Hamer Vector Korina V @ Wildwood Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by goodtone, Feb 13, 2006.

1. goodtone

goodtone Member

Curious to know how they soung compare to a Gibby ? Anyone play one recently ? They look great !

2. gregc

gregc Member

The Hamer, Korina Vectors are my favorite Vee. IMO, they out-do the custom shop Gibbies, and do it at a fraction of the price. Yea, I got mine!
    gregc

3. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

Impeccable build quality, flawless finish work, limited availability (collectibility factor) great tone, fabulous playability, first rate customer service and a bargain compared to G'sn.

Other than that, there's no good reason to get one.

Oh yeah, Steve at Wildwood is a Prince among men.

4. baj2k

baj2k Supporting Member

You forgot horrendous resale value. Hamer makes fantastic guitars but they are about as collectible as sand from Saudi Arabia. :)

If you ever plan on reselling it you'd be lucky to get 50 cents on the dollar on a new Hamer right out of the box. I'd shop around for a used one in mint condition, you'll likely get it for slightly more than 1/2 the new price. :eek:

Try the Hamer Fan Club:

http://www.hamerfanclub.com/forums/

5. gregc

gregc Member

Resale? The Hell with resale. I buy em to play em!
    gregc

6. Noah

Noah Supporting Member

How are the other vector series V's by hamer? I see they sell for very cheap. Are they any good?

7. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

You can get a new Hamer V for around $2350
    Used they sell from $1800-$2000.
    The rest of the Hamer line sucks for resale.

8. Mrgearguy

Mrgearguy Member

I've been doing this a long time. If you've been watching prices, you'll know that Hamer resale values have been climbing in the last year on many models. Some of the double cutaway guitars that used to sell for $350-$450 are now fetching $1200 and even as much as $1800! The early Standards are fetching $4000+ IF you can find one in original shape with original pickups. They're still a bargain compared to a lot of high-end new guitars.

This is a good time to get on board the "vintage" hamer train. Don't forget that a 1959 Les Paul was worth 1/2 its retail when they were 10 years old. I bought my first '62 strat for $110 in 1967.

Every collectible instrument goes through this phase. I say, buy now and enjoy a great axe for less money, and gloat at the value later.

Gearguy

9. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Member

The Hamer Vector is better than the Gibson V any day of the week. IMO. I've had both, it's not even close. Resale is another thing.

10. saurudi

saurudi Member

How would the Hamer Vector Korina compare to my Gibson Les Paul Standard
    Man, i ´m still looking for one but i live in Europe and they are hard to come by.

11. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

This is no lie. The eBay deals are scarce lately. I wound up buying new because I got x-actly what I wanted.

12. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

I'm with the gearguy on this. Most of the now-coveted axes went through a "down" period resale wise. But I'd put money on a guitar with Hamer's history, build quality and limited number... to increase in value over time. But if you don't smell a bargain, that's your loss not mine.

In the meantime, just play 'em!
  13. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

As I've learned recently, Hamer resale value sucks. I lost a decent amount of money on my Special FM because people just don't realize how great they are. When I said it killed the Gibson Les Paul Standard I used to own, I wasn't lying. Hamer has been making quality guitars for over 25 years and people tend to overlook them or dismiss them as "cheap" guitars. This has been happening for a long time and I can't understand why, but I won't be shocked if they never become popular.

14. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Irresponsible sweeping generalization with no supportive data. Gibson makes a lot of levels of Vs. I'll put my Historic Korina V up against anything out there, including the finest vintage pieces. It's a very limited CS run from 2001, Korina w/burst finish, built to '59 specs. It resonates like no guitar I've ever played, has THE classic throaty growl Vs are so famous for, and kills on every striation of the tonal spectrum. And yes, it was a lot more $$ than any Hamer, and I do at least agree that Hamers are amazing guitars for their price, but I can all but guarantee that no Vs will out-V this one. AND, in general, the Gibson Historic Korina Vs are extraordinary instruments, albeit a bit pricey, and I doubt you'd make that comment if you played one of this level. So perhaps it would have been more accurate to say (as others have) that the Hamer is a superb value, period. AC

15. Merlin

Merlin Supporting Member

Man I'd love to try that Hamer V! Can anyone comment on the tone? I've never played any type of Korina guitar.

I have been watching Hamers a long time and had a T-51 that was terrific. I just picked up two near perfect, used studio customs at about 30% of list price. NOw that's a value!

16. Mrgearguy

Mrgearguy Member

You have just outlined a roadmap for success, but have come to the wrong conclusion.

Once again I will re-state:

"Don't forget that a 1959 Les Paul was worth 1/2 its retail when they were 10 years old. I bought my first '62 strat for $110 in 1967."

I'm sure there were guys lining up to ditch their 1959 Les Pauls at a loss in order to buy some new guitar in 1970... and bitching about the poor resale value.

If you don't understand this concept, that's why you'll always lose at the track instead of winning at the bank. It's not luck when it comes to investing in collectibles.

Gearguy

17. baj2k

baj2k Supporting Member

I think what most of us are talking about here is the resale value of a new Hamer during the "current lifespan of the buyer". If you bought any MIA Strat or Gibson today, the resale now, will be significantly better than any Hamer.

I don't care how much the Hamer may be worth when I'm dead in 40 or 50 years. If you buy and sell guitars as often as I do, current resale is not the only factor I consider but it's a huge one. I would never ever buy a new Hamer again, learned my lesson there. But that being said I would probably never buy any new guitar again for that matter. There are thousands of great guitars out there priced to sell, you just have to know what you want, where to look, and what it's worth on both the "buying" and "reselling" side.

I stand by my original statement. Hamer makes one of the best guitars out there. I love them and I'm sure I'll buy used one someday. But if you're buying a guitar, and you're sure you wont be selling it in your lifetime then by all means get a new one, if not, get a used one or be prepared to lose ~40% out-of-the box on a new one.

18. baj2k

baj2k Supporting Member

This is a bad analogy. If I go to the track and bet on the winning horse I don't have to wait 40 or 50 years to get paid.
    :horse

Also, if you adjust for inflation almost every guitar ever made is a terrible "investment", unless you're Eric Clapton selling "Blackie" for $1M, or some other such guitar. The same amount of money "invested" in a traditional investment would have paid you substancially more.

Only problem is stocks and bonds don't look cool hanging on the wall...

19. RSRD

RSRD Member

I used my Hamer Korina Vector on this song. I think it sounded perfect:

1993 Limited run Hamer Korina Vector thru a Bogner Shiva and Mesa Tremoverb

They are incredible guitars. They weigh 6 pounds, feel as smooth as butter, resonate so nicely unplugged, rip when pumped into the right amp. Probably the best guitar I've ever owned.

Ironically I may have to sell mine do to the growing expense of recording.

Thomas

20. Two-Octave

Two-Octave Member

I have one too. Brilliant.