Hand me a guitar, I’ll play it

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by swampstomper, Aug 13, 2019 at 8:33 PM.

1. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

The best players I've known are all like that.

Watching and hearing them play makes it abundantly clear that it's not the fret size, it’s not the fretboard radius, it’s not the pickups, it’s not the string gauge, it’s not the neck profile, it’s not the hardware, it’s definitely not the wood species, it’s not the neck joint, it’s not the type of lacquer, it’s not the neck tenon, and it’s not any of the other twenty-seven things that guitarists typically claim are preventing them from playing and sounding their best.

Those guys are good because they practice, they rely on no crutches, and put forth no excuses.

2. skinvoyager

skinvoyager Supporting Member

Interesting take, but not sure why you felt the need to preach to people about not being selective with their gear — on a forum dedicated to gear.

I’ll keep playing the guitars and amps I’ve decided are the best fit for me after years of trial and error.

3. bearbike137

bearbike137 Supporting Member

Nope. I love great guitars too much to settle for less. Borrow? Sure. Own? No way.

4. Tootone

Tootone Member

I am with OP.... as long as said guitar is not set up like a dog.

But 0.010" difference in nut width, string spacing, neck profile etc isn't going to result in a hissy fit.

Examples not uncommon on TGP.

"I just dropped $8k on this Fender CS masterbuilt... I love the sound, but find the frets a bit too far apart. I am thinking of modding it with a Warmoth scale length converter and maybe getting a narrower nut width. Has anyone else tried this? Will I need to change saddles/bridge if I get 1 5/16" nut?"

"Roger, we hear ya buddy, thats a Foxtrot Oscar!"

5. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

I'll play anything, but different guitars do bring out different things in me. F'rinstance, I like my vibrato better on Fender-style instruments. There's just something about the geometry that works with my string-shaking, so I enjoy it a little. Same thing with shorter scales working better for faster stuff, for me.

But I'll play anything, and make my peace with it. I've learned a lot doing that.

6. Dr. Tinnitus

Dr. Tinnitus Member

I'll play it.....but might hand it right back. When I was younger, broke and didn't know anything, I did a lot of things I might not do now.

With age should come money, wisdom and better guitars...

CanuckChris likes this.
  7. RayRay

RayRay Silver Supporting Member

It’s funny you posted this. Just tonight I caught myself thinking “gee, I want to order a Suhr Standard and I need it in 10-14” radius” then I thought... do I really?

It’s easy to get caught up in this game

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 9:52 AM
  8. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

Play the Batman theme on the Batman guitar.

[​IMG]

9. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

I understand what you’re saying, and while I don’t disagree, there’s another, more important point.

Just about anyone can play just about any guitar. The real trick though is to find a guitar that you “bond” with. Describing a “bond” is tough, but certain guitars just seem more comfortable and more correct to the player, and are also more likely to bring out the best in the player, usually with less effort than just “any guitar.”

Either you understand exactly what I mean here, or you have no idea at all. But if you do understand, it’s because you’ve had the experience I’m trying to describe, and it’s a great one.

If you “bond” with a guitar, or maybe with a couple of them, you can still play just about any guitar you’re handed.

But playing a guitar that you’ve bonded with is far better. ;)

10. philiprst

philiprst Supporting Member

I can play pretty much any guitar that as a decent setup and doesn't go out of tune. But what I am really looking for in a guitar that I choose to play is something that is inspiring (for want of a better word). I am lucky to own a Charvel GG, a Gibson LP and a Rickenbacker 660/12. Those guitars have very little in common physically but what they do have in common is that, for me, they are inspiring instruments. One of the challenges we face on a forum like this is that it is relatively easy to contrast and compare the physical attributes of particular instruments but very hard to communicate about how a guitar sounds or why it really appeals to us in more intangible ways.

H. Mac likes this.
  11. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

Any average guitar or amp will work just not junk like I started on 40 some years ago.

12. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

That's how I feel. Plug me in and stand back!

swampstomper likes this.
  13. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

Playing any guitar at home, is one thing. When you are hired by a recording artist for studio work or an important show, it's a different matter. I used to record at a studio that had every iconic amp that you could think of. I never powered one up, and choose instead to use my amp, that I was used to. I also tested myself, playing all of my guitars. I knew what guitar I had the most confidence in, and what my backup, second choice was.

MGT likes this.
  14. themannamedbones

themannamedbones Member

One afternoon I got caught in a rainstorm in San Antonio Tx, wandered into Guitar Tex. Bought a very nice Recording King, but here’s the point. I just sat there and the owner kept handing me guitars. It was hands down the greatest guitar store experience of my life.

15. Losov

Losov Member

I'm with the OP, but there are limits.

While out of town I was asked to fill in on bass using one of two: A Fender Precision or a Ric 4003. I dislike those Ric basses, everything about them is wrong for me, so I opted for the Fender. But the guy had flats on it and had the action set to shoot arrows. I played the Ric.

16. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Hand me that Epiphone Dot, 335-style. I'd like to play for you some Steely Dan...

17. ross

ross Silver Supporting Member

I think that I know this guitar. Does it belong to Jim Glass?

18. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    There was a time, prior to losing my radial nerves in my left forearm, when I could play any guitar with any gauge strings, set to any height, and not be embarrassed.

I wasn't as fussy about neck shape and size, or weight of the guitar, etc. However, the older I got, the more fussy I became, for no other reason then I realized that I just preferred specific things about a guitar. Once this came about, I began unloading certain guitars and replaced them with others of the same model that were closer to my preferred specs.

Some players don't care, and others grow into specific desired specs once they have played long enough, and have played enough guitars to where it awakens the differences between guitars in that person. Everyone's different. ymmv :)

Zatyricon likes this.
  19. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Guys.

Don't post the wangaster guitars. It's obviously not work appropriate stuff, and as you can see by the deleted posts...it tends to send a flurry of inappropriate comments.