Hamer vs LP

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by auburn-grad, Jan 21, 2006.

1. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

I would like to take an informal poll....

I have an '04 LP Classic and an '03 Hamer Custom Studio.....unfortunately, some recent financial set-backs may force me to part with one of these (and I love them both). The LP has a very thick smooth sound whereas the Hamer quality is much more refined.

Because of the quality and feel of the Hamer, I am 'leaning' towards selling the LP and keeping the Hamer as my humbucker guitar.

Has anyone else switched from LPs to Hamers?....Did you have regrets?...Did you eventually switch back?

Let me know your thoughts/suggestions/experiences.

Thanks.

2. ricoh

ricoh Member

I sold my 1986 LP pre-historic..... beautiful flame top and all..............no regrets and I had it for almost 20 yrs.
    This is my solid body HB guitar.................nice fat neck
    and it plays and sounds great too. It has more sustain and articulation
    than the LP. The high frets are easier to reach and sound sweeter than the LP. I still love the way a LP flametop looks!!!!

[​IMG]

This one looks nice too......................

Rico

3. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Beauty Hamer there. I had a nice US Hamer much like (though not as pretty) the one above and ended up getting rid of it just because I couldn't get used to the thing. Don't know whether it was the body shape or the frets or the wider, thinner, flatter neck that didn't jive with me but regardless I sold it and took a big 'ole hit to the wallet.

Although the quality of the US Hamers are great, remember that the used market doesn't smile on them. Although the Custom Studio is a fine guitar, it won't fetch $12-1400 (depending on condition) like the Classic will. Ebay will probably net you $650-850 for the Hamer depending on condition and flame.

4. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

..wow....thats a sweet axe......

..mine is similar to that, but mine has the open/naked pups and the flame is slightly different....

..as for the resale, thats probably what worries me the most...however, since I bought it used (from a fellow gear-pager), hopefully most of the depreciation has already been taken

thanks for the replies...

5. ricoh

ricoh Member

Yeah....I got this one used though it was like new...It is a Triple Threat
    Braz RW...Tone Pros Bridge and TP.... NKL HDW and a big fat one piece neck.

Rico

6. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Yeah, you outta ditch that Hamer...how much ya want for it?!

7. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

...everything can be bought for a price....

..how much money do you have?

8. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

I had a beautiful Hamer Standard, it was a really nice guitar. But in my case, I always to back to Les Paul, Strat. That's just me, I've never missed the Hamer but I would miss my Paul if it was gone. Guess ultimately it's go with yer gut bro.

9. kselbee

kselbee Member

I've got a Les Paul, PRS SCT, Hamer Custom Studio and some others, but honestly, the Hamer gets most of the attention.

10. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

I grew up with Gibsons mainly, and a few Fenders (but I'm basically a gibby guy) over the years I've had other brands: I've had three Hamers, numerous Gibsons, circa '80's PRSi, TomAndersons, blah blah blah; and as far as the mahogany body/maple cap/mahogany neck guitars: I came back kicking and screaming mind you, to Gibson Historics. Try as I might, I couldn't get what I wanted to hear out of the rest of similarly constructed guitars (like a lester). That being said, my Tokai NES-120 severely slams every Gibby 335 I've played in all areas; and bests my '58 historic LP by a large margin, in terms of overall build quality.

The Hamers are great guitars, but are missing something to my ears, I'm sad to say. Having recently sold my last Hamer (a gorgeous '95 StandardCustom) I can't say I miss them at all.

your mileage may vary.

11. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

hamer or Lp Classic ?

lose that LP Classic.

jimmy

12. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

Craftmanship is far more consistent at Hamer than Gibson. Too bad for Gibson. I have been a Hamer fan exclusively for years. Owned a few LP's and have one now, nothing else sounds like an LP but the Hamers are a class act with a tone and feel all their own. Stellar guitars.

13. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Member

My Les Paul search led me to my Hamer & my PRS.

But that's just me...

14. HHB

HHB Member

the Hamer is the superior guitar to a LP classic IMO

15. leper messiah

leper messiah Member

Yeah, but look at it from the flipside...

People who prefer Hamers can go on ebay and pick up a pretty decent used guitar for a very reasonable price. :)

16. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Five minutes after I typed that I was on EBAY thinking the same thing...:D

17. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

I'm a big Gibson fan, but an LP Classic might not come up the winner verses a Hamer Studio Custom in my collection. If that Hamer was one of the triple threats then even more so. That Classic would have to be darn special and that Hamer rather lame for the Classic to win.

Now, make that LP an Historic R7, R8 or even an R9. The LP would have the advantage.

In the end only you can determine which guitar better serves your needs and desires.

Good Luck

:p

18. ricoh

ricoh Member

How true Blue!!!!

19. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

I think BlueDawg said it best.....

The Classic is a good guitar, but its not a R7, R8, or R9.

As for the Hamer Custom Studio, the quality/feel and the awesome fat neck are going to win this particular battle...it doesnt hurt that I also put some WCR Goodwoods in it so that the tone is awesome.

That said, I know that some time in the near future, I will be getting another (probably a historic) LP. There is something to be said for the mojo that an LP brings...ya know?

Anyway......does anyone want to buy an 04 LP Classic?......

I will be posting it soon on another thread.

Thanks to everyone that responded.

20. discountsounds

discountsounds Member

Amen! I'll probably never be able to buy a new Hamer again, but hopefully I'll always be able to add to my Hamer collection from the very reasonable used market. I'm jonesin' for a Monaco Superpro... Keep the Hamer!!!