Hamer USA studio doublecut?????

67mike

I am interested in these....found one for sale.....looks MINT.....What are they like and what do they fetch for $$$$$$

This one os a nice AA Flames amber top.

FattMetheny

Great guitars but very slim necks. Usually sell for $800 used give or take $50.
Actually that's not correct. The necks got progressively fatter in the late 1990s. By the early 2000s, the necks were similar to the '59 Les Paul dimensions. Some people say the necks got too fat.

FattMetheny

I am interested in these....found one for sale.....looks MINT.....What are they like and what do they fetch for $$$$$$

This one os a nice AA Flames amber top.
Since Hamer went out of business about a year ago, the price of used Hamers has gone up a bit. I'd love a Hamer Custom Studio, in natural. They tend to fetch about $1500.

Having said that, ever see a double cutaway Les Paul from the late 90s early 2000s ? About the same guitar, and they have a LONG NECK TENON.

Lewguitar

Beautiful looking guitars. I've owned a few of those.

Always felt that the tone could have been more focused and I don't know why it isn't. I like the sound of my PRS Custom 22 more.

Maybe it's the way the neck is joined to the body on the Hamer? Short tenon? In any case the Hamer doesn't equal the PRS in terms of tone...not for me anyway.

Also, I don't care for the thick finish that Hamer used on many of those guitars...it often turns white in the inside corners almost like it's come unattached or something.

67mike

I've owned a few of those. Always felt that the tone could have been more focused and don't know why it isn't. I like my PRS Custom 22 more. Maybe it's the way the neck is joined to the body? Short tenon?

Also, I don't care for the thick finish that Hamer used on many of those guitars...it turns white in the inside corners almost like it's come unattached or something.

Hmmmmmm.

arniez

Silver Supporting Member
Short tenon vs long tenon with Hamer is a red herring. The contact area of the neck to the body of the Hamer has a larger surface area and better joinery. Check out the construction videos on you tube. The double cut body style and body thickness has more to do with the tonal differences IMO
ArnieZ

FattMetheny

Short tenon vs long tenon with Hamer is a red herring. The contact area of the neck to the body of the Hamer has a larger surface area and better joinery. Check out the construction videos on you tube. The double cut body style and body thickness has more to do with the tonal differences IMO
ArnieZ
It was a long and wide tenon.

The DC Les Paul is very similar in construction. Given the "DC" aspect, there probably isn't as much lateral support, so they have to use a long tenon.

SGs have short tenons though, so what do I know?

Caretaker

Platinum Supporting Member
I`ve played a LOT of Hamers, however I don`t pay attention to years.
I have never held a fat necked Hamer in my hands. That`s why I don`t care for them. Maybe I should play a few more.

FattMetheny

I`ve played a LOT of Hamers, however I don`t pay attention to years.
I have never held a fat necked Hamer in my hands. That`s why I don`t care for them. Maybe I should play a few more.
Try one from the early 2000s. They have fat necks. The 1980s and earlier 1990s had the skinny "shredder" necks of the hairband time frame.

One interesting aspect of Hamer necks, the 14" radius, as opposed to the typical Gibson 12".

I'd really like to see Hamer USA back in action, maybe keeping the product line to 3 or 4 guitars max. People need an alternative to Gibson.

Dashface

Hamer Studio Doublecuts are killer. I've played a few, always great. The one I used to have was never my favorite guitar, but it sure was the best one I've ever played.

serial

Hamer's finishes are anything but thick. Certainly thinner than PRS finishes. The 'milky white' that appeared on some 99s Hamers had little or nothing to do with thickness of finish.

The neck carve did get much more substantial after the move from Arlington Heights in 97, although they did get thicker after the early 90s.

Last edited:

dughaze

Hamer's finishes are anything but thick. Certainly thinner than PRS finishes. The 'milky white' that appeared on some 99s Hamers had little or nothing to do with thickness of finish.

The neck carve did get much more substantial after the move from Arlington Heights in 97, although they did get thicker after the early 90s.

Wow. Love the look....and the motherbucker bridge pickup. It sounded great in a Hamer Phantom I had from the 80's.

Beautiful guitar.

custom53

Better find one soon though.. Hamer is out of business so the ones out there are surely going to increase in price...

Trending Topics