Handheld Recorder Advice

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jetattblue, Jan 25, 2012.

1. jetattblue

jetattblue Member

I am starting to research handheld recorders, and it seems like a crowded field with lots of options. I was hoping that some of you could steer me in the right direction. Basically, here is what I am trying to do. I would like to record my acoustic or my electric/amp in a room, then dump it onto a computer. I would love - although I don't know if it's possible - to be able to mess with the recording on the computer by adding another part, etc.

Is that possible? I am not looking to spend a ton of money. This is more to help me learn songs and hear how they sound.

I would really appreciate any advice you might have.

2. jb4674

jb4674 Member

A friend of mine got a zoom a couple of years ago and he likes it. What is your budget?

3. jetattblue

jetattblue Member

I'd like to stay sub $200, and sub $150 would be even better.

4. mcdonaldkd

mcdonaldkd Member

5. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Bump for more input. If the OP is anything like me, I just want to be able to get a good recording and download it to computer to begin with...

6. chris k

chris k Member

7. Kevbo599

Kevbo599 Silver Supporting Member

I like the Zoom H4N also. OP - since you mentioned wanting to add tracks on the computer do you have recording software on your computer?

8. jetattblue

jetattblue Member

That's some good advice, and I appreciate the link to the roundup article. S360guitarist, you are right on. I just want something that's simple and gives a good recording to put on the computer. This is all new to me, so I'd be curious about what software people would recommend, too.

9. kenneth

kenneth Member

I use the H4n also, but it has a lot of features you probably don't need/want. It is 299. While it is like 3 years old, I still use it A LOT.

Tascam just released a H4n-like competitor, that goes for 199. Haven't used this model, but I suspect it is fine.

Both these models have XLS input, which you may not need, if you want to use the built in mics. If this is the case, you probably can use the H2n, or simiar tascam. H2n looks interesting as it can do a lot of different stereo configurations and has several different kinds of built-in mics. If it is anything like the H4n mics, I find them actually decent. H2n = 199.

As long as you can get a wav file, you can import into DAW of your choice, and do as you describe above. The only issue with this approach (in general) becomes syncing the imported tracks from the portable recorder, with the DAW timeclock, but this is possible to do, too.

10. Fran Guidry

Fran Guidry Member

The Zoom H4n and H2n recorders also work as an audio interface, so they facilitate adding tracks in the computer.

Fran

11. cap47

cap47 Member

The Line6 Backtrack also produces WAV files and does a great job of recording with the built in mic. Can also connect thru 1/4 guitar cord and input thru the amp. USB interface!