Handwired Cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dwvinky, Mar 2, 2012.

1. dwvinky

dwvinky Member

Is there really any other way to wire speakers to a jack? Gimmick or do some people possess magic speaker wiring abilities?

2. vain_guitarist

vain_guitarist Member

Quick-connect clips is another way. When done properly (with proper tension) these can work very well. The risks is when done improperly, they can eventually become loose and intermittent or worse, come off the jack or the speaker and stop working.

"Hand-wired speaker cabinet" makes me think of all connections being soldered by hand. I generally wire the jack with soldered connections and use quick-connects for the speaker connections. At some point in time, a speaker might need to be changed and quick-connects are simply too convenient to pass up. That said, I have had one client insist on all connections being hand-soldered.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Handwired cabs are much less smelly than footwired cabs.

4. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

I've always wondered the same thing....

5. oinge

oinge Member

As far as Marshalls go, its just a name used to complement the "hand wired" amp series which seems more appropriate in terms of amplifiers. That said, there are other construction aspects that differentiate the hand wired cabinets from the other Marshall lines. Soldered vs spade connectors, plywood vs particle board back, different tolex/grille materials. They are noticeably better. I've owned many marshall cabinets and currently have the handwired 4x12 with g12h-55's. Very nice cabinet.

6. gtrdaddy

gtrdaddy Supporting Member

I think you probably hit the nail square on the head Sir.:D

7. oinge

oinge Member

After all who in their right mind would pair a HAND WIRED amp with anything other than a HAND WIRED cabinet??? That's like serving a rare fillet with a slice of Velveeta on top.

8. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

I think the term was coined by Marshall, which made special design cabs to go with their HW series. The cabs actual wiring therefore has very little to do with the expression, but more like 'true to vintage spec cab'.

I have not looked inside one of these cabs, but as some has already stated: possibly the speakers have soldered connections, which is a positive. But other than that... ;)

9. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

I laughed when I saw that too, as opposed to PCB cabs?

They use all the buzz words to sell stuff. It's like the antibacterial soap craze duh, all soap has always been antibacterial it's corrosive alkaline sodium hydroxide for cryin' out loud.

The herd runs this way our produce is this way, the herd runs that way our new product (same product) is that way. That's how you end up with a class A push pull speaker cab hand wired with aircraft grade Ukrainian birch ply and stainless steel tone screws.

RRC

10. Ryan

Ryan Member

Hey man, say what you will about tone screws, but all I know is if I don't have tone screws my tone is screwed. ;)

11. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

Corrosive Alkaline...huh?
    Good post, made me laugh!

12. KWCabs

KWCabs Member

Actually yes, as opposed to PCB cabs. At least in our case. Most companies that offer stereo wired cabinets use PCBs with a switch, like Marshall. A handwired cabinet, at least in our case, uses point to point hand soldered wiring. The difference is of course not only attention to detail, but stronger mechanical joints as opposed to potentially thin PCB joints and that's very important in an area that is constantly subjected to high vibration. We also use heavier gauge wire to maximize signal transfer.

Also, disconnect clips are a perfectly viable alternative to soldered speaker connections. In many ways they are superior because they allow ease of use and 0 risk of a cold solder joint. That said, it's a matter of preference, and as a person above said, when done correctly fine, but some may do them poorly and likewise could potentially lead to issues.

13. gtrdaddy

gtrdaddy Supporting Member

:roll:roll:roll:roll:roll:roll:roll:roll:roll:roll:roll:roll:roll:roll:roll:roll:roll:roll

14. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

Dang it! I got my robot to wire my cab up!! I'm a gonna have to do it myself, so it has mojo!

15. dwvinky

dwvinky Member

I always rewire my cabs with heavy gauge copper stranded wire and solder all connections. Guess that makes them worth more than i paid.

16. jp1977

jp1977 Member

Also, with Marshall's the handwired have uk made celestions and the production have Chinese, and the connections are soldered on instead of the clips.

17. cram

cram Member

marketing and sales speak slays me.

my cabs have been "hand wired" from the start. I never knew they were sporting such a candy feature! :)

18. Tele Wacker

Tele Wacker Member

Hand wired speaker cabs! That's a new one for me although I've seen some wiring jobs that looked like no hands were involved.

dw, I also like the copper wire with solder.

19. jimbo13

jimbo13 Member

Look at the wires that lead from the terminals to the voice coil. It's tiny. Is heavy gauge wire from the jack to the speaker really going to help?

20. dwvinky

dwvinky Member

I cant help they've been wiring speakers incorrectly all this time. :facepalm