hamer vs fender

neastguy

Silver Supporting Member
if you had the choice, t-51 vs fender 52 RI... I can go to the local store and try a 52ri but probably wont be able to play a t-51 in person.....what would you pick? for those who have played both....thanks...

HHB

the necks are all over on the Hamer, I had a big neck rosewoodboard alder T-51 that was great , just not the total tele tone IMO due to the wilkie bridge , also the flat radius on the Hamer may or may not agree w/ you. Big frets are a plus on the Hamer and sperzels, stock duncans, nice guitars. The 52 reissues are great , but have smaller frets , hard to say which is nicer, I like the ASAT classic myself in this catagory but the fender is a Fender if ya know what I mean

Hamer95USA

Hey neastguy,

This is the guitar you want:

The T-51!! Everything that a Telecaster should have or aspire to be.

Guitar George

Boomdoggy

Silver Supporting Member
I was really broke a couple of years ago and missed out on a T-51 for around $400.00.It was a great guitar.

alderbody

i would go for the real thing...

i just hate those "wanna-be-a-better-fender" guitars.

[size=1/2]just my opinion. no offence intended.[/size]

Unburst

If you want a real Tele tone, you have to have a real Tele bridge.

Not a qualititive decision, it's all down to design, Hamer makes a great guitar but the Tele's bridge is the heart of it's tone.

bek

Or the very similar but more rare Washburn Laredo:

Peghead is even shaped like the Hamer, and it uses the Wilk bridge (for better or worse), but it also is routed for a middle pickup (a la Nashville). No lockers, fabulous neck and smooooth big frets, abalone dots a nice touch.

conrad

I would try the T-51, they are becoming hard to find and prices are rising up to the 700 $ and more range.
You can always find Fender Teles.

these are mine (Hamers):

one with T. Anderson pickups
one with Fishman bridge
one stock

Phil M

Shapeshifting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by bek
Or the very similar but more rare Washburn Laredo:

Peghead is even shaped like the Hamer, and it uses the Wilk bridge (for better or worse), but it also is routed for a middle pickup (a la Nashville). No lockers, fabulous neck and smooooth big frets, abalone dots a nice touch.
Is that a cheap guitar??? Back around '93 I bought a TV Yellow Washburn Tele copy for a little over $250 (new). I always thought it was a really nice feeling guitar, for ANY money, but especially for a cheapie. In fact I still have it somewhere, but the electronics did not hold up well.

bek

NOT a cheap instrument, quality made in Chicago. SD Broadcaster pickup set and perfectly smooth and quiet controls. Four hundred dollars would be a real good deal for one of these in good shape.

A

amstaf

T51 All the way. I had the use of a fender r/i, and there was no comparison. Hamer has a great finish.

Phil M

Shapeshifting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by bek
NOT a cheap instrument, quality made in Chicago. SD Broadcaster pickup set and perfectly smooth and quiet controls. Four hundred dollars would be a real good deal for one of these in good shape.
I wonder if mine was an overseas version then. I'm sure the store wouldn't have sold it for $250. I need to dig that out check it. I don't remember it saying whether it was US made or not.

Trending Topics