Hamer

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by nemp, Dec 29, 2005.

1. nemp

nemp Member

I'm really jonsing for a Hamer but i prefer a thicker neck. What yrs did Hamer start making the necks fatter? what yrs should I stay away from?

2. arniez

arniez Supporting Member

In general mid 90's necks were medium and around 2000 they started moving to the chunkier vintage profile. Prior to that there were really no trends just instrument specific. Some were really thin and some were bigger depending on model year etc.
    ArnieZ

3. kselbee

kselbee Member

My Hamer '05 Studio Custom has about the same neck size as my LP Studio (which is not real thick but I wouldn't call it thin).

4. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

The Artist series also tend to have a chunkier neck that the standard vintage carve. My Korina Artist P90 has just about the perfect neck for me.

5. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

It's also worth noting that if you order new, you can get whatever neck size you want. (you probably knew that already, though....)

My latest Hamers all have massive necks-I don't really have to specify anymore, my dealer knows to order me a big neck carve automatically when I spec out a guitar.

6. nemp

nemp Member

thanks guys i was under the impession it was thin necks for the early 90s and then they went fat at some point. so mid ninties had some med profiles. I'll check those out. Any body got one for sale?:p

7. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

Generally, the necks are thinner pre '97 which is when Jol Dantzig came back to the company and started to turn things back to the way they started, ie more "vintage".

Since 2000 Hamer has adopted two neck carves "modern" and "vintage" so you can find either one depending upon how it was ordered. My understanding is that Hamer makes everything "vintage" carve (larger) unless ordered "modern" but maybe somebody knows differrent?

8. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

True, but they will also do custom neck carves for a small upcharge.

9. nemp

nemp Member

By "thinner" you mean compared to the 2000s? What neck carves can you compare the pre 97s to? I'm familiar with Fenders and PRSi

10. nemp

nemp Member

BTW how long has Hamer been doing the "dovetail" joint? Since the begining ?

11. pesocaster

pesocaster Member

I've been a Hamer Junky for a few years now... and from what I've seen... Pre 94 necks are realy on the thin side....in general of course..... seems they are rather "medium from 94 -98 or so... then thicker.... my 05 custom order has the Vintage profile... and it's very healthy... Hope that helps...

12. Imiss85

Imiss85 Member

Hamers are really great guitars. I've owned probably a dozen of them over the years. Their more recent stuff (last 4-5 years) is truly AMAZING, and second to nothing, Very good QC (no more of the friday afternoon pizza fingerprints). Seems you can get some very good deals used or on Ebay on the Monco's lately, which are very cool guitars.