Hamer USA Opinions

ahltarocka

Silver Supporting Member
Keep hearing great things about these guitars, especially pre 1994 Studio, Specials etc. Very pricey on the market. Never owned one. Are they as great as people say they are? and why weren't they more popular?

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
They are indeed great guitars. Suffer from a bit of headstock dive, which is why I moved on from them. But for the money, custom shop quality.

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
My favorite brand. And I prefer the late 90's an onward models for their bigger necks. People seem to be asking ridiculous prices for them used nowadays, but I would guess that what they actually sell for is a different story. I've bought several for what I would consider to be reasonable prices, especially when you compare them to other guitars out there with similar specs.
-
Austin

Tommy Biggs

Gold Supporting Member
I gotta be honest, I'm puzzled by the 'high price' comments - I've seen even the checkerboard Sustain Block Studios for under $1,000, and early 90's P-90 Specials for under 600, just sitting there - no action at all on the Bay, and on CL too.
Still really cheap for very well built guitars.

padavis

I agree with Tommy... Hamer USA is probably still one of the best sleeper options out there... I dont know what people expect, $250 USA stuff?

I gotta be honest, I'm puzzled by the 'high price' comments - I've seen even the checkerboard Sustain Block Studios for under $1,000, and early 90's P-90 Specials for under 600, just sitting there - no action at all on the Bay, and on CL too.
Still really cheap for very well built guitars.
This. I have an early 90's Special (see default pic) I picked up 15 years ago for $450. A steal.

Tommy Biggs

Gold Supporting Member
This. I have an early 90's Special (see default pic) I picked up 15 years ago for $450. A steal.
When you see what you get new for $4-500, these are unbelievable bargains.

I agree with Tommy... Hamer USA is probably still one of the best sleeper options out there... I dont know what people expect, $250 USA stuff?
I guess when they started the Slammer series the old USA Hamer rep took a hit.
But I'm with you guys, if you want a super deal on a non Gibson dual HB or P-90 guitar, it pays to look at the old Hamers.

G Man

I have a couple of great Hamers and have had many others. They have all been remarkable guitars and have only moved on as a result of unimpeded GAS. You really can't go wrong with a US Hamer. The only complaint I regularly hear is that some people are just not comfortable with the 14" radius fretboards.

guitarnut_1

The only complaint I regularly hear is that some people are just not comfortable with the 14" radius fretboards.
I abs. LOVE the 14" radius, great for bending and VERY easy to play. I love Hamers, my Nr1 Brand, unbelievable quality at ridiculous prices. I don't see prices having increased the least over the last 10 years ever since I started playing Hamers.

IMHO Hamer made the biggest mistake producing parallel in Asia under the same name (slammer or whatever crap that was....) They killed themselves with this ****** production line, which weren't Hamers at all. Big mistake! They should've produced under a different name like Gibson does with Epiphone.

lespaulreedsmith

Silver Supporting Member
I have owned 3 or 4 USA models (2 Californian's, Mirage, Studio) and the USA models are top notch build-wise and sound-wise.
I couldn't get along with the neck carves on them and the Studio had the pickup selector switch in a funky place and I ended up not keeping any of them but the quality of the guitar and the components was up there with the best imho...

stratamania

I've owned two, excellent guitars.

The first I bought in 1985, a black Blitz with Floyd Rose. I no longer have it unfortunately. It was built to order. ( edit the blitz was basically an Explorer type shape.)

The second was a Hamer Chapparal Custom with Boomerang inlays bought around 88/89, which was a pearl white. I had it re fretted a year or so ago with SS frets and pleked. Apart from that it's pretty much stock, OBL pickups and all black hardware including a Floyd. It's a set neck mahogany superstrat but with years of real wear and tear. I can't make my mind up whether to refinish it or not. Not sure if I would sell it.

Anyway if you can find a Hamer USA to your liking theyre really great guitars.

Neither suffer (ed ) headstock dive.

Last edited:

mjtripper

Silver Supporting Member
I have a few and they are great guitars. My main player is a newport custom be. Some do have neck dive but what I did to fix that is replace the metal tuner buttons with lightweight perloid (the white plastic looking ones) and the problem is solved.

fitz

I have a 59 Burst Hamer Artist that I bought new in 1995 when the model was first released. I will never sell this guitar. Great finish, semi-hollow chambered body, Duncan Seth Lover pickups great tone. They really paid attention to detail on this guitar such as a tone control that really works due to a special taper pot, metal inserts for the screws, excellent Schaller tuners and premium wood. I was truly bummed when Fender killed them off. This guitar is the one i judge others against.

stratamania

I couldn't say on the thinner necks as I've not played one made after the 80s. But both of the ones I mentioned had necks of a similar thickness to a Strat. Not wizard necks but certainly not thick either.

jimpridx

Silver Supporting Member
Great guitars! I own three and they're all keepers. It seems to me that some models have increased in price since Hamer officially closed up shop in 2013. For the most part, though, many can still be found at bargain prices.

About the neck dive question, I have yet to play one that had this issue. The only issue I've ever encountered was the infamous "Hameritis" condition, but that never really bothered me much at all.

Mr. Mukuzi O

my avatar is my 82 special, it`s superb. the action can get stupidly low, like Stienberger low. super easy to play, no neck dive, it just hangs on a strap perfectly. its getting a bit fragile in its old age, I was wearing my Addidas Track pants the other day, playing it in my lap and the plastic pants marked the finish. its an easy buff out but I have to take care of her. one piece top and back. not many around like her
Its like a supercharged old lady, some dame from the 50`s who still looks killer.

I have a Californian that I love also, the calli is like the school bully who became a cop, never had a beat down, delivers smashing blows to all who play false metal ;)
Joey would be proud

Trending Topics