Hand me a guitar, I’ll play it

swampstomper

Supporting Member
Revelation: As much as I’ve learned reading TGP (and I’ve learned a lot) I’ve come to realize that I’m actually not as picky about guitars and amps as I thought I was. I’ll play a strat. I’ll play a tele. I’ll play a Marshall. I’ll play a Fender. It doesn’t really matter that much. What matters is to play whatever you got or is handed to you to the best of your ability. That should be enough.

Jazzandmore

Gold Supporting Member
For me different guitars bring out different things in my playing. On a jazz hollow body I don’t play the same way as a Strat with a Tremolo. So I’m the opposite, I’m very picky and want a certain feel for certain types of playing.

doc

Supporting Member
I'm with you SS - I just like guitars. I enjoy letting different guitars lead me to play different ways. Sometimes the limitations of some of them make you do something differently enough to open another door. Sometimes the combinations you find are magic, and sometimes the problems lead me to lay a guitar down pretty quickly, but I always enjoy that period of discovery.

metrokosmiko

I wish I was not picky, but I'm real picky about action. Something about too tense strings / too high action just hinders my playing. I might be a bad player.

I'm not picky about gear / tone. Anything is fine, I know how to coax my sound out of anything.

doc

Supporting Member
I will say that if I have a specific job to do I try to pick the right tool, so I probably wouldn't enjoy trying to, for example, use a jazz box in a metal band.

bobcs71

Revelation: As much as I’ve learned reading TGP (and I’ve learned a lot) I’ve come to realize that I’m actually not as picky about guitars and amps as I thought I was. I’ll play a strat. I’ll play a tele. I’ll play a Marshall. I’ll play a Fender. It doesn’t really matter that much. What matters is to play whatever you got or is handed to you to the best of your ability. That should be enough.
I'll play whatever is available & have. Most often a backline amp.
I still purchase something I prefer rather than the closest thing or cheapest thing I can grab at a store

guitarbilly74

Supporting Member
I'll play anything if I'm in a pinch or in a situation where I don't have access to my gear like an impromptu jam, no problem.

But I'm also picky when it comes to my own rig. Guitar is my biggest passion, I'm not going to settle for mediocre instruments.

Guitarworks

I'm the same way. Hand it to me, I'll play it.
The best players I've known are all like that.

Watching and hearing them play makes it abundantly clear that it's not the fret size, it’s not the fretboard radius, it’s not the pickups, it’s not the string gauge, it’s not the neck profile, it’s not the hardware, it’s definitely not the wood species, it’s not the neck joint, it’s not the type of lacquer, it’s not the neck tenon, and it’s not any of the other twenty-seven things that guitarists typically claim are preventing them from playing and sounding their best.

Those guys are good because they practice, they rely on no crutches, and put forth no excuses.

Trending Topics