1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hand-rolled fingerboards on Fenders?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by taylorman22, Feb 17, 2009.

1. taylorman22

taylorman22 Member

What year did Fender start using the hand-rolled edges on the strats? Do they come on just the American Standards or do they come on the deluxe line too?

2. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I believe they come on both, and I think they started in the late 90s. My '01 has it.

3. Blues Fuse

Blues Fuse Member

I think the hand-rolled fingerboards started in 2001 when the "American Standards" became the "American Series" Strats.

4. davejeon02

davejeon02 Member

Wasn't it the other way around? (Am. Series -> Am. Standard?)

5. Joe_Steeler

Joe_Steeler Member

No.
    The fingerboard rolled edges first came out when the American Deluxe Strats came out, back whenever it was. It was a comfort feature along the contoured heel on the American Deluxe Strats.
    Then it spread out into the American series, then the CS 20th MB Ann Strat and the CS '54 MB Anny Strat had them inherently because that is the way they first did them.

The level of roundness varies from guitar to guitar. Some feel a bit sharp and some are very pronounced. A direct result of a manual operation, and they are done by hand. I thought it was a router deal prior to fretting, but a MB told me nope.

As a Masterbuilder told me "Fender droped it, not because it was undesirable, but because it is an expensive process".
    I have ordered 4 CS Strats since then and all feel like an old comfortable leather shoe.