Hammer On/Pull Off technique

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Lucidity, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Lucidity

Lucidity Active Member

Hi Guys

I really need to make my hammer on, and pull-off technique better. It simply sound too sloppy. Any good exercises for this specific purpose?

2. spacelord

spacelord Member

3. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

These are really great lessons to help highlight weaknesses in finger independance and strength.

I'm always aware of having problems with technique and these really show why and how to improve.

4. Prodigy

Prodigy Senior Member

Do the 6 minute trill a few times a day. Trill half steps between your 1st and 2nd finger for a minute to a metronome, trying to keep an even tempo and keep the volume of all the notes equal. Then, when the minute is up, start right away trilling between your 1st and 3rd for a minute, then 1st and 4th, then 2nd and 3rd, then 2nd and 4th, and finally between your 3rd and 4th fingers, which will probably provide you with the biggest challenge. If you feel any pain, STOP. Alternatively, you could do this without timing it by just trilling for a few seconds with each pair of fingers and then take it across all 6 strings.

5. stevel

stevel Member

Pick 1, hammer on to 2, 3, 4. Pick 4, pull off to 3, 2, 1. Repeat on every fret, every string, etc.

Then Pick 1, hammer to 2, 3, 4 ull off to 3, 2, 1 - that is 7 notes under 1 pick. Then do reverse (start with 4 and pull off).

I find the finger pairs exercises good as well obviously, but I think many people overlook hammering/pulling with this amount of notes, or this amount of fingers involved.

Good Luck,
    Steve

6. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

2nd and 3rd finger is killer. That is where I spaz out

7. Julia343

Julia343 Member

that finger combo for trills on the piano is a killer as well. The reason it's a killer? 2 uses the radial nerve, and 3 uses the ulnar nerve. I'm very fast with 2, not so good with 3.

8. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

My little finger is so weak and has very little control it's embarassing