• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Handwired Hi Gain single channel amps

dingleberry1

My favourite amps are very simple single channel no fx loop hi gain amps that take pedals well and clean up nicely with the guitars volume pot. Any handwired guys doing a straight up hi gainer?

Crikey

Depends what you mean by high gain. Lots of boutique plexi clones out there. MetroAmp and Germino are good.

You might be into Trainwreck and wreck-inspired amps like Komets.

Alessandro Bloodhound.

Red Iron T-Rex is what I'm digging right now.

I played a Suhr hand-wired SE100 that was really high gain and sounded great, but sadly it was not in my price range. The other Suhr hand-wired series amps look cool too: SL68, SH-100.

mpsa01

Talk to Ben Verellen at Verellen Amplifiers. He'll build you exactly what you want.

Despite it being twin channel, check out his Skyhammer head for reference. Sure he could do you an amp which is just the higher gain channel of that amp.

dingleberry1

Talk to Ben Verellen at Verellen Amplifiers. He'll build you exactly what you want.

Despite it being twin channel, check out his Skyhammer head for reference. Sure he could do you an amp which is just the higher gain channel of that amp.
Verellen amps sound awesome! A local band Swarm of Spheres plays heavy as f*ck stoner metal through a Sky Hammer coincidentally enough.

My current amps are a Traynor YBA1mod1 and a Jet City JCA20h with a choke mod. Really enjoy them both of them for different jobs of course, however a few years back I got some handwound pickups that were real game changers for me. Having recently picked up a TS808HW I'm really blown away by how much more I like it than my old OD808. So naturally I'm starting to wonder if a handwired amp would be fun new addition. Just trying to see whats out there that I might not have heard of.

Looks like Mako's site is down, I was checking out hiwatt, reeves, bad cat, friedman last night. Let me know what else is out there please!

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
"High Gain" and "Takes Pedals well" don't usually go together. BC audio Amp no. 8 is pretty cool single channel pretty high gain. Wiring is amazing.

Silent Sound

"High Gain" and "Takes Pedals well" don't usually go together.
My thoughts exactly. Also, I don't think of "high gain" and "cleans up with the guitar's volume knob" as usually going together. I guess it depends on what you call "high gain" though.

dazco

My favourite amps are very simple single channel no fx loop hi gain amps that take pedals well and clean up nicely with the guitars volume pot. Any handwired guys doing a straight up hi gainer?
Yes, i actually have a amp i built just like that because i love a simple amp that you can control the gain and tone from your guitar. I built it to maximize that attribute along with great tone. No loop, just a DI out right from the speaker out that i send to a second amp for a bit of verb or delay. That way the main amp stays pure. The right amp and you have the simplest easiest to control setup that can get anything but pristine fender clean, but lets face it, who needs that ! (kidding, but only somewhat:D)

But i should say, it's not that hi gain. Maybe about as much as a PV classic 30 or blues Jr. But a clean boost will get you hi gain when u need it.

Probos

Roccaforte did the HG100 -- single channel, handwired PTP goodness. Beastly amp.

trailrun100s

My Bray 4550 might fall into that category...

Cleans up very well with the volume knob...

Here are two short example just by regulating the volume knob...

Hi Gain:
[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/howiesternmusic/bray-spray-two-notes[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Volume knob rolled back: sorry if it is too bright sounding, it was the IR I used...but you can still get a feel for the backed off volume sound...

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/howiesternmusic/bray-two-note-little-wing[/SOUNDCLOUD]

If you want a balls out high gain amp that is something very special. I really would encourage listening to the 3rd Power RPO or HD100. They are something special.

I'll get a demo up soon but I'm on my way to Nashville for the next few days.

Promit

Your description has Soldano Avenger written all over it. I bet Phaez could do one for you (it'd be an Asheville variation).

Sean413

Phaez daisy cutter. I have a lil 8 watter and the thing shreds and it always cleans up with a volume pot and loves overdrives

gldtp99

Sounds like you're describing a Marshall 2204-type amp----- I'm not sure what you consider Hi Gain but pushed with the right pedal, these amps can cover a lot of territory.
Real 2204's also have Hi/Lo guitar inputs where the Lo bypasses one gain stage for more tone options.

For a tone range demo--- here's a 2204 type circuit (turret board) I built into a 1955 Webster PA head---- this one has stiffer filtering, larger capacity PT, and other changes to better handle low tuned playing.
First clip (amp set clean) has a digital delay and the second (amp set for distortion) is boosted by an OD pedal:

Real Marshall 2204's have PCB construction as do some of the amps suggested above----and most of the amps mentioned are modded versions of the MV Marshall circuit.
A properly serviced JMP 2204 is a great sounding amp that covers a lot of ground---- I suggest looking into a real Marshall 2204 before buying something else......................gldtp99

dingleberry1

I've been watching youtube clips all night there are some incredible sounding amps out there! I'm most impressed by the Phaez amps so far but still have lots of research all

phonix

Fryette Deliverance is also a great choice:

http://www.sfdamp.com/deliverance.html

No effects loop on that one, so maybe even closer to what you're looking for.
I have the D60, and it takes pedals extremely well, and cleans up beautifully with the volume knob. All out it absolutely slays, extremely heavy loads of gain if needed, does crunch in all flavours and spanking cleans if you want them.

My thoughts exactly. Also, I don't think of "high gain" and "cleans up with the guitar's volume knob" as usually going together. I guess it depends on what you call "high gain" though.
I'm pretty shocked how much the deliverance cleans up rolling it off, I didn't think it was possible to that extent before I owned it.

RAR

I have a one off custom amp by Doug Roccaforte with HG circuit, that according to Doug was tweaked for more gain and voiced darker than his standard HG circuit at the time. It was built in 2001 so his newer designs I'm sure have more gain. However, this amp has a ton of gain and I usually have it around 9' o'clock, and I can go from beautiful cleans to screaming leads with my volume knob on the guitar. I don't know if he is still building amps, though.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom