Hammond B3 sound from a guitar????

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by countandduke, Sep 22, 2006.

1. countandduke

countandduke Member

I remember seeing Danny Gatton using a tremolo pedal (I think) with a pretty fast setting and rolling off his tone knob. I have a Boss tremolo pedal but I think I can find a better pedal for this type of thang....any ideas??

Thanks...

Chris

2. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

Man, check out GregV's song 'Bend the Dusty Road'. If that is the sound you are looking for, I have great news for you! You can nail it with an Arion SCZ-1 chorus ($19.95 at Musician's Friend). Very B3/leslie like. Got it from the man himself that that was what he used.

Good luck-

Steve

3. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah, he pulls that off nicely on his first HotLicks video, 'Telemaster'; Neck p-up w/tone rolled off & cranked trem from an old black or brownface. But it's really the chord voicings & technique (fingers, no pick..) that give this illusion its credibility..

I need a bit more help, so I generally haul out the old rotary speaker simulator for this one. A Korg G-4 on the floor or a DigiTech RPM-1 in my rack, but these are both long discontinued.

I've heard lots of good things about the H&K Rotosphere & the BOSS RT-20, to name a couple that are still in production.

Another effect that really enhances the "B-3" emulation's an octave divider/harmonizer of some kind. The ElectroHarmonix Polyphonic Octave Generator, or its newer, bigger, better brother, the Harmonic Octave Generator would be my choice, if I could afford one.. Currently using a Whammy IV (1 & 2 octave-up mode), but it's a bit cheezy sounding - more 'Farfisa' than 'Hammond'..

On the other hand, you can get a pretty good facsimile of the 'fast' Leslie setting w/a cheap chorus pedal. I've also used an old BOSS High Band flanger (HB-2) that sounded pretty cool, as I recall..

4. countandduke

countandduke Member

Cool, thanks for the ideas. I know that in my own playing, double stops really help bring out the '"hammond" vibe....

C

5. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I have both the H&K Rotosphere and the Boss RT 20. Both are fantastic...but the Boss sounds better going straight into the amp.
    If you have an efx loop in your amp, they both sound killer good though it.
    S.
    j

6. erksin

erksin Member

I use a DLS Chorus~Vib set to vibrato for that stuff with a little bit of trem from my amps.

7. Franklin

Franklin Member

I use a POG and my amp's trem, but it isn't great. A little chorus might help, but the actual leslie/doppler effect when the horns go from "fast to slow" can't be replicated. That's the part about a B3 and a leslie cab that I love.....

8. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

Really? I found that the RT-20 was flaky in the loop. Level controls overly sensitive, and an abrupt volume loss/gain close to zero on the gain control. It sounded OK, just didn't seem to be designed to go there.

In front of the amp it sounds great and reacts normally, though.

9. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Let me be more specific.
    IME, the RT20 sounds better in front of the amp than the H&K.
    In the efx loop, they both sound good, with possibly a slight edge to the Rotosphere. The sensitivity you speak of with the Boss unit is something I dealt with initially, but forgot about once I got close enough to the tone I wanted by dialling in the effect on the pedal controls. And, I dont overdrive either pedal, so the gain problem isnt a problem.
    My .02,
    S.
    j

10. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

I'm going to have to check that out. I've hung out with Greg on a few occasions but I never even considered the tone on that track to be anything other than a leslie so I didn't ask him...wow. Greg is such a bad ass! I haven't talked to him in a while, but he said he was moving to Nashville now ya got me wondering what he's up too.

I know the old Arion chorus is quite the ticket for that shimmery vibe (Landau, S. Henderson) but didn't know the new ones carried that vibe.

11. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I just played through a leslie cab for the first time about a week ago, I'm spoiled for life!

12. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I have a POG, Walco Chord & Note Sustainer and Deluxe Memory Man (even a tiny amount of envelope filter helps) that I run through a Fender Champ II driving a '63 Leslie 120 cabinet. It's like a furniture-grade Vibratone, just the speaker cabinet with 2 motors spinning a baffle (just the 12" bass rotor, no treble horn), it's light (sort of), 2 footswitchable speeds and a pretty convenient 8 ohm jack on the back that I can run any 8 ohm output amp into.

That's my solution.

13. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I feel that: fingers and the right tube and amp, speaker is enough, but a fuzz /vibe effect set to low level will nail it pretty good.

Or do what evh did, take a cheap ass casio keyboard through a tube amp!

14. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

As far as POG vs. HOG, yes the HOG is more flexible and the clips of HOG B-3 sounds are good. That said, the HOG doesn't have the +1 and +2 detuned octave sliders that the POG has, though you have so many more options with the HOG, the detuned octaves are a definite plus. If I get a HOG, the POG isn't going anywhere.

I definitely agree that double stops are a huge part of the Hammond sound. Also, no vibrato or bending, as it sounds synth-like with any octave-adding unit.

With a clean guitar sound, I've been having fun using the classical vibrato and going in Leslie-like swells from slow to fast... You have to do the back-and-forth vibrato and not the up and down vibrato style, where you're essentially pulling the string tighter when your hand "waves" towards the headstock and decreasing string tension (going down in pitch) when your hand waves towards the bridge. It helps to start really slowly to get control, then after a while speed it up slowly while trying to maintain the full sweep in pitch...

If you click the myspace music page link in my signature below, you can hear the POG on 3 of the songs, but on "Funk Shui," it's being run through a few other things, including a Deluxe Moon Phaser set for a vibe type sound, it gets the Hammond sound a bit...

I found a Boss HR-2 for $100, among other things, one of the functions that works the best on it (if you want this) is setting one octave below and one above. This is pretty cool, though the HR-2 doesn't really do chords very well. However, on the straight octave settings, it's not bad. I like the weird electronic feel you get when you spin the controls or get it confused and it auto-corrects itself (can't handle overtones/chords!)...

15. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

I immediately smiled at this post. When I reacquainted myself with the guitar, I set up a rig in my office. I turned on, tuned up and something wasn't right. I'm thinking WTF? I changed cables, switched tubes around, everything I could think of. It was a kind of swirly rotary kind of almost an "effect", if you will. I don't know what made me look up at that moment but I saw my dilemma! It was the freakin ceiling fan! I laughed so hard and when I regained my composure, I laid the amp on it's back and slowed the fan down and it was pretty cool! B3-Lite!

I wonder how many cool inventions were accidents? Probably all of them...

BLP

16. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I did that once when I moved to a new duplex... Thought to myself that the empty living room would have cool acoustics, so I got out an acoustic guitar and couldn't figure out what the heck was going on with the sound... Tried a classical guitar... after about 30 seconds of panic and thinking about how all my acoustics could have gotten damaged in the same way in the move, I realized it was the fan (first apartment with overhead fan in the living room)... DOH!

17. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

My garage band buddies were into all kinds of music, as you'd imagine.
    We dug the Rascals, Hammond B3's, and we were sure, that in the song "Groovin", the lyrics went..."Life will be ecstasy, you and me and Leslie", instead of 'endlessly'. I think about that kinky threesome with the Tone Cabinet to this day...

BLP