Hamer question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gasp100, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Simple... is this a good deal or not? I really dig the look of this guitar. But, if I want a nice gold top of KNOWN quality I would normally try and hunt down another Reverend Charger 290. I do like to shake things up a bit and I've heard good things about Hamer, but I don't know enough about the models to look for (I also don't have $1K to "take a chance" on one). Thoughts?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...7879&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab=Watching

2. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

3. Gasp100

So your recommendation is to stay away from Hamer unless it's USA made? I've been pretty happey with MIK Reverend, I guess it's not the same deal with Hamer? Hamer noob, just asking.

4. Stratofuzz

Stratofuzz Supporting Member

Right you are sir!

Look around on 'Bay for USA model for about $500-$700. A used USA Hamer is an incredible value.

5. Gasp100

Thanks! You have saved me TIME AND MONEY!!! (love this place)
    :dude
    I do dig the Gold Tops though... most of the USA's I have seen (not many) have been flamey whatever's :messedup

6. supar6

supar6 Member

Hey man - I wouldn't say stay away from Korean Hamers but the build quality between the two in my opinion is definitely anything but subtle. I can't say that I've owned a MIK Hamer but I can say that I've played on over 20 of them at my local guitar shop. They carried both MIK and MIA Hamers and my experiences with them is pretty simple.

MIK - come shipped in a pretty crappy box, need some work to get action and playability in good working order and 2 out of 5 should have probably been sent back. But the rest were not bad for the $$$.

MIA - comes very well packaged, is literally in tune and set up VERY well right out of the box. When I helped the manager pull all of them out and literally of the 5 that came in that day ALL of them were ready to go and even in perfect tune. I was amazed.

Now - I know GASP won't take this step but for anyone reading this post please don't think I'm suggesting that all MIK Hamers are crap and not worth it. I'm just trying to offer my opinion for the purposes of helping GASP with my simple experiences.

All in all man - for the money... a MIA Hamer is a REALLY good deal and really they just are not that much more in price when bought used for the value you'll get out of them.

7. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

I'm sure that those guitars are just fine for the price but you mentioned "$1K to "take a chance" on one" which made it look like you thought it was a USA made one.

Like others have said.. If you wait and watch you'll find a US made one for a great deal and if you buy it right you should be able to sell it and get your money back if it's not for you later..

Jeff

8. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

The import Hamers aren't all bad guitars - the older MIK versions are a little better than some of the new imports, but none are on par with the US-made instruments. I wouldn't take a gamble on paying $380 for one, especially from a "0" feedback seller and, as Jeff points out above, there are plenty of others available.

Check with your local dealer to see if they have that model in stock so you can try before you buy. If you don't have a local dealer, check the Hamer site and try to find one near you. Of the eBay listings from dealers, all appear to be reputable.

Good luck!

9. Gasp100

Thanks man! We think along the same lines. I can definitely hold out for used/older USA's. I'm a huge fan of Reverends (used USA's KILL, I personally really like new MIK's) and used USA G&L's for sure. I just didn't know if new Hamer MIK's are up to par with something like a new MIK Reverend. But, if they are anything like used USA G&L's than patience is key and I will wait for my turn ;)

10. supar6

supar6 Member

Amen brother. You just said the word of the day... err.... year.... err... lifetime for me. PATIENCE. I personally have ZERO and you just inspired me... even if only for a little bit. Ok - inspiration gone. I'm off to by an LP R4. :)

11. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

Supar6 basically hit it on the head. The Imports are decent but tend to need some work to get them into really nice playing shape (and I really enjoy my SATF and SATQ but did a bit of work on them and enjoyed the process and the results).

I got my SATF for $250.00 with a new TKL case, so I really paid around $150.00 for the guitar alone (and I needed another hard shell case).

If you can hold out for a used USA Hamer at around $500.00 do it. $380.00 for a new import is too close in price for a possible used USA model.

12. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Check out davesguitar.com for some great deals on USA Hamers. He has an all-mahogany 03 Monaco Elite at $695 right now. The '96 Artist at $1150 is a good deal too.