Hamer vs. Gibson

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by conrad, Aug 5, 2006.

1. conrad

conrad Member

2. danj

danj Supporting Member

Why, they would be shut down.
    Corporate lawyers, big money, etc, so on, so forth.

3. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

Gee. I don't know, guess it depends on who did it first...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Luke

Luke Senior Member

It does not surprise me at all. A few years ago, Cheap Trick's bassist Tom Petersson switched over to Chandler Guitars, from his long standing relationship with Hamer. Instead of being gracious when asked why, he went into a tirade ridiculing Hamer and their products.

What Tom failed to realize, it was the invention of the 12 string bass that gave him the notoriety he enjoyed. Let's face facts, Tom Petersson is not the second coming of Jaco or Charlie Mingus, he is an adequate bass player in a simplistic rock band. Had Hamer not invested the time and effort into making the 12 string bass a reality, no one would have ever heard of Petersson, that bass, not his playing is what made him quasi-famous.

5. conrad

conrad Member

It seems the guitar IS the Hamer, but they putted Gibson stickers over the Hamer logo.

6. tbp0701

tbp0701 Member

I think it was Ali who said something like, you either have to better than everyone else or give them a show. The problem comes when the show option works out but you forget that you're not better than everyone else. (I don't think Ali ever forgot).

danj: Not to detract from the thread, but I'm sure Kaman (Hamer's parent) would have no problem out-lawyering Gibson; they could even be airlifted in by the company's helicopters. According to the estimates I just looked up, Gibson made $185 million in 2004 (last reporting, and it's private, so it doesn't have to accurately report). But Kaman gets about $1.1 billion a year.

7. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

Those logos are stickrs that Gibson made Cheap Trick put on their guitars for a company party. I think it's pretty funny myself. Almost everybody knows that those are Hamer guitars.

By the way, this thread is on about a dozen BBS so far... Great advertising for Hamer, way to go Gibson!

8. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

didn't hamer copy all kinds of gibson explorer and v models decades ago?

so, nothing i guess?

9. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

I thought I was seeing things when I looked at the headstock. Gibson wishes they could sticker all their guitars like that and sell 'em. OK, it's not hate. I own and enjoy Gibson guitars. I own and enjoy Hamer guitars. The difference I believe is that Hamer quality control is more stringent and consistent. Their build detail is on a higher plane. Their...nevermind, it's still not hate, I have some good Gibby's.

10. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

11. danj

danj Supporting Member

tbp0701: wow. i had no idea that hamer had such a strong backing parent company. so much for "the little guy" huh?

12. tbp0701

tbp0701 Member

danj: Yeah, it's odd how many people seem to perceive Hamer as being the little guy compared to Gibson and others; maybe it can be thought of as a kid with an enormous, short-tempered pet gorilla close behind. If you wondered why Gibson never went after Hamer like it did with PRS, that's probably why.

13. RSRelic

RSRelic Member

I have to say that I think you have that the backward Luke. I was a Cheap Trick fan in the day, and there was no 12 string bass before Tom asked Hamer to make one, and it was Tom and Rick that put a young Hamer on the map not the other way around. Don't get me wrong I'm a huge Hamer fan and hate the hell out of seeing Gibson stickers on that guitar, but you have no idea what the whole story was between Tom and Hamer. I can say this for sure Tom is one of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet and a good friend of every one here at RS, so I had to chime in with my two cents. Oh and if you think Toms such an adequate bassest you should try to play a twelve string bass all night and see how you hold up:D

Roy

14. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

So can we start a rumor that Gibson is buying Hamer?

Can we, please, please?

:crazyguy

:eek:

Ok, maybe not. We need companies like Hamer to keep the guys at Gibson on their toes. If it wasn't for companies like PRS and Hamer our Gibbies could have even more problems.

;)

15. emjee

emjee Supporting Member

If ANYONE has any doubts which is the better made axe I implore you to send for Hamers free DVD "Building an American legend". For the starting player to the even most meticulous builder, many well known and not so well known things are included about building one of the most underrated guitars made in the U.S. Get one now!

Mg

16. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

It seems simple to me that gibson wanted only gibson products on stage. Putting stickers on those guitars allowed nielsen to do his regular show without pissing off the host. He's obviously got a sense of humor and has a lot of custom Gibsons to boot.

As for Hamer suing Gibson, why bother? They are happily building guitars that are recognized as one of the best and are back ordered like crazy because they refuse to go mass production. I've been to the Hamer shop and it is Jol Dantzig and 10 guys making guitars just like that DVD movie shows. If they are owned by another company it doesn't matter or show at the shop level. It also didn't look like some high-tech lab, just an old-school hands on workshop. Nice and organized, but not what I'd call corporate.

Also, They borrowed the gibson explorer design at a time when Gibson no longer made them. Hamer was already being sold around the world and being endorsed by people like jethro tull and bad company before cheap trick even had a record deal. I remeber seeing Hamers in magazines when cheap trick was still playing in bars.

17. phoenix

phoenix Member

...plus the fact that Hamer has had an agreement "Since the beginning" to do the Explorer and V guitars, and the first dozen or so Hamers had PAF's that they gave Jol at the Gibson factory...

18. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

How about Kaman buying Gibson?

19. whitehall

whitehall Member

Being a hamer ,you still couldn't give it away on ebay.

20. RSRelic

RSRelic Member

If you go to Hamers site and look at the history section you will see the first Standard ever was built for Rick Nielsen (he also has one of the first Sunbursts) and they credit him with bing the person who asked them to start building guitars at a point when they were just selling vintage guitars and doing repairs and in fact placed the first order with them.