Handheld Recorder Advice

pkevinb

I'm shopping for a handheld recorder to record our band practice so that I will have something to practice with at home.

I'm looking to keep it below $2oo, preferably $150 and just need something simple and easy to use. What I am most concerned about is quality of sound and durability. I'm currently looking at the Zoom H2n and the Tascam DR-05 or possibly the DR-22WL.

If anyone has any advice or other suggestions I would appreciate it.

maydaynyc

Gold Supporting Member
They all work well and will fit your needs. I've had mine for about 8 years without one single problem. If you are the type of person who takes care of your equipment it will last a very long time. I have a Zoom H4n.

Digitalman

I'm picking up a Tascam DR05 for rehearsals and sampling. I did some online research and that one seemed to stand out as pretty decent.

Nevets

Silver Supporting Member
I used a Zoom H1 for years and it worked perfectly well. Just so easy to use, press one button and you're recording. No fuss. Gave it to a friend and use a Zoom H4N Pro now.

RustyAxe

I've had the Zoom H2n for a few years ... it's a great tool. Excellent sound quality, dynamic FX (limiting, compression), auto gain, easy to use. If you go this route get the accessory kit, too. The remote control is very useful at rehearsals. Five mic capsules! I'd buy another.

pbmw

I've got a DR22wl and it does just fine. Had a remote ap to your phone that does not require a router.

sants

What type of phone do you have?

The reason I ask is that I got tired of recording to a recorder and having to plug into computer to cut it down or send it out.

There are some great mics for phones out there. I have a shure mv88 for my iPhone and it beats the little zoom I used to use.

I can cut right from my phone and email or text it out in seconds.

There are others and mics for droid devices as well.

pkevinb

I have a Motorola Droid and installed a recording app on it but it didn't work so well when I tried it today. At any rate, I ordered a Zoom H2n which I think will fit my needs.

sants

I have a Motorola Droid and installed a recording app on it but it didn't work so well when I tried it today. At any rate, I ordered a Zoom H2n which I think will fit my needs.
You need a good add on mic to make phone recording worthwhile.

The zoom should work well for you.

istantodf

Was thinking of getting a zoom for the same purpose. Also wanted to use it for recording demos and writing parts ect. You can multi track with the zoom, correct?

Nevets

Silver Supporting Member
You can multi track with the zoom, correct?

Most of the higher end ones, like the Zoom H5 and 6, can record to multiple tracks. But if you want the overdubbing, multitrack, record one track at a time approach, then the Zoom H4n is the only one that really does this.

I used a Zoom H1 for years and it worked perfectly well. Just so easy to use, press one button and you're recording. No fuss. Gave it to a friend and use a Zoom H4N Pro now.
+1 i have used zoom h1 for simple live recording either from built in mics or direct feed from the board.

cubistguitar

I have used a Zoom H2 for years and love to use it.
A friend has a Tascam and I admit his recording sound more mid rich, very focused.
Band I am in uses a Zoom H4 for practice recording etc. Easy fun to use.

vashuba

Silver Supporting Member
i just got one of these $10 old Tascam iPhone 4 mic
https://www.borsarionline.it/media/...33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/t/a/tasim2w.png.jpeg

and got one of these adapters for my iPhone 6 $30

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom