1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Hamer...now I understand

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gkelm, Feb 13, 2006.

1. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I hunted thinner neck Hamer Studios for some time before landing these three within one week's time. I intended on only keeping one, but I still have them all. They play, feel, and sound great (although the 94 has a couple issues to be worked out). I see why people dig these...I'm there. :)
    Greg

[​IMG]
    93 Studio Custom, 83 Sunburst, 94 Studio

2. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Yep. They're quality guitars.

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

Your 93 is almost a twin to my 95. I utterly love Hamer USA guitars. Flat out.

4. Intelligentpony

Intelligentpony Member

Preachin' to the choir here!

5. tiptone

tiptone Member

Then I guess that makes my '03 the triplet then, looks identical except I have a pair of zebra Fillmores in mine.

6. martie6621

martie6621 Silver Supporting Member

...Been a Hamer fan for a long time too. Glad to see them gaining in appreciation. That '83 is nice!

7. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Member

Hamer is good stuff!

8. discountsounds

discountsounds Member

Welcome to the infirmary... Daddy's jonesin' for a sustain block!

9. bvmjethead

bvmjethead Member

I say keep the one with the double cutaway!

:D

10. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Since we know you're a Les Paul nut as well - how do these compare in tone and playability to the various Pauls you've burned through ???

Thanks ~
    Steve E

11. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Hey Steve-

Not sure I'd say any of these necessarily replace an LP, but could (same genre). The 94 (top) one is proabably closest...more woody and open, while the 93 (bottom) is a just a *bit* more smooth, tamed, and compressed sounding. The 83 has its own thing going on with that string-through sustain block & lightweight body...actually much unlike he others (thanks Chris!). Overall, I'd say these have a bit less in-the-face punch than a Lester, but they can certianly cover that territory. The only LP I have right now is an Edwards Page, so take that into consideration.

As far as ergonomics & playability, I think I'm more comfortable on these that any Paul I've had. Of course, YMMV. :)

12. martie6621

martie6621 Silver Supporting Member

..took you long enuf to come around:) :) ...Sell me that '83...Be-yoch, I'm Rick James...

13. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Hamers are amazing guitars. I just sold a Special FM because I HAVE to have a '61 RI LP/SG Custom, but that Hamer really kicked!!! I've owned plenty of boutique stuff before and that Hamer Special just delivered on feel, tone, looks... I have no doubt in my mind jspax7 will be enjoying mine :)

14. potentate

potentate Member

That's a nice hat-trick.

15. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Well sheeeeit man, I just joined the club too :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/HAMER-STUDIO-USA-59-BURST-matchbook-flame-killer_W0QQitemZ7389963968QQcategoryZ33042QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think I done did o.k. too....I've been looking at these for awhile, and if this turns out to be as clean as described, I'm in. :AOK

Pics and review next week :dude

Steve E

16. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Congrats Steve...I was eyeing that one too. Nice top! Hope you dig it.
    Greg

17. K-man

K-man Member

Hamer's are the best. I can't believe the quality you get with such a reasonable price. Fender and Gibson should be ashamed with what they charge.

I have a Newport Pro with a solid carved spruce top, grained binding, gorgeous tobacco sunburst finish, real mother of pearl trapezoid inlays, bone nut, schaller tuners, etc., all for around $1800???? You gotta be kidding me. I can't find a single flaw on the guitar and it plays like a dream.

18. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

yo..
    K-man
    hmm
    you ride mtbs?

19. hitchcockblonde

hitchcockblonde Member

Yeah, they're kinda cult-ish guitars but in a good way. A lot of models, so there's no Hamer "feel" or sound, but they use really good wood and just feel solid. I happen to really like the specialty they've settled into after years of making everything from pointy guitars to Tele copies... the double-cut Junior-ish thing is really comfy for me, though I like the more modern ones with the big necks. Ex bass player that I am, I like some chunk in my left palm.

20. K-man

K-man Member

???