Handle For A Mesa Maverick?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by soundchaser59, Mar 20, 2015.

1. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

Got a tan Maverick with a handle that's a bit worn, still works, but I wouldn't mind putting a new one on. Can't find anything quite like it on the Mesa site.

It's exactly like this one. Can't seem to find one exactly like it anywhere. Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

2. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

I bet if you called Mesa, they'd probably have one.

3. icr

icr Member

That is an odd handle. My Maverick, Blue Angel and Tremoverb all have handles similar to this:
    [​IMG]

4. soundchaser59

My Maverick has a very low serial number, one of the first ones to be sold me thinks. They may have changed the hardware after they sold a few. I haven't pulled the chassis yet to see how my handle is mounted. I did email Mesa to see if they still have an original.

5. soundchaser59

Turns out Mesa has plenty of originals to sell, and they have the cooling fans too. Better git one......

6. icr

icr Member

That is great you can get an original. If you are going to fix-up that amp, post a picture when you are done. I recently cleaned up my Maverick I have had since the early 1990s. I was going to sell it, but was going through a 'Lee Ritenour' phase and heard some nice sounds from Lee playing through a Maverick in this video:

7. les_paul

les_paul Member

In general their customer support is awesome. Their web site, however, blows in terms of looking for parts. I would always advise calling them.

8. SteveO

SteveO Member

That's because they're an amp builder, not a parts retailer. The fact that they're so generous with selling (and often giving away) parts is just a nice bonus.

9. cardinal

cardinal Member

Yeah Mesa customer support is pretty great. Just give them a call and they can get you whatever parts for a pretty friendly price, I've found.

10. soundchaser59

I suspect they have a newer site where I can not find anything I want, and an older site that has no link to the newer site. I found a link in a google search once that took me to some parts pages at Mesa, and I remember thinking it was a hidden gem......and it was real because they had everything on that page when I called them. But a few weeks later there was no way I could find it again. If you find it and buy from it or order from it they will honor it, but it isn't linked to at all from their current home site.

11. soundchaser59

That's what they sent me, and that does not fit my amp.

I did specify in the original contact email using their web site contact form, and on the phone when I ordered it.....I specifically said "Maverick one twelve combo."

They sent the larger tan stitched handle, same as your photo above, the bracket holes are not even close to lining up. The receipt they put in the box says "Maverick 212 Combo."

I guess I shoulda sent them my photo.......since everybody on several forums seems to know the two amps do not always have the same handle, you'd think the folks at Mesa would know that as well.

Here is a photo of my actual amp's handle.....
    [​IMG]

12. icr

icr Member

Just some thoughts:
    1) Your amp handle is very rare.
    2) Most people that look at it might think the handle is wrong (like I did).
    3) No one (even the people at MESA) would know what it originally looked like if you changed it.
    4) You could replace it with something similar (like Peavey 30; see below) that covers the marks left by the old one.
    5) If $$ is no problem, re-plate the ends and try an automobile seat leather restoration system on the leather (http://www.leatherique.com/)

[​IMG]

13. soundchaser59

That's what I was hoping for.....a tip on which amps have the same kind of handle, giving me another option for finding one that fits.....if Mesa no longer has one. That Classic 30 handle looks like exactly what I need. I wonder if it measures the same?

14. soundchaser59

A different guy from Mesa Support got back to me and said they do have the correct Maverick handle, and it is on its way to my house as we speak.

Super CooooooL!