Hand me a guitar, I’ll play it

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by swampstomper, Aug 13, 2019 at 8:33 PM.

1. paddywhack

paddywhack Silver Supporting Member

....as long as it ain’t no ugly guitar i’m with you...

2. monty

monty Member

I'll play anything, buying is another story.....

CanuckChris likes this.
  3. Salfordlad

Salfordlad Member

A drummer once asked me why I owned and played so many different guitars and amps because I sounded the same whatever I played. It's kind of the same with OD pedals... I always end up dialing them in to a similar place.

4. PartoftheDark

PartoftheDark Member

I don't know. He looks like he's having a blast. I kinda want to try that out now.

jvin248 likes this.
  5. gigs

gigs Member

Yup. Was on a fishing trip in Canada recently. One night after some beers I was handed an acoustic guitar and asked to do some songs. I pick it up, tune it, and start to noodle on it to get a feel for it. Terrible, hideous setup, unplayable beyond the 3rd fret to me. I put it down, they say... well... you gonna play? I said nope... terrible guitar.

6. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

I can't play Strats, their geometry and my body just do not get along. :dunno

7. jackson

jackson Supporting Member

"Bonding" with a guitar is nothing more than practicing on that guitar, and learning how to work it.

8. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

Has anyone else had someone hand you a guitar, that has been in their family for 20 years, that no one has played? They might as well be handing me a tuba.

9. telest

telest Member

If someone hands me a guitar with .013s and high action, I'm screwed :D

10. Dale

Dale Member

I have found, for me, it is less about the guitar as I get older. If it plays reasonable well I can usually make it work. the "gain" or voice for the context for me tends to come more from the gear after the guitar. Pedals, amps, speakers etc seem more likely to limit what I am "inspired" to do with the rig. A pristine clean rig and I play differently from a higher gain rig and the same same and moderate gain rig.

11. MGT

MGT Member

Sure, I can get by with (almost) anything but why should I? It only makes sense to play the guitar(s) that inspire me & that are set up the way I like them. It has nothing to do with money and everything to do with the features that I prefer in a guitar. Some preferences are more practical than others - a wizard neck will have my hand cramping in no time.

12. CanuckChris

CanuckChris Supporting Member

Sure, most people could play any guitar, but finding one that is comfortable and makes you want to continue playing it is a different story. If I'm fighting to play the guitar, whether because of the body ergonomics, neck profile or action, it's unlikely I'll play it very often.

monty likes this.
  13. hitchcockblonde

hitchcockblonde Supporting Member

I'll play and enjoy darned near anything at home or in a studio.

Performing it's kind of different. I sing a lot, and I don't stand still watching my pedalboard but like to work both sides of the stage, strike the occasional mock-rock-star pose, move a lot.

I prefer to play a guitar I've bonded with, am familiar with, and that is reliable (no finicky tuning or "just hit it" electronics. If I have to look down to be sure I'm reaching for the 14th fret and not the 13th, or miss flicking the pickup selector, or it feels unfamiliar, my playing suffers a bit.

monty likes this.
  14. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

Maybe, but probably not. After all, if bonding was “nothing more than practicing on that guitar . . .,” there would be no reason for people to move from beginner-level guitars to nicer guitars that better suit them.

15. jvin248

jvin248 Member

+1 any playable guitar.

Out at the fringes of poor setups and broken bits on a guitar I'll have the simultaneous urge to fix it so it is more playable.

I have found a new guitar often contains new melodies and new inspiration I have not happened across in an older guitar.

16. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

I'm with the OP, hand me a guitar, I'll play it.

And with the others who've said charge me money for that guitar, I'll be a lot more selective. It's not like we don't have plenty to choose from.

17. rumstove

rumstove Member

I was visiting my brother in Portland one time. He and some friends wanted to get together to play some music, but I didn't have a guitar or amp with me. One guy had one of those SX Liquid guitars and an old Peavey Classic 30 combo amp. For effects I used an old Ibanez DUE300 multi-effects unit. It was a far stretch from my SG, Dual Rect, and pedalboard but playing that setup for that day I had a blast.

18. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

which guitar(s) do you hand back?

19. SAVEStheDAY

SAVEStheDAY Member

[​IMG]

20. bob-i

bob-i Member

When I worked at a weekly open mic night you could immediately tell if a musician was going to be good by the length of time it took to setup. The rule was “the talent is inversely proportionate to the setup time”. If someone walked up, plugged in and played, it was gonna be killer, if someone spent 10 minutes dialing in their rig, they were gonna suck.

kkregsg likes this.