1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Hammond AO-44 conversion praise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Footbutt, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

So a while back i bought several AO-44's (old Hammond organ reverb amps) off ebay for around $40 each. i looked up Paul Ruby's conversion that he did...
    ...and wow! 3 years later and i'm STILL in love with this one-knob, magical amp. is it sad that i can't find another amp that sounds this good? it's a clean machine (circa 12w) and boy does it handle pedals well.

if you guys are looking for a great studio amp or just a simple project with GREAT results, pick up a AO-44 and do this quick rewiring!

if i ever get around to it, i'll post some audio clips of this thing.

http://paulamps.com/6gw8-2.html

2. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

The fact that it sounds so good confirms a local builder's mantra that the simpler the circuit, the better it sounds.

Geez, and look at that NFB (guessing) that's being introduced at V2...wow....If I'm wrong about that, I sure would like to be straightened out on what is actually going on there.

Very cool circuit.

3. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

I made a few Matchless amps that way