.

4. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

I have both the Newport Pro & the Monaco Superpro. Both are fantastic
    guitars with tone for days.

5. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Maple is the darker of the two. This really surprised me but I've experienced the same thing with both hamer and godin guitars which offer the same guitar in both tops.
    The Newport Pro has more of a hollow vibe to it.
    Yes for both. The scale length of the 25.5 feels stiffer and adds a brilliant zing to the tone. IMO, I don't like the longer scale for robben/carlton sounds as much as the shorter scale but if you do any pick/fingers stuff or are not trying to mimic robben or larry's tone you should be fine.

One additional piece of info is that the newport is slightly neck heavy.

6. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

It will be interesting as soon I will have a Newport Pro with a Spruce top and Seth Lovers. I already have a Monoco with the same configuration. The only differences will be scale length and sigle vs. double cutaway.

BTW, I personally think spruce tops on archtops are the way to go. I honestly am not a big fan of maple tops of guitars as I think the highs are not as nice.

7. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I think it's hard to generalize harry. There are times that the maple top is nicer. With higher gain tones (ala dumble) I like the maple top but for clean tones, I think the maple lacks some of the wispyness. In either case, it's a compromise. Pickups make a big diff too. I'm not a fan of seth lovers and the 59/JB pickups that hamer seems to prefer.

8. straightblues

straightblues Member

I have a Newport with Phat Cats. Do not overlook these pickups. They are great in the Newport. They were designed by Duncan specifically for this guitar. I put in TV Jones TV Trons and Duncan Antiquities into the guitar to try them out. The Phat Cats just killed them both.

9. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

The Newport with the Spruce top (and PhatCats) is a wonderful guitar. Really well executed, and it covers a lot of territory. Nice jazzy stuff, flat out rockabilly to a Pete Townshend-approved crunch. Not a high-gainer, obviously, but it can be a really sweet sounding instrument.

I've played some maple topped ones w/humbuckers, and my Monaco 3 has a maple top - definitely a different thing altogether. I A/B'd a few of the guitars, and the spruce has a warmth and a woodier tone. The maple is definitely darker, as said above - that's a great way to describe it. The maple topped versions would definitely work better for the rock cover band stuff we do.