Hand me a guitar, I’ll play it

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by swampstomper, Aug 13, 2019 at 8:33 PM.

1. swampstomper

swampstomper Member

The ones that don’t belong to me.

2. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane apolitical Silver Supporting Member

My drummer buddy said "Hey Mickey, did you bring your guitar?" Which I hadn't, so I borrowed a high action Hondo and a Zoom multi-pedal straight into the board. It's just guitar and drums before the twenty some odd people present. You could have slid a #2 pencil between the strings and the board at the 12th fret without touching either one. I asked for allen wrenches, but none were found.

Damn! It sounded awesome and a good time was had by all.

Action that high will affect your lead phrasing and make your fingers sore. Interestingly enough, I got the feeling that the owner didn't want me to mess with the truss rod.

3. RicardoDiazHimself

RicardoDiazHimself Member

When you develop a playing personality/your own style, your tastes for tools become quite specific.
    Sure, Vai could play some stuff on a Tele. But he wouldnt be able to play VAI on a Tele.
    The more idiosyncracies in your playing, the more specific the tool.

4. jackson

jackson Supporting Member

I'm not following your logic. Beginner guitars are more likely to sound bad, and play bad. Nicer guitars are better. To clarify - I like the sound of Gretsch guitars, but I can't play one as well as I can play other models. You can call it bonding, or whatever, but the reason I can't play it well is fact that the guitar itself has some atypical (for me) features, and I'm not accustomed to the features. But, I know I can learn to work with the features, and I know I can play this guitar if I practice enough. The only question is: do I want to spend the time?

5. Drew66

Drew66 Member

I agree with the op, but damned if it doesn’t sound like me through any and all of them.

swampstomper likes this.
  6. swampstomper

swampstomper Member

Yeah, but he could play any guitar or amp and completely blow your mind. He’s an amazing guitar player. That’s my point here. Tools matter, but in the big scheme of things they really aren’t that important in delivering good music.

It’s very easy to get sucked into the minutiae of gear obsession. I call bull crap. Just play. Work at it. Make music that makes others feel good. That’s what matters.

7. RicardoDiazHimself

Indeed, and I get ya. But, at the same time, Vai wouldn't be able to write and play HIS music, the one he wants to share to the world and makes us feel good, without something that resembles his jem's.

8. swampstomper

swampstomper Member

My favorite by Vai is “Call it Sleep”. I met him and asked him about what it meant. Can’t talk about it. Probably a strat direct.

The inanimate items mean nothing. The player matters.

9. RicardoDiazHimself

My favorite is "building the church", I don't think you'd be able to record it/write it like he did without an Universe guitar, so it matters in some instances.

10. s2y

s2y Member

I'd agree with others that setup probably matters more than the type of guitar.

Things that don't work for me:
    High action
    Neck dive
    V shaped necks
    less than a 12" radius

11. TravisE

TravisE Supporting Member

My Twin blew a fuse due to some shorting out right before a festival slot. I had to play pedal steel through an orange amp. Surprisingly enough, it still sounded like a pedal steel. Go figure.

swampstomper likes this.