Hamer Special/Korina Special Junior/Artist, players/owners,talk me into/out of it!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by riffpowers, May 22, 2006.

1. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I'm sick of being disappointed with Gibson's poor catalog of junior style guitars, I'm selling my Gibsonb R4 and I reckon I'm gonna buy a hamer instead.
    I'm looking at trying to get one 2nd hand, wether thats in the uK or USA, I'll have to see what turns up.
    The models I'm looking at are the special korina junior, the special and maybe the artist.
    So owners, players, tell em about them and halp me make my mind up!!

2. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I haven't played the korina models, but have played a stock special. The guitar itself is very nice, but I wasn't fond of the overwound Duncan pickups. YMMV...

3. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

A friend of mine has a Hamer P-90 Goldtop Monaco that sounds fabulous. I had the humbucker version of the Artist Mahogany and it was one of the best sounding guitars I've owned. I sold it because I prefer a single cutaway but now I think I should have kept it. Find the right model Hamer for you and you won't be disappointed. Like you, I'm kind of checking out the Hamer korina specials and artists. Willcutts has some gorgeous korina Hamers on their site.

4. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I fought with those overwound Duncans for more than 10 years in my P-90 Special. Loved the guitar, and loved the way it sounded on *some* amps, but it was extremely finicky. After getting my soldering chops to a point that was no longer embarrassing, I put some Lollars in a few months ago. Talk about a revelation! I've fallen in love with the guitar all over again -- in fact, it's more toneful & versatile than ever.

If you do pick up an older Special, be on the look out for "Hameritis," when the finish on the neck delaminates. Usually, as I understand it, it happens near the nut, although mine has a pretty bad case near the neck/body joint.

The only other caveat -- the jacks have a tendency to lose their "grab" after a while. Annoying, but easily reparable.

5. Raymund

Raymund Member

Sorry, canĀ“t talk you out as I own some Hamers such as a Artist Custom Quilt which is quite a different animal than a Special: somewhere in between a Les Paul and a 335, very versatile from Jazz to Blues to Metal, very open three-dimensional sounding.
    I was always looking for a Hamer P-90 Special, unfortunately those available had thin necks and I prefer chunkier ones. And what did I find: a 96 Gibby Les Paul Special with bound neck and Lollar P-90s and an incredible tone !

Anyhow, I have never played a Hamer with bad tone !

97 Hamer Artist Custom Quilt

[​IMG]

6. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

Oh yeah, that is the other thing.

The newer Hamers have a chunkier neck than the older ones but it seems to me that they have a little narrower fretboard than my PRS wide-fat. But they have excellent playability if that isn't a problem for you.

7. conrad

conrad Member

Don't get one, you'll have to get another one and another one and another one ect... and you'll end up like me with 14 Hamers.

8. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I have a Hamer Special with a wraparound bridge and it's awesome! The majority of people don't like the stock Seymour Duncan pickups, but I think they're great. And anyway, they're so cheap on the used market, you won't be spending too much even if you decide to replace the pickups.

-Austin

9. HeeBGB

HeeBGB Member

I also have a Hamer Special in TV yellow I have had for more than 10 years. As has already been said I was not happy with the Duncan PUP's. For the most part my Hamer sat in the case. UNTIL I put a set of Lollars in it. Now it's the first guitar I grab. I do like a chunkier neck but for some reason the Hamer is very comfortable for me. The early 90's Specials are relatively cheap for guitars of their quality. If you are apprehensive I would start there with a used one. Probably about $500 and another $180 for Lollars or Wolftones and you've got a GREAT guitar!​

10. straightblues

straightblues Member

I have a Hamer Special, a Hamer Jr. (BCR special run), an Eclipse (wrap tail with mini-humbuckers), and an Artist. I have also played the Hamer Korina Jr. on several occasions.

The Hamers come with a wide variety of neck carves. If you are patient, you can find the one you are looking for.

As far as pickups go, they use Seymour Duncans and they tend to be the hotter varieties. I don't like Duncans, with the exception of the Anitiquities.

The Hamer guitar are very consistant. I would buy them over the net without hesitation.

The Hameritus that you hear about and see is just a cosmetic issue. Don't worry about it.

Since I have all of the guitars you are intersted in, let me know if you have any specific questions about each of the models. I have them all and love them all. They all get plenty of playing time.

11. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

As a new (used) Hamer owner ('00 Studio) I can tell you that you will not regret picking one up. I don't see ever selling mine. It took me about a dozen guitars before I finally tried a Hamer. It's "the one".

12. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I've PM'd you asking for some Hamer advice

13. Mrgearguy

Mrgearguy Member

Good luck finding one used, most people hold on to that model for obvious reasons. I've only played one recently and it was super-resonant. The finish delamination that people call Hameritis is actually something that happens to a lot of guitars including PRS and gibson. It's superficial and nothing to worry about.

I'd personally like to get my hands on this:

XTACY BABY!

[​IMG]

14. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Supporting Member

awesome guitars. I sold mine a while ago but I regret it. Big fat neck, beautiful simple guitar
    [​IMG]

15. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I understood the delamination is cosmetic. It just looks rather unpleasant, and I'm a mite overprotective of the guitar. It was my first "good" guitar, and I love it so.

Those Ecstacies & Special K's are just...mmmm.:drool

16. Blauserk

Blauserk Silver Supporting Member

I have a '99 Artist Korina and it's one of the best guitars I've ever played. Literally everyone who has touched the guitar has volunteered that it's a "special" git after only a little bit of noodling on it. It sounds great even with the stock ceramic-magnet Duncan P90s on it--I just turn the volume down to about 5 to compensate for them being a bit too over-hot.

17. Bajan

Bajan Member

Mine is an '01 Artist Korina HB and I love this guitar. The tone, feel, weight, everything is just fantastic. This one used to belong to our very own Scott Peterson, but now she is mine, and will stay that way.

Shane

[​IMG]

18. Mrgearguy

Mrgearguy Member

OK... it's been a month. What happened?

Gearguy

19. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

Sold the R4, soon as the cheque clears I'm buying a hamer korina special.

20. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

I have a Newport Pro Spruce(jazzburst) and a Mahogany Special (cherry), that both kick booty. Flawless construction, and they sound and play great. I may through in a Wolfetone or Lollar P90 eventually, but so far I'm happy with the stock Duncan.