• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Handsdown best overdrive pedal for BASS??

71strat

Well, while doubtfully the best the Joyo Orange Juice pedal gives me exactly the kind of low-medium really clanky biting overdrive I need for some pieces I play, with a little clean signal mixed in as well from having it in one of the effects loops in my Boss LS-2 with the other effects loop kept empty.

Other than that I run my EHX Black Finger (tube driven optical compressor) mostly as an always on tube preamp, with very little compression dialed in, but the tubes in it driven in to mild breakup when I dig in hard.

The EHX Black Finger would be a really good solution actually if what you want is just a little tube breakup and warmth or a mild overdrive that doesn't steal the low frequencies from your signal and sounds like a mildly overdriven tube amp.

For a much cheaper alternative the Joyo American Sound is quite good at that too, though it doesn't utilizes any real tubes.

Blackfinger is HIGHLY UNDERRATED. For Guitar, and Bass....

Frog FX 1

Frog Tube Preamp Fx1 Studio – FrogPedals.com

frogpedals.com/index.php/product/frog-tube-preamp-fx1

NoiseNinja

Blackfinger is HIGHLY UNDERRATED. For Guitar, and Bass....

Frog FX 1

Frog Tube Preamp Fx1 Studio – FrogPedals.com

frogpedals.com/index.php/product/frog-tube-preamp-fx1
Looks like an interesting pedal.

And yes, the EHX Black Finger is a truly great pedal, though personally I am not much into compression.

But it works great as a tube preamp as well, as is, as said, how I use it with my bass setup, or even as a tube overdrive, which is how I use it in my guitar setup.

Maggot

The one's I've liked (I'm not so interested in the best of anything) are the Way Huge Pork Loin and the full-size Spark Booster.

RichSnyder

Silver Supporting Member
My fave is Creation Audio’s Grizzly. If I played newer metal, I’d go Darkglass B7K. My main basses have onboard OD which covers most of my drive needs. (Alien Audio)

I doubt that there is "a best". Here are a few that I like for bass:

- Mad Professor Simble (with the gain set at 10-11 o'clock, very full and smooth sounding)
- MI Audio Crossover Driver (I like how this pedal retains low end. One other aspect is that the pedal feels hard on the attack, which is something that I don't like as much for guitar use but for bass it is fine)

Lopp

My fave is Creation Audio’s Grizzly. If I played newer metal, I’d go Darkglass B7K. My main basses have onboard OD which covers most of my drive needs. (Alien Audio)
Good to see all the Darkglass love.

I am only a casual bass player using a Fractal Audio AX8, but was searching for the bass tone inside my head for some metal tunes and the Darkglass B7K (Blackglass 7K drive pedal model) delivered perfectly in front of an Ampeg SVT amp (SV Bass amp model).

Thank you for verifying that actual bass players also like the Darkglass B7K.

Recently I discovered two more which I had in my collection:

- Thorpy Peacekeeper
- Way Huge Pork Loin

I found that I did not like the pedals as much for bass which cut a lot of low end such as all tube screamers and variants thereof.

Trending Topics